What's The Best Health Stack?

just wondering what are some members current stacks and recomendations for a supplement stack that is geared towards living a healthy nutritious life.

my current thoughts were a:

Superfood
Rez-V
Flameout
multi-vitamin

this would be on top of my fitness related staples such as Surge, whey and creatine.

I would add FA3 to that stack. Otherwise it’s good.

D

I would add some Vitamin D and ZMA.

Check out D for doping article. Eric Cressey was the first person to advocate Vitamin D and it seems that many people are deficient in this “vitamin.” There are numerous studies showing links between a multitude of diseases and low levels of D.

ZMA because, as a person who trains, you will also probably be a little low on these crucial minerals. It also improves quality of sleep…and we all now sleep is super duper important.

MM

[quote]Mr.Martian wrote:

Check out D for doping article. Eric Cressey was the first person to advocate Vitamin D and it seems that many people are deficient in this “vitamin.” There are numerous studies showing links between a multitude of diseases and low levels of D.

ZMA because, as a person who trains, you will also probably be a little low on these crucial minerals. It also improves quality of sleep…and we all now sleep is super duper important.

MM[/quote]

x2

[quote]All2ez wrote:
just wondering what are some members current stacks and recomendations for a supplement stack that is geared towards living a healthy nutritious life.

my current thoughts were a:

Superfood
Rez-V
Flameout
multi-vitamin

this would be on top of my fitness related staples such as Surge, whey and creatine.

[/quote]

That’s a good general health stack, but the real beauty of a health stack is to have it tackle your weaknesses, where you’re not healthy. Any specific health issues that you want to tackle or is this a pre-emptive health stack?

if you’re looking for health, keep in mind that “you are what you eat.” I know this phrase gets thrown around a lot, but remember that it’s the most important aspect of health. What you don’t take in is just as important as what you do take in… for example, if you are intolerant, or unknowingly allergic to a certain food, yet you occasionally or frequently eat that food, then you could be compromising your health. Likewise, if you are unknowingly getting too much of something in your diet like aluminum which is found in antacids, cooking pans, and many other sources, you could be doing untold things to yourself.

So the only thing I can recommend is try to learn the ins and outs of what your body likes and doesn’t like, and try to live as naturally as possible (getting sun, cooking foods in glass or steel, not aluminum, plastic, or tephlon coated pans, getting adequate sleep, drinking plenty of purified water, etc., etc. After all those things are done, then I would start to think about supplements. I’m not trying to give you shit, these are just my recommendations. /rant

My most important supplements for health:

1. Multi - NSI Synergy Prenatal (I take a half dose, and rely on diet for the rest) (from vitacost)
  2. Organic Medicinal Mushroom Powder (Boost immune system, i.e. killer T cell count) (from mushroomharvest) (1 teaspoon daily)
  3. Vitamin D3 (4,000 iu daily, less depending on sun exposure. None at all, or just the amount in the multi if I get my skin to turn pink from my lunch time run/sprinting session)
  4. Fish Oil (5-10g daily)
  5. FA3, supplement form or whole food form is good too. Look to add the 3 sources of the fatty acids (FA3) 1) add coconut oil, 2) borage oil, and 3) EVOO (at least the amounts listed on the bottle from my diet from coconut oil and evoo, plus borage oil pills)
  6. Digestive enzymes (never chew gum because it wastes your enzyme production) (a complex with protein, carbohydrate, starch, and fat digesting enzymes - taken with each meal)
  7. Green tea (actual tea, not concentrated pills; I squeeze an orange slice into my tea because citrus is shown to increase the effectiveness of the polyphenols in the tea if there is vitamin C present… I do not take concentrated vitamin C. I usually take a max of 200 mg per day from all sources)
  8. Superfood (Polyphenols are an important part of your diet. I’ve tried it but I don’t actually take Superfood. I take many of the extracts contained in the powder though. But I get most of my other polyphenols in my diet. This is the only reason that it ranks this low because I don’t really consider it necessary if have adequate fruit and vegetable content in your diet, but it is a good product, especially if you’re dieting and can’t eat lots of fruit.)
  9. Minimum 1/2 oz water per pound of lean mass throughout the day, plus any liquid in your peri workout nutrition.
  10. Cinnamon with meals, and 4-Hydroxyisoleucine with your periworkout nutrition. I’m not a fan of Receptormax because it contains ALA (rALA) and CoQ10 which are not really needed by most lifters IMO, although Acetyl-L-Carnitine is good, but for purposes other than general health.

