Whats the Difference?

What exactly is the difference in a Box Squat as oppossed to Squat to Pin in a rack. I train using mostly a conjugate style of lifting and Say I maxed out this week on Box Squats to parrell would doing Pin Squats be a good exercise to rotate with or is it essentially the same strength.

Not the same. on the box you release your hip flexors and the bottom and sit back to the point you’d fall over on a free squat. You can’t do that same motion on pin presses. The bar needs to move front to back at the bottom of the lift. In the pin press you are deloading everything at the bottom.

Not the same thing. A lot of people do box squats incorrectly, in that at the bottom you’re supposed to leg curl yourself up.

So what exactly does each train then. Which would have higher carry over to training for Strongman type competition. Or would they both have there purpose. I enjoy them both was just wandering if one trained a different kind of leg strength than the other.

[quote]Reed wrote:
So what exactly does each train then. Which would have higher carry over to training for Strongman type competition. Or would they both have there purpose. I enjoy them both was just wandering if one trained a different kind of leg strength than the other.[/quote]

As mentioned, there ia difference between ‘squating to a box’ & ‘box squatting’.
I would guess the pin presses would help with events that involve lifting dead weight. Proper box squatting would train the posterior chain to fire in sequence. I suppose at sub-max. levels both could help with exposive training.

To add to what BlueCollar said, to find out what carries over better you really need to try out both. See which one’s harder, and you’ll be able to work out your weak links, and what complements your events.

As an example, using both currently, I am much stronger with box squats compared with pin squats, and I know that my weakness is probably staying tight in the hole. My posterior chain strength is less of a limiting factor, hence the difference.

Megadavo ok I think that’s is what I was looking for thanks guys.