T Nation

What's Wrong with Our Gov?

I thought it would be a neat idea to post things that make you say, “WTF is wrong with our government!”

Then, if possible, we can discuss why we agree or disagree.

For example, Breitbart is reporting that Nancy Pelosi was against a congressional pay cut because it would undermine the dignity of the job.

“I don’t think we should do it; I think we should respect the work we do,” Pelosi said. “I think it’s necessary for us to have the dignity of the job that we have rewarded.”

Really, the amount of money you make directly correlates to your level of dignity…wtf is wrong with our government!

If this thread gets legs, and I hope it does, I’ll do my fair share of complaining, but as of right now I’d say: the people that elect these assfaces.

Senate Democrats offer plan to avert mandatory cuts:

Dems offer this:

“The package made public by Senate Democratic leaders calls for replacing the so-called sequester cuts with a combination of increased tax revenue from millionaires, ending agriculture subsidies and reducing defense spending after the war in Afghanistan ends.”

Repubs offer this:
“However, the GOP opposes any increase in tax rates or other steps to bring in more tax revenue, saying the nation needs to reduce the cost of government.”

White House says this:

A White House statement said that opposing what it called the balanced plan by Senate Democrats would amount to prioritizing “tax loopholes that benefit the very few at the expense of middle- and working-class Americans.”

Folks, you can disagree there is no need to play games like children, wtf is wrong with our government?

In the mid 1800s, duelling went out and filibustering came in.

Nothing says you believe in something like duelling to the death for it. Nothing clarifies the word ‘Right’ or earns the title of Representative like the muzzle of a gun.

[quote]lucasa wrote:

Nothing says you believe in something like duelling to the death for it. Nothing clarifies the word ‘Right’ or earns the title of Representative like the muzzle of a gun.

[/quote]

I choose this, or maybe but them in an octagon and see who submits first.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]lucasa wrote:

[/quote]

I choose this, or maybe but them in an octagon and see who submits first.[/quote]

Half of them would have a heart attack just warming up.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]lucasa wrote:

[/quote]

I choose this, or maybe but them in an octagon and see who submits first.[/quote]

Half of them would have a heart attack just warming up. [/quote]

And Miss Nancy’s face would blow a gasket and deflate.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]lucasa wrote:

[/quote]

Half of them would have a heart attack just warming up. [/quote]

As an added bonus, the issue of ‘Term Limits’ becomes somewhat moot.

People elect officials who cater to their needs, and currently we have a LOT more people who want the government to give them free shit.

Hence our current situation.

The voters.

Not saying we could or should change our government structure, but ultimately the failure of the government lies at the feet of the people who voted (or didn’t vote) for their representation. For what it’s worth, it’s a problem on both sides of the aisle. Sadly, I do not see an easy remedy to the problem unless there is some kind of miraculous increase in awareness and selflessness in our ever increasingly unaware and selfish society.

[quote]CornSprint wrote:
The voters.

Not saying we could or should change our government structure, but ultimately the failure of the government lies at the feet of the people who voted (or didn’t vote) for their representation. For what it’s worth, it’s a problem on both sides of the aisle. Sadly, I do not see an easy remedy to the problem unless there is some kind of miraculous increase in awareness and selflessness in our ever increasingly unaware and selfish society.[/quote]

Yep, if you take a look at the average person, I’m surprised government is doing as good as it is.

And that’s why voting is a privilege and not a right. As soon as everyone can do it, it loses it’s value.

Edit: Meant to say should be a privilege and not a right.

[quote]CornSprint wrote:
The voters.

Not saying we could or should change our government structure, but ultimately the failure of the government lies at the feet of the people who voted (or didn’t vote) for their representation. For what it’s worth, it’s a problem on both sides of the aisle. Sadly, I do not see an easy remedy to the problem unless there is some kind of miraculous increase in awareness and selflessness in our ever increasingly unaware and selfish society.[/quote]Not bad.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
And that’s why voting is a privilege and not a right. As soon as everyone can do it, it loses it’s value.

Edit: Meant to say should be a privilege and not a right.[/quote]

I don’t think you really want that either.

[quote]CornSprint wrote:
The voters.
[/quote]

The problem is the people. There are too many with too many capricious opinions. I’m not joking about dueling.

