What's With the Need to Compete?

It might just be me, but it seems like every person who undergoes a body transformation feels the need to compete. It’s like “I’ve been fat for 27 years, lost 85lbs and gained some muscle so I think I’m going to get on stage.”

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for changing your way of life, and I’m all for competition bodybuilding. It just seems like a lot of people who still have a long way to go are just dying to get on stage but really don’t look that good.

I mean, I picked up golf this year, but I’m not looking to get on the tour.

Just wondering if anyone else noticed this trend.

I see what you mean, but it’s not like these guys need to be in Mr. O type shape, or outsquat Chuck V. to compete. Getting in the competitve arena helps you realize exactly where you are and what you need to do to get better.

Besides, the strength sports aren’t like golf, where you can grab a couple friends and go play. What are they going to have, an impromptu pose-off in the gym, like in Zoolander?

They say you learn more from one competition than from years of training on your own.

[quote]
Besides, the strength sports aren’t like golf, where you can grab a couple friends and go play. What are they going to have, an impromptu pose-off in the gym, like in Zoolander? [/quote]

good stuff

[quote]
They say you learn more from one competition than from years of training on your own.[/quote]

I can definately see how this is true, I’ve never had to, or had the desire to lower my bodyfat to competition levels, and im sure it’s easier to point out weak parts when ure 5% bodyfat and being judged.

Motivation and drive.

When you know you’ve got competitions coming up you can usually step up to meet the demands.

A lot of folks use it as a crutch to motivate when they can’t keep the fire lit on their own or at least not lit large as they’d like it.