…If you’re over 35:
11) (or if you’re on a statin drug) ubiquinol
12) testosterone
13) increase digestive enzyme supplementation if necessary

Supplements for performance would also include:

1. Creatine
  2. Surge
  3. L-luecine
  4. Beta-alanine
  5. Citruline malate
  6. supplemental protein
  7. Palatinose

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
if you’re looking for health, keep in mind that “you are what you eat.” I know this phrase gets thrown around a lot, but remember that it’s the most important aspect of health. What you don’t take in is just as important as what you do take in… for example, if you are intolerant, or unknowingly allergic to a certain food, yet you occasionally or frequently eat that food, then you could be compromising your health. Likewise, if you are unknowingly getting too much of something in your diet like aluminum which is found in antacids, cooking pans, and many other sources, you could be doing untold things to yourself.

So the only thing I can recommend is try to learn the ins and outs of what your body likes and doesn’t like, and try to live as naturally as possible (getting sun, cooking foods in glass or steel, not aluminum, plastic, or tephlon coated pans, getting adequate sleep, drinking plenty of purified water, etc., etc. After all those things are done, then I would start to think about supplements. I’m not trying to give you shit, these are just my recommendations. /rant

My most important supplements for health:

1. Multi - NSI Synergy Prenatal (I take a half dose, and rely on diet for the rest) (from vitacost)
  2. Organic Medicinal Mushroom Powder (Boost immune system, i.e. killer T cell count) (from mushroomharvest) (1 teaspoon daily)
  3. Vitamin D3 (4,000 iu daily, less depending on sun exposure. None at all, or just the amount in the multi if I get my skin to turn pink from my lunch time run/sprinting session)
  4. Fish Oil (5-10g daily)
  5. FA3, supplement form or whole food form is good too. Look to add the 3 sources of the fatty acids (FA3) 1) add coconut oil, 2) borage oil, and 3) EVOO (at least the amounts listed on the bottle from my diet from coconut oil and evoo, plus borage oil pills)
  6. Digestive enzymes (never chew gum because it wastes your enzyme production) (a complex with protein, carbohydrate, starch, and fat digesting enzymes - taken with each meal)
  7. Green tea (actual tea, not concentrated pills; I squeeze an orange slice into my tea because citrus is shown to increase the effectiveness of the polyphenols in the tea if there is vitamin C present… I do not take concentrated vitamin C. I usually take a max of 200 mg per day from all sources)
  8. Superfood (Polyphenols are an important part of your diet. I’ve tried it but I don’t actually take Superfood. I take many of the extracts contained in the powder though. But I get most of my other polyphenols in my diet. This is the only reason that it ranks this low because I don’t really consider it necessary if have adequate fruit and vegetable content in your diet, but it is a good product, especially if you’re dieting and can’t eat lots of fruit.)
  9. Minimum 1/2 oz water per pound of lean mass throughout the day, plus any liquid in your peri workout nutrition.
  10. Cinnamon with meals, and 4-Hydroxyisoleucine with your periworkout nutrition. I’m not a fan of Receptormax because it contains ALA (rALA) and CoQ10 which are not really needed by most lifters IMO, although Acetyl-L-Carnitine is good, but for purposes other than general health.

…If you’re over 35:
12) testosterone

1. Creatine
  2. Surge
  3. L-luecine
  4. Beta-alanine
  5. Citruline malate
  6. supplemental protein
  7. Palatinose[/quote]

That’s a shitload of stuff to be taking. How much do you spend on this stack alone?

[quote]Mr.Martian wrote:
That’s a shitload of stuff to be taking. How much do you spend on this stack alone?[/quote]

Well I don’t always take all of that everyday, but for the most part I try to:

I don’t worry too much about how I spend on this. If I had to I prob wouldn’t take this much stuff, although my health would for sure suffer. I would guess it’s about $100 for the health stuff and a little less than that for the performance stuff. I’ll have to break it down:

Supplements for health:

1. Multi - NSI Synergy Prenatal (I take a half dose, and rely on diet for the rest) (from vitacost)[/quote]$10 a month (normally $30 for 30 days worth, but I buy it on sale for $20 and use a half serving