[quote]lucasa wrote:

[quote]CornSprint wrote:
The voters.
[/quote]

The problem is the people. There are too many with too many capricious opinions. I’m not joking about dueling.
[/quote]

By “the people” I assume you are talking about the elected officials. As far as the reintroduction of dueling goes, I may be mistaken in my history, but I thought dueling only really ever came about as a result of personal clashes. While a clash of opinion could lead to a duel, I really do not think it would do anything to make the problems in our government disappear.

Things I think could (to varying degrees) help our government become more effective:
-One six year term for the presidency
-To filibuster, you must actually filibuster. While I understand the method of voting to filibuster/block the filibuster is far more efficient, I think that it takes a lot more guts to stand in front of the chamber and speak for hours on end. If anything, I feel this would also decrease the instances of filibustering we see while still allowing the minority to stand up to the majority when needed.
-Remove the idea of the Super PAC/work to reduce the influence of outside money on major campaigns. Frankly put, the amount of money spent by campaigns is staggering. Money may speak, but right now it is speaking far more than it should in politics.
-Candidates for office must submit a written document with clear answers to questions about their positions on major issues. A separate board will screen the documents and determine if the answers have been answered fully. Until the questions are answered fully, the individual may not run for office. This can be a edited document, but all revisions will be kept as public record for citizens to access.

There are obviously more but those were the first couple that popped into my head.

I think any elected offical should have to file a personal financial statement publicly, subject to audit. Every year.

I think that EVERY member of government, from president to congress to an employee at the DMV, should have an 8 year term limit. I would be open to some exceptions to that, but as a general rule, I stand by it.

I believe that there should be ZERO salary for congress, Judges, or the executive branch. This serves two purposes: A) one would have to be fairly successful (and therefore intelligent, a go getter and everything that being successful implies) so as to have a substantial amount of savings to be able to afford to serve in public office; and B) it would make term limits easier to enforce, because people would be unwilling to take too many “earning years” off to serve in government.

I also believe that Citizenship is something that should be earned. Sure, if you are born here, we can’t kick you out and there is no “penalty” for not being a Citizen (you can own property, start a business, etc…). But in order to take part in the political process or bear arms, you have to earn it. Two years compulsory service in either civil or military service AND the ability to pass a citizenship exam both oral and written IN ENGLISH. Obviously you’d have to be a Citizen to run for public office.

To qualify for the office of President, or Commander in Chief, will all the power of the strongest military in the world at your fingertips, then you shall have served in the military, IN A COMBAT ZONE.

The criminal justice system needs to be completely overhauled. That could be a thread in and of itself.

I think the “sin” laws need to be abolished (prostitution, certain drugs under certain amounts, laws on the books governing oral and anal sex that still exist). Giving people multiple years for a dime bag of weed or confiscating their vehicle over a $20 blowjob is fucking stupid.

Immigration should be handled by coming down hard as fuck on the people who employ illegal immigrants - make turning a blind eye to save a few bucks in labor too high a price if you are caught. But, give EVERYONE a worker id number so that EVERYONE can be taxed. Those who chose to enter the country illegally can NEVER become citizens. Those who play by the rules and enter legally can have a path to citizenship.

I would abolish the IRS and implement a flat tax. If you spend, you pay. I would not tax food staples such as milk, bread, meat, flour, sugar, beans, veggies, fruits, etc. I would tax processed foods, soda and junk food.

Break up the internet and cable companies for anti trust violations and make it illegal for them to “bundle”. Our cost for internet is ten times that of other countries and it is slower - fucking ridiculous.

Reform tort law, patent law, all those other fucking laws that do nothing but complicate our lives. They really are not necessary. I know that this may slow innovation down. But that MIGHT actually be a good thing. Too much change in a short time causes many unforeseen problems.

Campaign finance reform. Get the money out of politics. Make being a lobbyist illegal. An industry should not be allowed to pay an individual to have a job description that consists solely to wine, dine and bribe the people responsible for our political process so that it furthers their industry. That’s bullshit.

Overhaul public assistance. If you don’t work, you don’t eat. Stop incentives for women to become baby factories so that they can get a bigger welfare check.

Give homeless people food and shelter, but make them earn it with volunteer service.

