What's Wrong with My Squat?

[quote]undesired08 wrote:
mrodock wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
I think I will look pretty stupid squatting like this.

I definitely disagree. A good squat is a passed squat. You can perfect the technique after the meet, but you have nothing to feel self conscious about.

x2
The only thing that matters is you and the weight. Get a minimum of 2 whites and it could be the “ugliest” squat in history, it’s still a good squat.
[/quote]

Very well. Ive been pretty worried the last few days about this, now im feeling pretty damn good.

Thanks guys.

mrodock wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:

I definitely disagree. A good squat is a passed squat. You can perfect the technique after the meet, but you have nothing to feel self conscious about.

x2
The only thing that matters is you and the weight. Get a minimum of 2 whites and it could be the “ugliest” squat in history, it’s still a good squat.
[/quote]

You guys are right, but if he has a problem with his squat, why wouldnt he fix it? Maybe he can squat 320 now or whatever, and after fixing his problem he can get up 375.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
undesired08 wrote:
mrodock wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:

x2

Very well. Ive been pretty worried the last few days about this, now im feeling pretty damn good.

Thanks guys.[/quote]

Do you have flexible glutes yes or no? Do you have flexible hamstrings, yes or no?

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
undesired08 wrote:
mrodock wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:

x2

You guys are right, but if he has a problem with his squat, why wouldnt he fix it? Maybe he can squat 320 now or whatever, and after fixing his problem he can get up 375.

[/quote]

He has been training a while with this same form. The last thing you want to do is modify your technique the week before a meet. Especially on the squat. How many 1st timers bomb on squats? Not many, because they are told CONSTANTLY to keep it simple. Unfortunately not all listen. Also, if you look at his stability, he will need to ramp up his core work as well. Time and fine-tuning his workouts are what’s needed.

B.L., hit me up after your meet, if you really want to get your squat up. We can talk about things that have worked for me. I’m not the best tall squatter in the country, but I obsess about it EVERY DAY.

Shadowzz4 wrote:
undesired08 wrote:
mrodock wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:

x2

He has been training a while with this same form. The last thing you want to do is modify your technique the week before a meet. Especially on the squat. How many 1st timers bomb on squats? Not many, because they are told CONSTANTLY to keep it simple. Unfortunately not all listen. Also, if you look at his stability, he will need to ramp up his core work as well. Time and fine-tuning his workouts are what’s needed.

B.L., hit me up after your meet, if you really want to get your squat up. We can talk about things that have worked for me. I’m not the best tall squatter in the country, but I obsess about it EVERY DAY.

[/quote]

I am not near the best tall squatter there is and I obsess about it as well. I def agree with you about changing for before a meet, but I think he can improve his hip mobility, which should help him down the road.

I switched from a narrower stance to a wide stance about 4 weeks out from my last meet. I added 40lbs instantly and ended up squatting more than i thought i could at the meet.

Not saying you should do this, but it was clear to me once i switched my leverages were different.

It might be the camera angle or your shorts, but it looked to me like your right leg might be longer than your left. I’m not really sure how you go about verifying it, but maybe measure from your crotch to both heels. If it is an issue, it may be contributing to your lack of finding a comfortable squat stance.

I think the fix is squatting w/ a shim or raising the heel of your shorter leg.

Haven’t read the thread… but;

-first movements at the knees
-stance is too narrow
-you’ve long legs so you’re gonna have to lean forward, anyone who says otherwise is wrong so try not to worry too much about that

I think taking your stance out a bit and breaking at the hips first will set you up better tho.

very narrow stance…but I wouldn’t mess with it a week out from the meet

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
undesired08 wrote:
mrodock wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:

x2

Thanks guys.

Do you have flexible glutes yes or no? Do you have flexible hamstrings, yes or no?

[/quote]

Not the best they could be, but I dont think anything that would be holding me back. I could touch my toes.

I will throw in extra stretching just for the hell of it.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Im not gonna mess with anything right now, ill keep it simple for the meet. But after, I will definitley be talking to Undesired. And, will slowly get into taking a wider stance, breaking at the hips, and work on my hip mobility.

One more thing. Since I usually dont go that low as I did in my video, I lost alot of my tightness. I usually stay nice a tight in the hole, but going that low (low for me) I fell forward and lost alot of it.

Good, I think some hamstring stretching would do you good. Almost anytime a squat looks that knee dominant, it is because of lack of hamstring flexibility. Your knees travel out because your body can get around the tight hamstrings by doing that to some degree; it becomes more of an adductor/glute squat this way. Sure your stance is narrow, but I dont necessarily think you will be better right off the bat with a wider stance since it will ask a bit more out of your hamstrings.

Lets put it this way. The main reason your squat looks like that, knees out and all, is because of your flexible glutes and tight hamstrings. Take that for what its worth.