[quote]2) Organic Medicinal Mushroom Powder (Boost immune system, i.e. killer T cell count) (from mushroomharvest) (1 teaspoon daily)[/quote]$10 a month ($30 for 454grams, and I take ~5 grams a day or roughly 1/3 a pound per month

[quote]3) Vitamin D3 (4,000 iu daily, less depending on sun exposure. None at all, or just the amount in the multi if I get my skin to turn pink from my lunch time run/sprinting session)[/quote]$10 for 150 days worth or, roughly $2 a month assuming I take it every day, but I take it only 2/3 the time (depending on sun exposure), so it’s about $1.33 a month

[quote]4) Fish Oil (5-10g daily)[/quote]$22 per month for fishoil (@ 8 grams a day that’s exactly a month’s supply)

[quote]5) FA3, supplement form or whole food form is good too. Look to add the 3 sources of the fatty acids (FA3) 1) add coconut oil, 2) borage oil, and 3) EVOO (at least the amounts listed on the bottle from my diet from coconut oil and evoo, plus borage oil pills)[/quote]I don;'t take FA3 but I do take borage oil which provides 300mg GLA per day for $3.5 per month

[quote]6) Digestive enzymes (never chew gum because it wastes your enzyme production) (a complex with protein, carbohydrate, starch, and fat digesting enzymes - taken with each meal)[/quote]1 capsule (half serving with my big meals - 3X daily) $7.5 per month

[quote]7) Green tea (actual tea, not concentrated pills; I squeeze an orange slice into my tea because citrus is shown to increase the effectiveness of the polyphenols in the tea if there is vitamin C present… I do not take concentrated vitamin C. I usually take a max of 200 mg per day from all sources)[/quote]$10 per month for TenRen green tea (bags), although sometimes I buy more expensive tea but that’s no rare occasion.

[quote]8) Superfood (Polyphenols are an important part of your diet. I’ve tried it but I don’t actually take Superfood. I take many of the extracts contained in the powder though. But I get most of my other polyphenols in my diet. This is the only reason that it ranks this low because I don’t really consider it necessary if have adequate fruit and vegetable content in your diet, but it is a good product, especially if you’re dieting and can’t eat lots of fruit.)[/quote]I don’t take this like I said, but I spend about $5 a month on wild blueberry extract @ 1 gram per day

[quote]9) Minimum 1/2 oz water per pound of lean mass throughout the day, plus any liquid in your peri workout nutrition.[/quote]Probably about $8 a month to replace filters (every 3-4 months in my filtration unit. I think the replacement filters are about $30

[quote]10) Cinnamon with meals,[/quote]$5.55 a month for 125 Milligrams water soluble cinnamon extract (procyanidin Type-A polymers) [quote]and 4-Hydroxyisoleucine [/quote] $6 a month for 100 mg 4-Hydroxyisoleucine 4 times a week.[quote]with your periworkout nutrition. I’m not a fan of Receptormax because it contains ALA (rALA) and CoQ10 which are not really needed by most lifters IMO, although Acetyl-L-Carnitine is good, but for purposes other than general health.

…If you’re over 35:[/quote]I’m not, so I don’t take any of these[quote]
12) testosterone

1. Creatine[/quote]$3.25 a month for creapure… I go through 170 grams per month

[quote]2) Surge[/quote]$35 a month assuming 4 workouts per week. I almost stopped taking Surge, because of issues with whey, but now that I cut my whey intake WAY back I now use 2 scoops of this per workout again

[quote]3) L-luecine[/quote]$6 a month for 5 grams a day

[quote]4) Beta-alanine[/quote]$9 per month for 2 grams a day of beta alanine

[quote]5) Citruline malate[/quote]$4.50 per month for powder form

[quote]6) supplemental protein[/quote] differs depending on whole food intake, but I guess it’s about 20 a month

[quote]7) Palatinose[/quote]I got a bunch of this for free and often take it perworkout.

Health Stack: $89.55

Performance Stack: $77.75

Great comprehensive post BT!

