T Nation

Whats With THIS Glutamine?

I have this L-Glutamine (a 2lb sack) from Proteinfactory.com : they custom-make supps for you.
but this glut i got tastes next to a roux made out of rotten eggs and eel juice.
i mean this shit looks like its made to annihilate all your taste buds in one go.
does all glutamine taste like this? its creamish yellow in color
their wpi is quite good.

How would you know what rotten eggs and eel juice taste like? And why is your entire post in bold?

I don’t think I’ve ever tried raw unflavored glutamine, but raw BCAA powder tastes like a blend of bile and cheetah shit with a hint of clown vomit. And it’s hydrophobic.

Some free form aminos taste awful I guess. I just mix my BCAAs with Surge.

[quote]etaco wrote:

Some free form aminos taste awful I guess. I just mix my BCAAs with Surge.[/quote]

from bodybuilding.com
“L-Glutamine - There’s a direct link in over trained athletes between excess cortisol and depletion of L-Glutamine in the body. Glutamine helps in recovery, it’s that simple. 10-15 grams in a post workout shake is a good dose.”

Does Glut play an important role in cortisol suppression?
no…no let me do this again…
does Glut get rid of cortisol or atleast reduce it severely OR
is it just another also-ran?

Glutamine doesnt really have a taste, at least not the ones I’ve tried.

[quote]PGA wrote:
Glutamine doesnt really have a taste, at least not the ones I’ve tried.[/quote]

I’m with PGA on this - it has a slight taste, but added into a shake you won’t notice it.

PGA 200X would agree with me too if he hadn’t died recently.

[quote]PGA wrote:
Glutamine doesnt really have a taste, at least not the ones I’ve tried.
[/quote]
well i didnt specify the flavor so they sent it without a sweetener.
yea i gulp it down with 1% milk and my WPI (which helps coz its choc flavored)…but by itself …its the nastiest stuff to land on my tongue in a long time…period

Is it even profound in its anti-catabolic properties?
I used to eat a dollop of fat-free cottage cheese at night prior to this stuff.
I read somewhere glutamine is supposed to help halt the breakdown of muscle tissue at night.

Glutamine is made by fermenting wheat protein.
Read: bacteria all over wheat protein until they get a pure L-Glutamine product.

If they did a poor job in the processing you may actually be consuming something other than L-Glutamine.

Pure grade l-gultamine is colorless and flavorless or bland at most.

Chuck it in the garbage. Get the real stuff. Go for a micronized l-gluatmine product from a quality manufacturer such as Prolab, AST or Ultimate nutrition (I favor the latter’s product for price and tastelessness).

[quote]boroughbred wrote:
etaco wrote:

Some free form aminos taste awful I guess. I just mix my BCAAs with Surge.

from bodybuilding.com
“L-Glutamine - There’s a direct link in over trained athletes between excess cortisol and depletion of L-Glutamine in the body. Glutamine helps in recovery, it’s that simple. 10-15 grams in a post workout shake is a good dose.”

Does Glut play an important role in cortisol suppression?
no…no let me do this again…
does Glut get rid of cortisol or atleast reduce it severely OR
is it just another also-ran?
[/quote]

The beef people have with l-glutamine is that supplementing it has very little of the product ever making it to the stores in the muscle tissue.
Keep in mind that muscle is 60-63% l-glutamine.

Any dosage over 2 grams (1/2 teaspoon) will have either the stomach, gut or intestinal lining it using it before the muscles get their hands on it. This problem is even worsned when taken with other amino acids (Eg. you add glutamine to a protein shake) because the competition rate has l-glutamine low on the list.
So when people say l-glutamine doesn’t work, that’s why.

BUT, and it’s a big BUT…because you have now given your gut, intestines and immune system thier requirements for l-glutamine, it is LESS likely to go to the muscle (and break it down) for what it needs. Hence why they say supplementation of l-glutamine is anti-catabolic.

Is l-glutamine a worthwhile product? Yes, very much so, especially pre and post-workout. 7-10grams pre and 7-10grams post will ensure maximal anti-catabolic effects from the supplement. Taking 2grams (no more) 30 minutes before bed has been shown to increase circulating growth hormone by 400% for short period of time. But this is the key time for growth hormone to do it’s recovery work.

My picks for a good l-glutamine product:

1. Ultimate Nutrition’s FermapureTM Micronized L-Glutamine
  2. AST’s GL-3 Micronized L-Glutamine
  3. Prolab’s L-Glutamine