What's With Soreness?

I have been lifting for quite a few years now but i have not actually gotten serious about training until about a year and a half ago. I started on a set routine and diet, and i began to see great results. Then i tore my ACL and had to quit legs outside of rehab, for about 8 months.

Now that i have been fully healed and able to do anything again, i started back on my leg routine. For about 2 months now I have been doing squats, both heavy and light, every leg workout with a few secondary exercises and it never fails that about 2 days later the only part of my legs that are sore is my inner thighs near my groin. Not so bad that i can’t do anything but bad enough where it makes it difficult to stand or sit, and it always feels like it needs stretched. Can anyone let me know if this could be caused by bad form or feet placement during squats because i think my form is pretty good?

ONLY inner thigh? I’m sure your form is bad best way to assess is to see video. My legs are always very sore after leg days, sitting everything hurts-good hurt-. Yet not that bad since I only squat once or twice a week right now, when was doing 3 times week it was non stop soreness. You could try eating more that helps a bit, yet sometimes doesn’t I eat a ton 300g+ protein tons of calories ext ext doesn’t make that much difference for me.

well my thighs hurt too especially the teardrop above my knee, that area, but other than those too no where else. and it is not really a hurt just soreness. when i used to squat it hurt everywhere like your saying, now just focuses most of the soreness on the inner thigh. Like i said i even had a few people watch me squat and it seems to be ok, however i do tend to bow my knees in a bit when i go anything over 285lbs.

well my thighs hurt too especially the teardrop above my knee, that area, but other than those too no where else. and it is not really a hurt just soreness. when i used to squat it hurt everywhere like your saying, now just focuses most of the soreness on the inner thigh. Like i said i even had a few people watch me squat and it seems to be ok, however i do tend to bow my knees in a bit when i go anything over 285lbs.

If its inner thigh, means your probably squatting pretty wide and are not used to it. I would mix it up try some front squats, I can go much more narrow with a front squat then back squat and it hits the front of my legs a lot more. Make sure your squatting low also or your not going to get full benefit.

thanks for the reply and i will give the front squats another try. i have tried them once with just 135, and i had a hell of a time keeping the bar steady and i could have gone heavier except the bar was wanting to roll off of my shoulders. any pointers on those would be appreciated.

[quote]kowface28 wrote:
thanks for the reply and i will give the front squats another try. i have tried them once with just 135, and i had a hell of a time keeping the bar steady and i could have gone heavier except the bar was wanting to roll off of my shoulders. any pointers on those would be appreciated.[/quote]

Posture, posture, posture. You MUST keep a straight back while doing this or else it will just roll right off.

[quote]kowface28 wrote:
thanks for the reply and i will give the front squats another try. i have tried them once with just 135, and i had a hell of a time keeping the bar steady and i could have gone heavier except the bar was wanting to roll off of my shoulders. any pointers on those would be appreciated.[/quote]

A good tip for gripping the bar is to grab it like a curl grip. This keeps it from rolling off the shoulders.

I grip it with my thumb, index and middle finger. You have to experiment with hand spacing. If I grip too wide then my thumbs press into my collar bones. So I usually have my hands about 4 inches apart.

I do front squats ever time and this has worked well for me.

If your soreness is only in the muscles and not the joints or connective tissues, you have nothing to worry about.

It’s hard to tell without seeing your form…but maybe you’re getting a stretch in your groin without the same in your glutes and hamstrings. Are you rounding your back? I was doing that for a while and I guess the only thing forcing my knees out was my inner thighs, because they got freakin’ huge. It’s important to be able to activate your inner thighs in the squat, but you want to make sure you’re getting the most out of your posterior chain also.

The squat is very intensive on that area if you have a wide stance and toes pointed out… Bring the feet in, either front squat as mentioned, or do back squat with narrower stance.

Reduce the weight to 135;lbs for back and change form and go from there… use high reps 15-20 only maybe as low as 12… but pile the weight on over time and you’ll get the quads more.

How deep are you going? What is your form like? Do you raise heels? How far are your feet apart? Do you bend over too much?

You should get someone to check your form thoroughly. We could do it here with a decent video clip…

J

On my next leg day i will try and get a clip of my form for everyone.

It might be worth, if you can, having a check up with a podiatrist.

I tore my ACL and as a result, I guess, of compensating, I now have a tendency to over pronate my feet. This has led to problems with knee placement when squatting.

Hopefully the set of orthotics that have been made are going to sort it, and the guy did reckon it would make a noticeable difference to my squatting, in fact, he reckon it would help all my lower body exercises except calf raises as my heel isn’t down for them.

Newbie here… I have this soreness too, but it is mainly in my butt. Any idea about my form? Like it has been said, I know it is hard to tell without seeing my form, but thought maybe someone would know off hand. Thanks.

Also, I am doing regular back squats, I guess you would call it, and only once per week.

Do you guys realize that you’re supposed to get muscular soreness after weight lifting?