T Nation

What's the Deal with White Bread?

i always heard that its the worst thing out there but after doing some research it doesn’t look to bad. what do you guys think? ill be damned if I’m gonna eat my pb and js and grilled cheeses on wheat bread. is white bread really that bad?

yes. next.

White bread is fine if it sits well with you. I avoid it because bread in general gives me quite a bit of GI distress. Eat unprocessed foods (meat, potatoes, fruit, vegetables etc) 80% of the time then add in whatever takes your fancy for the rest.

I stopped eating white bread a good few years ago, and then last year stopped eating bread altogether. It wasn’t a conscious decision to cut out the bread, but just came about when I started eating à la Precision Nutrition.

It’s funny, I used to eat bread every day but I now lump it in with treats like cake, and just have it on the odd occasion like a Sunday orning baguette, when I go fr a burger, or when I just have to have a cheese toastie.

It also gives me some GI distress, which I only noticed since I stopped eating it regularly. Now, when I do eat bread, I’m guaranteed a rootin’ tootin’, kind of enjoyable but mostly uncomfortable, audible bout of flatulence.

[quote]AbsuM- wrote:
i always heard that its the worst thing out there but after doing some research it doesn’t look to bad. what do you guys think? ill be damned if I’m gonna eat my pb and js and grilled cheeses on wheat bread. is white bread really that bad?[/quote]

*** Real, actual bread has a short shelf life and contains both fiber and protein. They remove key ingredients in order to let it sit on the shelf for long periods of time, making it garbage. There is some good stuff on the shelf but it is hard to find. Check the labels. If you don’t find protein and fiber move along.

^ This. If you can handle gluten, find a good bakery to buy your bread at. If you keep a slice of bread or a bread roll out overnight and it hasn’t started to go stale yet, you know you’ve got a bad product.

[quote]Krinks wrote:

[quote]AbsuM- wrote:
i always heard that its the worst thing out there but after doing some research it doesn’t look to bad. what do you guys think? ill be damned if I’m gonna eat my pb and js and grilled cheeses on wheat bread. is white bread really that bad?[/quote]

*** Real, actual bread has a short shelf life and contains both fiber and protein. They remove key ingredients in order to let it sit on the shelf for long periods of time, making it garbage. There is some good stuff on the shelf but it is hard to find. Check the labels. If you don’t find protein and fiber move along. [/quote]

I don’t think bread, whole wheat or otherwise, is a relevant source of protein or fiber, especially when compared to vegetables and fruits (fiber) and animal meats and eggs (protein). So wheat, in my opinion, is best viewed as a source of carbohydrates and the decision of taking it or not should be based on how it sits with the person.

[quote]eaboadar wrote:

[quote]Krinks wrote:

[quote]AbsuM- wrote:

*** Real, actual bread has a short shelf life and contains both fiber and protein. They remove key ingredients in order to let it sit on the shelf for long periods of time, making it garbage. There is some good stuff on the shelf but it is hard to find. Check the labels. If you don’t find protein and fiber move along. [/quote]

I don’t think bread, whole wheat or otherwise, is a relevant source of protein or fiber, especially when compared to vegetables and fruits (fiber) and animal meats and eggs (protein). So wheat, in my opinion, is best viewed as a source of carbohydrates and the decision of taking it or not should be based on how it sits with the person.[/quote]

He never said that.

fibre and protein are “components” to look for to tell the difference between bread qualities. That is all.

[quote]kgildner wrote:
^ This. If you can handle gluten, find a good bakery to buy your bread at. If you keep a slice of bread or a bread roll out overnight and it hasn’t started to go stale yet, you know you’ve got a bad product.[/quote]
Instead of finding a good bakery one could also buy high quality bread mixes and a bread machine.

@OP
The best option would be to not eat bread all together. Switching from white to whole wheat gourmet bread isn’t going to make a grilled cheese or PB&J healthy. It would stretch your chef skills to replace poor nutritional foods with healthy options instead of trying to put lipstick on a pig, so to speak.

White bread makes me bloated as well as white rice … ive found Eziekiel bread works well for me… its flourless bread

for a start it usually has some white sugar added to it -so you get all the issues that go with that.

Definitely not ideal and don’t have it on a daily basis but also definitely not the “the worst thing out there”

Even if you are sensitive to gluten baking your own bread and letting the dough ferment a couple days mat sit well with you. I stopped eating commercial bread because it left me feeling bloated but, when making my own I have no issues. The only problem is that when making your own it usually has a lot more calories per slice so, you may have to eat less.

[quote]AbsuM- wrote:

NO!

If most of your carbs are from rice, potatoes, oatmeal, and fruit, a few slices of white bread, a bagel, or a roll here and there are not going to throw your whole diet or physique or health off!