What's Wrong With My Pecs?

I started doing chest exercises (along with an actually GOOD workout routine) 2 months ago.

I have also bulked from 140-146 lbs. in those 2 months with a guesstimate of around 4 lbs. of lean mass and 2lb.s of body fat.

I also had an annoying layer of body fat to begin with 2 months ago (not alot of body fat, it’s just this annoying “skinny guy with bodyfat” type thing).

Back to my pecs. During those 2 months I just did regular bench presses (no inlines or declines, just the leveled one). Now my outer pecs have some growth but it’s weird, the skin is kind of droopy and my pecs look like they’re pointing downward, but minorly. Is this due to the body fat? I figured after 2 months of as clean a bulk as possible (besides lean animal meat, the only saturated fat I know of in my diet comes from natural peanut butter). Is this due to just doing bench presses…would changing from incline to decline to regular really have made the pecs look better

Also, the center of my chest between the two pecs and going up to the thyroid area is skin and bones. When I flex, these tendon looking things coming at a slant from my outer pecs towards the center of my chest vibrate.

Should the pecs be this hard to develop? I never did chest exercises EVER since 2 months ago, so I figured they would shape nicely before the actual growth occurs.

Sorry, I just don’t know how to explain it, the way I explained it seems like some kind of horror movie or something, but it isn’t that bad just very annoying.

P.S - I am now trying Chad Waterbury’s TBT program, so I’m hoping trying a routine that changes workouts around helps my body form better. I never used to change workouts, I used to just do a couple specific compound exercises each workout day for those 2 months.

Don’t worry about your pecs. You need more muscle period.

Get heavier and stronger. Then worry about…droopy pecs (sounds fuckin strange).

[quote]Fragmentation wrote:

Should the pecs be this hard to develop? [/quote]

Hard to develop? You weigh 146lbs and you claim nearly half of any gain you made was body fat. First, unless you are 5’4", you haven’t developed much of anything. Second, if you are working on gaining as a newbie, I can almost guarantee you aren’t training very hard or heavy. You are nitpicking your development…when you haven’t developed anything. How old are you? How tall are you?

Get back to us when you hit over 170lbs and let us know about your ‘drooping pecs’. You don’t get to call them ‘pecs’ if you can see your ribs when you inhale.

Your pecs look weird because they are all skin and bone. Gain some more weight and they will start to look better.

146lbs is not flattering on a person of any height. (even midgets)

EDIT: The good thing is that you made a 6lb jump in a positive direction. Keep reading, keep eating, and keep lifting.

The professor makes a good point. A beginner training hard and eating well should be able to make better gains with much more lean mass than fat. In fact, this is the one stage where it’s possible to gain significant muscle and lose fat. Just think: lift, eat, sleep. Big doses of those three are the prescription.

Ok, I won’t call them pecs.

I am 5’11, age 20.

I am bulking now, taking in 3000 calories a day.

Been bulking for those 2 months and continuing.

My workout routine before I started Chad Waterbury’s TBT consisted of a bench press, squat, bent over row, military press and isolation exercises for the biceps, traps, and calves.

I would do the upper body workouts on Mondays and Thursdays and the lower body workouts on Tuesdays and Fridays. The workouts I did on whichever day was set, I would never change it around, and I never followed periodization schemes or whatnot. I would just do the exercises the same way each workout day.

I did not want to bulk 2 months ago due to the body fat that I had from my retarded years of popeyes chicken and other fast food. I wanted to cut the remaining body fat and then bulk from a lean body, but my bodybuilding friend and some folks at fitness.com told me I should just bulk up.

Since I am at a newbie stage where gaining mass and losing fat is easier than normal, should I cut now and try to maintain muscle mass(or even gain some muscle mass while cutting) to get rid of my body fat for good? Or will I just gain back the body fat when I start to clean bulk again?

I’m not looking for an easy way out of anything, so I would like tough love advice please if needed. If you all suggest I keep bulking, then so be it I will keep bulking, but I was wondering if now is the best time to cut away body fat since I no longer eat any junk food whatsoever except a cheat muffin on fridays.

My diet consists of brown rice, lean meat and fish, fruits, vegetables, natural peanut butter, no fat milk, egg whites and whole wheat.

Thanks for the tips so far.

Also, I am worried about actually maintaining a mass above 150.

I am a broke guy with a dead end job. I am grateful for being able to afford to take in 3000 calories a day.

I don’t even know if I will be able to go above 150-55 and stay sane at the same time.