Get rid of the 501 © tax exempt organizations that don’t have to do with managing pensions. This MIGHT actually encourage more companies to provide pensions for their employees and subsequently lessen the demand for social security.

Which brings us to entitlements, at last. We need to phase out of that ponzi scheme. Some sort of social safety net would be helpful, perhaps open only to citizens, and only a small amount. But every one needs to stop acting like an entitled child and save some fucking money for retirement. Not having a capital gains tax would encourage this.

One of my more radical ideas, that I’m not so sure about, but find interesting and would like a debate on is this: getting rid of fiat currency and returning to the gold standard. HOW could that best be accomplished? I think it would seriously rock our economic system to the ground, but I think it would be worth it in the long term… I mean printing money is simply unsustainable.

It is government by the corporations for the corporations. That is the problem.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
I think that EVERY member of government, from president to congress to an employee at the DMV, should have an 8 year term limit. I would be open to some exceptions to that, but as a general rule, I stand by it.

I believe that there should be ZERO salary for congress, Judges, or the executive branch. This serves two purposes: A) one would have to be fairly successful (and therefore intelligent, a go getter and everything that being successful implies) so as to have a substantial amount of savings to be able to afford to serve in public office; and B) it would make term limits easier to enforce, because people would be unwilling to take too many “earning years” off to serve in government.

I also believe that Citizenship is something that should be earned. Sure, if you are born here, we can’t kick you out and there is no “penalty” for not being a Citizen (you can own property, start a business, etc…). But in order to take part in the political process or bear arms, you have to earn it. Two years compulsory service in either civil or military service AND the ability to pass a citizenship exam both oral and written IN ENGLISH. Obviously you’d have to be a Citizen to run for public office.

To qualify for the office of President, or Commander in Chief, will all the power of the strongest military in the world at your fingertips, then you shall have served in the military, IN A COMBAT ZONE.

The criminal justice system needs to be completely overhauled. That could be a thread in and of itself.

I think the “sin” laws need to be abolished (prostitution, certain drugs under certain amounts, laws on the books governing oral and anal sex that still exist). Giving people multiple years for a dime bag of weed or confiscating their vehicle over a $20 blowjob is fucking stupid.

Immigration should be handled by coming down hard as fuck on the people who employ illegal immigrants - make turning a blind eye to save a few bucks in labor too high a price if you are caught. But, give EVERYONE a worker id number so that EVERYONE can be taxed. Those who chose to enter the country illegally can NEVER become citizens. Those who play by the rules and enter legally can have a path to citizenship.

I would abolish the IRS and implement a flat tax. If you spend, you pay. I would not tax food staples such as milk, bread, meat, flour, sugar, beans, veggies, fruits, etc. I would tax processed foods, soda and junk food.

Break up the internet and cable companies for anti trust violations and make it illegal for them to “bundle”. Our cost for internet is ten times that of other countries and it is slower - fucking ridiculous.

Reform tort law, patent law, all those other fucking laws that do nothing but complicate our lives. They really are not necessary. I know that this may slow innovation down. But that MIGHT actually be a good thing. Too much change in a short time causes many unforeseen problems.

Campaign finance reform. Get the money out of politics. Make being a lobbyist illegal. An industry should not be allowed to pay an individual to have a job description that consists solely to wine, dine and bribe the people responsible for our political process so that it furthers their industry. That’s bullshit.

Overhaul public assistance. If you don’t work, you don’t eat. Stop incentives for women to become baby factories so that they can get a bigger welfare check.

Give homeless people food and shelter, but make them earn it with volunteer service.

Get rid of the 501 © tax exempt organizations that don’t have to do with managing pensions. This MIGHT actually encourage more companies to provide pensions for their employees and subsequently lessen the demand for social security.

Which brings us to entitlements, at last. We need to phase out of that ponzi scheme. Some sort of social safety net would be helpful, perhaps open only to citizens, and only a small amount. But every one needs to stop acting like an entitled child and save some fucking money for retirement. Not having a capital gains tax would encourage this.

One of my more radical ideas, that I’m not so sure about, but find interesting and would like a debate on is this: getting rid of fiat currency and returning to the gold standard. HOW could that best be accomplished? I think it would seriously rock our economic system to the ground, but I think it would be worth it in the long term… I mean printing money is simply unsustainable.[/quote]

Great post AC.