Whats Wrong with My Close Grip Bench?

Got down to the gym and did 110 x 5…I know, weakling. but whats weaker is my form as I move up my weight. Should I lower the bar even lower towards my abs? I would like some feedback please.
Thanks.

No offense, but holy shit that is terrible form.
First, and one of the most important your set up, or lack of one: you need to arch your back hard and pull your shoulder blades together and down. That is just a basic set up so you don’t fuck your shoulders up or fall off the bench another to keep in mind is not to press the bar out of the rack and get a breath before you unrack it. Now for the next thing, you want your wrists, elbows, and the bar to line up there should be a straight or almost straight line between it.

Focus on those two until for a few weeks until they are perfect then start working your leg drive and ‘pulling’ the bar out of the rack. Watch this also http://train.elitefts.com/instructional/so-you-think-you-can-bench-parts1-7/ and read everything you can from dave tate about bench form. In fact there is this article to Bench Press 600 Pounds read the form tips, the other stuff you don’t have to worry about for a long while.

I’m not a form Nazi as I believe people develop different ways to “target” a muscle they want to work.

That being said, it looks like your hands need to be closer together on the bar and you need to stop flaring your elbows out. Keep the elbows tucked close to the body so the tension stays on the triceps.

Come on, Jlone, that looks like a bad jm press instead of a close grip bench. He could probably add a good 20-30 pounds just fixing his form.

[quote]DSSG wrote:
Come on, Jlone, that looks like a bad jm press instead of a close grip bench. He could probably add a good 20-30 pounds just fixing his form. [/quote]
Would the added weight let him develop his triceps more quickly?

If the OP is a power lifter then I think your advice is right on the money. He needs to start from scratch and rethink his entire movement because the end goal is max weight. However, I have seen bodybuilders do close grip bench with their legs crossed in the air so I don’t think back arch is directly correlated to triceps growth.

Keep your forearms at a 90 deg angle to the floor, like others have mentioned. It’s hard to tell what your elbow tuck and grip width are in that camera angle.

[quote]DSSG wrote:
No offense, but holy shit that is terrible form.
First, and one of the most important your set up, or lack of one: you need to arch your back hard and pull your shoulder blades together and down. That is just a basic set up so you don’t fuck your shoulders up or fall off the bench another to keep in mind is not to press the bar out of the rack and get a breath before you unrack it. Now for the next thing, you want your wrists, elbows, and the bar to line up there should be a straight or almost straight line between it.

Focus on those two until for a few weeks until they are perfect then start working your leg drive and ‘pulling’ the bar out of the rack. Watch this also http://train.elitefts.com/instructional/so-you-think-you-can-bench-parts1-7/ and read everything you can from dave tate about bench form. In fact there is this article to Bench Press 600 Pounds read the form tips, the other stuff you don’t have to worry about for a long while. [/quote]

I agree, you need to learn how to set up before you bench.

Watch/read that stuff and also Jim Wendler’s article on this site “virtual bench press seminar”. He benches with a close grip so this will be even more relevant to you.

And no, you do not need to touch the bar lower. When your grip is closer, the bar will touch higher.