I am also unable to even get in a strict eating plan. On weekeneds I pull off 5-6 meals with 2-3 hour intervals, but my work days consists of me scrounging for whatever free time I have to sneak in a peanut butter sandwich.

Why would you even consider cutting when you don’t have anything underneath to show off? Do you really think you would look good after cutting the fat you have and end up weighing 135-140 lbs?

You are under-muscled more than over-fat, which should give you a hint on what to prioritize.

I am a broke guy with a dead end job. I am grateful for being able to afford to take in 3000 calories a day.

I don’t even know if I will be able to go above 150-55 and stay sane at the same time.

I am also unable to even get in a strict eating plan. On weekeneds I pull off 5-6 meals with 2-3 hour intervals, but my work days consists of me scrounging for whatever free time I have to sneak in a peanut butter sandwich.[/quote]

McDonald’s dollar menu. Works for me. 1200 calories for 3 dollars.

Make as many excuses as you want, it’s not like it’s going to bother anyone here. Either find a way to do it, or don’t.

I am also unable to even get in a strict eating plan. On weekeneds I pull off 5-6 meals with 2-3 hour intervals, but my work days consists of me scrounging for whatever free time I have to sneak in a peanut butter sandwich.[/quote]

This is a great opportunity for you to learn a life lesson. Specifically, if you want something bad enough, you need to make it happen. The people you want advice from have all had to “suck it up” at some point and find a way to make the changes in their lives and physiques. You are at the threshold of that decision. Either you do it now or you fail and make excuses.

You are starting to whine here, so stop or you will continue to decline into failure.

You are so thin, you don’t need super control on your diet. Olive oil is cheap and calorie dense. Vegetable oil is the same. I have had to put it all over my whole meal to ensure I got enough calories for growth. Plus, they digest more slowly than the carbs in the bread from your sandwich, so you can use it to stretch the time between meals. I know it tastes like crap, but you need cheap, healthy, growth calories, and this is a way (not the best way, but a way) to get it.

And only gaining 6 pounds 2 months into a bulk does not seem like much progress to me. But I haven’t been 140 lbs since I was 13, so my point of view may be off on that.

Hang in there, and make it happen.

P.S. If you really need a job with decent pay, great benefits, on-site gyms and plenty of food, look at the military (esp. Air Force).

You should be able to get 25 lbs of rice and 25 lbs of beans for about $20. That gives you somewhere in the neighborhood of 70,000 calories, give or take. That would give you a base to live on and add to. Calories are calories, they don’t have to be expensive. When I said goodbye to the 140’s, I was eating close to 3000 calories for breakfast most days.
If you are early 20’s and active, I would be suprised if you didn’t lose weight eating 3000 calories. Maybe you don’t move very much.

What’s your job?

@ Fred129

I just needed another person to bash it in my head that I need to continue bulking. I was also nervous on bulking more because I don’t want a pudgy face and too pudgy of a body, but I have to suck it up right.

@ FightinIrish26

Indeed

@ pwilliams

Sob story over, I will suck it up and continue bulking. I will definitely start using oil as it does seem like an easy way to pump in calories, but won’t it turn my clean bulk into a messy fatty bulk? or is there high calorie healthy oils out there?

@ human743

You mean I can still gain significant muscle mass by just eating more calories without following some strict macronutrient diet?

@ Wreckless

Small time office work, but due to it being small, the bosses have an easier time keeping an eye on pretty much everyone.

How much can you afford to spend a week on food and do you have a way to cook at all?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

Make as many excuses as you want, it’s not like it’s going to bother anyone here. Either find a way to do it, or don’t.

[/quote]

Just wanted to thank you… that comment hit close to home for some reason as a VERY motivational comment. That’s why I keeping crawling my newb ass to the gym every day… thnx again.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
You don’t get to call them ‘pecs’ if you can see your ribs when you inhale.[/quote]

Perhaps a candidate for strong words

@ Tiribulus

$50 a week.

@ Tiribulus

$50 a week.[/quote]

Dude, no offense but you are majoring on the minors. You need to eat and spend a few years working on size and strength. If you think you are the first person to be broke and STILL lift weights regularly, then you are not only skinny, you are very foolish.

As a broke college student, Wendy’s value menu (often with random girls paying for me) was how I was able to keep weight and gain some (that and liberal trips to the cafeteria). The rest was finding ways around the food issue by buying foods that provided a lot of calories without me going even more broke.

People on this site have apparently lost focus. You don’t worry about how defined you are before you even build any size at all.

If you want it bad enough, you will find a way to get it. If you don’t, quit complaining about it and log off.