What's with 'One Set To Failure'?

I know there was one famous lifter who did this, and I know that Timothy Ferriss did something along those lines.

I’ve never had the balls to try it - can you really make gains with ‘one set to failure’?

Arnold recommends doing your one-rep max once a month or so, but he does so as much for psychological reasons as gaining. It’s in his Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding.

Do you mean a workout composed of One set to failure as in HIT training?

Dr. Ellington Darden has written about it here a couple of times and Mike Mentzer was the Olympia winner who was a fan of training to failure with his “Heavy Duty” training.

I bought Ellington Darden’s “The New Bodybuilding” to give HIT a try and made the same amount of gains I have ever made when I really commited to a training program. It really puts a drain on you to go to failure all the time though. Also you have to really limit your volume which can be a weird feeling.

[quote]mchron wrote:
Do you mean a workout composed of One set to failure as in HIT training?

Dr. Ellington Darden has written about it here a couple of times and Mike Mentzer was the Olympia winner who was a fan of training to failure with his “Heavy Duty” training.

I bought Ellington Darden’s “The New Bodybuilding” to give HIT a try and made the same amount of gains I have ever made when I really commited to a training program. It really puts a drain on you to go to failure all the time though. Also you have to really limit your volume which can be a weird feeling.[/quote]

But it works?

I’m looking at what Tim Ferriss (of 4-Hour Workweek fame) did.

Dante Doggcrapp.

A lot of guys swear by his methods, and have the results to back it up.

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1142392

i do not like the sound of it. there are less questionable things to try

Your talking a bout Yates right? I havent heard of anyone else doing it. But there is a good artical in the curent adition of flex about it. I dont think you see alot of ppl doing 1)b/c if is fucking hard as all hell the way Yates did it 2) I think you make yourself more pron to ingery

[quote]Otep wrote:
Dante Doggcrapp.

A lot of guys swear by his methods, and have the results to back it up.

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1142392[/quote]

Ferriss did multi-joint exercises. 8 sets per session, full-body, only go to the gym twice a week and use a 5/5 tempo.

@ OP, if you read the whole Tim Ferriss experiment… most of his gains were due to the diet. A good diet and almost any routine would work.

Tim’s 1 set to failure method wasn’t well developed as in what weight to use (10lb bench presses can last forever) I would like to have seem his “program” strictly outlined as in Tim’s 1 Rep max was shown, then what weight he did his set to failures at etc.

Sounds to me like you’re looking for fast hypertrophy, you’re probably better off doing 3-5 sets @ 55-65% 1RM for 8-12 reps of those same exercises. Load = 24 to 60 depending on which of sets you do.

[quote]mpenix wrote:
@ OP, if you read the whole Tim Ferriss experiment… most of his gains were due to the diet. A good diet and almost any routine would work.

Tim’s 1 set to failure method wasn’t well developed as in what weight to use (10lb bench presses can last forever) I would like to have seem his “program” strictly outlined as in Tim’s 1 Rep max was shown, then what weight he did his set to failures at etc.

Sounds to me like you’re looking for fast hypertrophy, you’re probably better off doing 3-5 sets @ 55-65% 1RM for 8-12 reps of those same exercises. Load = 24 to 60 depending on which of sets you do.[/quote]

I’m actually slightly more interested in strength gains…I’m not really interested in his routine per se, as I am in figuring out if I’m defeating my own recovery with my volume. I have hit some walls - some of it due to neglecting DLs and going light on squats with form that I’ve learned was not so good.

After reading about DC training, I’m considering that after I get my DL and squats up to par. Plus, I’m trying to cut up now and am restricting my cals to about 1800. So, after cutting, I’m really interested in boosting my strength.

[quote]wirewound wrote:
mpenix wrote:

Sounds to me like you’re looking for fast hypertrophy, you’re probably better off doing 3-5 sets @ 55-65% 1RM for 8-12 reps of those same exercises. Load = 24 to 60 depending on which of sets you do.

I’m actually slightly more interested in strength gains…I’m not really interested in his routine per se, as I am in figuring out if I’m defeating my own recovery with my volume. I have hit some walls - some of it due to neglecting DLs and going light on squats with form that I’ve learned was not so good.

After reading about DC training, I’m considering that after I get my DL and squats up to par. Plus, I’m trying to cut up now and am restricting my cals to about 1800. So, after cutting, I’m really interested in boosting my strength.
[/quote]

You can cut and boost strength at the same time with a proper diet, 1800 seems REALLY low for calories… if you’re dragging in DL’s then try a custom version of Rippetoes or Madcow’s 5x5 for just the Deadlift.

[quote]mpenix wrote:
wirewound wrote:
mpenix wrote:

You can cut and boost strength at the same time with a proper diet, 1800 seems REALLY low for calories… if you’re dragging in DL’s then try a custom version of Rippetoes or Madcow’s 5x5 for just the Deadlift.[/quote]

1800 is really low. I meant 2800.

[quote]wirewound wrote:
But it works?

I’m looking at what Tim Ferriss (of 4-Hour Workweek fame) did.

[/quote]

I have serious difficulty believing in Mr. Ferriss’s results.

34 pounds gained in 28 days? WHILE dropping 3 lbs of fat?

The Arthur-Jones protocol is definitely powerful, but not that powerful. Hell, Charles Poliquin can’t even put on 37 lbs of LBM on a trainnee in 28 days, and I’m pretty sure he’s more aware of the ‘science behind weightlifting’ than Ferriss.

ferriss is full of shit. he at decent and his workout is fine for hypertrophy but he’s one hell of an active guy outside of the gym too. but in any case… he’s full of shit.

that’s a lb per diem… anyone here can tell you that it’s bs… hyped up fame for trying to sell his “easy way out” books.