T Nation

What's Wrong, Not BIG!!

i’ve been training for more than half a year and i’ve gone from 75kg bench press to 102,5kg, but still my body looks like crap. i weight 95kg and im 187cm in heigt but still it looks like i’ve normal and not big. (i do full body training). note i dont take steroids.
sooo… whats wrong … hmmm i wonder…

If you’re implying you look like shit because you dont’ do steroids then you’re a big fat bag of douche.

Just because you’re not huge doesn’t mean you have to look like shit.

I’ve got a fast metabolism so I stay lean year round and I look pretty great even in bulking phases.

So you need to find a diet that supports your goals and works with your body type.

And you probably need to start squating.

Very few people ever get really big with bird legs.

You don’t mention anything about diet.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

I’ll tell you what worked for me…
I used to train five days a week, generally full body. In my first year and a half of training I put on about 14lbs and then kind of stuck. I then decided to move to a split routine, training each body part no more than once every five days. I also started forcing myself to eat a lot more- that was the hardest part. I then put on about another 35lbs in the next four months. So- my advice would be, eat a lot more and train a bit less. Others may disagree but I went from a skinny 175lbs to over 225lbs of (mostly!) muscle.

obviously you aren’t eating enough. change up your training too. end of story

Not to be harsh, but- You aren’t moving enough weight to look big.

I’ll put it in perspective for you- at 170lbs with a bench press in the range of 275-290, I’m not big, but I look like " a guy who lifts ".

Less fat, more muscle. Thats about it.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

I’ll put it in perspective for you- at 170lbs with a bench press in the range of 275-290, I’m not big, but I look like " a guy who lifts ".

[/quote]

Sweet Jesus…170 and a 275+ bench? Damn. I thought I was doing well with a 225 bench at 170 lbs.

Metric hurts my head.

[quote]uglycoke wrote:
i’ve been training for more than half a year and i’ve gone from 75kg bench press to 102,5kg, but still my body looks like crap. i weight 95kg and im 187cm in heigt but still it looks like i’ve normal and not big. (i do full body training). note i dont take steroids.
sooo… whats wrong … hmmm i wonder…[/quote]

I’m not sure what you were expecting out of half a year, even if you were doing everything right. You can make good progress, but nobody get,s “big” in six months.

Why WOULD you be big? You’re not moving that much weight. You haven’t been lifting for very long. You say nothing about diet, but it’s likely you don’t eat enough. Keep training hard and getting enough calories and maybe one day, you’ll be big.

[quote]uglycoke wrote:
sooo… whats wrong … hmmm i wonder…[/quote]

Where the hell do all of you guys come from?! Seriously…

[quote]PGJ wrote:
Metric hurts my head.[/quote]

For kg to lbs, double it and then add 10%. :stuck_out_tongue:

1.0 kg => 2.0 lbs + 0.2 lbs = 2.2 lbs

– ElbowStrike

[quote]ElbowStrike wrote:
PGJ wrote:
Metric hurts my head.

For kg to lbs, double it and then add 10%. :stuck_out_tongue:

1.0 kg => 2.0 lbs + 0.2 lbs = 2.2 lbs

– ElbowStrike[/quote]

Or, if you’re lazy, go to google and type in: 'x’lbs in kg (or vice versa).

Google has a built in currency and unit converter that is activated by placing the word “in” in your search queries.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[/quote]

You are obviously pretty strong for your weight, but strength doesn’t necessarily translate that well to size (to some degree it does, of course). I know people with very impressive physiques that are a lot bigger than you (no offence, you look great), yet benches less. On the other hand you have chinese boys lifting 350+, looking nothing like a bodybuilder. A woman from my home country recently set the world record by pressing 193 kg at 90+. Makes you feel weak, huh?

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
SkyzykS wrote:

Sweet Jesus…170 and a 275+ bench? Damn. I thought I was doing well with a 225 bench at 170 lbs. [/quote]

No. I would expect you you be able to hit 225 at 170 at minimum. You are not doing well until you hit 300 (no offense there SkyzykS :slight_smile: ). Unless the bench is your weakest lift by 200 pounds. If you squat 350+ and deadlift 400+ at 170 you are doing ok. Otherwise, you need more strength and you need more muscle.

You don’t quite understand the amount of time it takes to get “big”. Guys on this forum have been working to get “big” for 10+ years. Half a year is nothing. It doesn’t even register on the scale. It’s not even in the same sport.

Heck, a 300 pound bench is barely on the scale. There are more than a few guys here who are currently benching 500+. And a few who’ve hit 600+ in competition. I suck balls compared to them. Change your perspective. Change your standards.

You are not eating enough. 100% guaranteed.

This is what helped me–I ate 600 calories 5 times a day. When I stopped growing I ate 600 cal 6x a day. Then I ate 600 cal 7x a day. Then I ate 700 cal 6x a day. When that stopped working I ate 700 calories 7x a day. And so on, and so on. Eating a lot of foods I didn’t really like at the time, just because they would help out. Food is fuel, not comfort, and not optional. Fuel. It requires planning and discipline and guts. If you don’t think it does, I dare you to try eating 4800 calories a day starting now. Don’t be a pussy in the kitchen.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
dhuge67 wrote:
SkyzykS wrote:

Sweet Jesus…170 and a 275+ bench? Damn. I thought I was doing well with a 225 bench at 170 lbs.

No. I would expect you you be able to hit 225 at 170 at minimum. You are not doing well until you hit 300 (no offense there SkyzykS :slight_smile: ). Unless the bench is your weakest lift by 200 pounds. If you squat 350+ and deadlift 400+ at 170 you are doing ok. Otherwise, you need more strength and you need more muscle.

You don’t quite understand the amount of time it takes to get “big”. Guys on this forum have been working to get “big” for 10+ years. Half a year is nothing. It doesn’t even register on the scale. It’s not even in the same sport.

Heck, a 300 pound bench is barely on the scale. There are more than a few guys here who are currently benching 500+. And a few who’ve hit 600+ in competition. I suck balls compared to them. Change your perspective. Change your standards.

You are not eating enough. 100% guaranteed.

This is what helped me–I ate 600 calories 5 times a day. When I stopped growing I ate 600 cal 6x a day. Then I ate 600 cal 7x a day. Then I ate 700 cal 6x a day. When that stopped working I ate 700 calories 7x a day. And so on, and so on. Eating a lot of foods I didn’t really like at the time, just because they would help out. Food is fuel, not comfort, and not optional. Fuel. It requires planning and discipline and guts. If you don’t think it does, I dare you to try eating 4800 calories a day starting now. Don’t be a pussy in the kitchen.[/quote]

Good post. I couldn’t agree more. However, this guy is a pussy who will give up in short order just based on that first post. Anyone who actually thinks that after 6 months they should be “HUGE” without even understanding food intake and then blames their lack of hugeness on lack of steroids is a hopeless dumbass.

But prof, he could be saved. Show us your diet and training and we can take a look at things better.

[quote]John S. wrote:
But prof, he could be saved. Show us your diet and training and we can take a look at things better.[/quote]

His diet and training doesn’t apply to you in any way, shape, or form.

He trains with what works for him.

You need to find what works for you and eat accordingly.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
John S. wrote:
But prof, he could be saved. Show us your diet and training and we can take a look at things better.

His diet and training doesn’t apply to you in any way, shape, or form.

He trains with what works for him.

You need to find what works for you and eat accordingly.[/quote]

Uh, I think that second sentence was directed at the OP and not Prof. X.

[quote]John S. wrote:
But prof, he could be saved. Show us your diet and training and we can take a look at things better.[/quote]

If that comment was sarcastic, it shouldn’t be. The Professor is a huge mofo.