[quote]Mr.Martian wrote:

MM[/quote]

excellent suggestion, ive read the article and the benefits seem endless. im suprised i forgot this because there have been plenty of articles and tv programs pushing vitamin lately.

well im currently recovering from a pretty brutal year of cancer treatments so im really looking to perfect my nutritional needs.

currently i folllow precision nutrition protocol, ive been at that for a little over a year so my nutrition is pretty good. right now im not training, well very little untill im recovered from surgery so i cant quite get in 5-6 meals. usually i get 4 meals p+c p+f depending on how i feel and what particluar day.

i just keep reading on what to eat to prevent cancer and it basically comes down to lots of veggies and vitamins thats why ive decided to concoct a health stack.

I didn’t realize you had cancer man. Keep fighting and good luck!

You might want to contact Alwyn Cosgrove. I believe he has beaten cancer 3 or 4 times already and is a very successful trainer. I remember reading somewhere that he HIGHLY recommend curcumin.

MM

I didn’t realize you were fighting cancer wither… Glad you’re with us and putting up a good fight. That really changes my recomendations though, like how I said I didn’t recommend Superfood. In your case I would definitely include it. There’s a ton of other stuff out there that is available too. Check into curcumin, quercetin, green tea (which I already recomended), and selenium for instance. Just do a google scholar search of “antioxidants and cancer,” perhaps include your particular type of cancer.

There are also supplements and drugs that do things like raise your killer t cell count (like the mushroom extract, google agaricus blazei and cancer), and there are also supplements and drugs that shrink or reduce tumor vein formation, but an example of that escapes me at this time (try sulphoraphane maybe). Best of luck buddy.

[quote]Mr.Martian wrote:

MM[/quote]

x3

It’s also important to note that not all vitamins and supps are equal… I recently switched from a Costco multi to a high-quality multi and I’ve been on it since the spring… I’ve never been sick since… Mind you, I’m also taking ZMA and Vitamin D (based on the article) and I’ve sat back and watched my wife and 2 kids come home with colds like crazy and for the first time in my life I’m completely bullet proof to 'em…

There was an article here that had the results of an independant vitamin survey and I think it was from several years ago… But I found it with the search feature and I chose one of the top 3 for a multi…

Best = best for individual but I am taking

1/2 dose of a daily multi mineral vitamin
Fish oil = 1 tablespoon
Vitamin D = as it is rather grey at the moment
CoQ10 = for heart health as my blood pressure can get quite high with work stress
ZMA = I sleep like a baby on this

I didn’t realize you were fighting cancer wither… Glad you’re with us and putting up a good fight. That really changes my recomendations though, like how I said I didn’t recommend Superfood. In your case I would definitely include it. There’s a ton of other stuff out there that is available too. Check into curcumin, quercetin, green tea (which I already recomended), and selenium for instance. Just do a google scholar search of “antioxidants and cancer,” perhaps include your particular type of cancer.

There are also supplements and drugs that do things like raise your killer t cell count (like the mushroom extract, google agaricus blazei and cancer), and there are also supplements and drugs that shrink or reduce tumor vein formation, but an example of that escapes me at this time (try sulphoraphane maybe). Best of luck buddy.[/quote]

almost all research of cancer and nutrition seems to point towards antioxidants. ive never come across the other suggestions you have made but i am definatly going to do some research because it sounds very intrigueing.

I’ve put the following together for you:

"An angiogenesis inhibitor is a substance that inhibits angiogenesis (the growth of new blood vessels). It can be endogenous or come from outside as drug or a dietary component. Every solid tumor (in contrast to liquid tumors like leukemia) needs to generate blood vessels to keep it alive once it reaches a certain size.

…In particular, the following foodstuffs contain significant inhibitors and have been suggested as part of a healthy diet for this and other benefits:

* Soy products such as tofu and tempeh, (which contain the inhibitor "genistein")[3]
* Agaricus blazei mushrooms (angiogenesis inhibitors found in the mushroom include sodium pyroglutamate and ergosterol)[4][5]
* Reishi mushrooms (via inhibition of VEGF and TGF-beta)[6]
* Trametes versicolor mushrooms[1]
* Maitake mushrooms (via inhibition of VEGF)[2]
* Phellinus linteus mushrooms[3]
* Green tea (catechins)[citation needed]
* Red Wine (resveratrol)[citation needed]"

Also look at:
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=LYa&q=agaricus%20blazei%20and%20cancer&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=ws

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/132/8/2307

etc. etc. Best of luck man.

BT

Food. Now GTFO.

[quote]limitatinfinity wrote:
Food. Now GTFO.[/quote]

Read his posts and don’t be an idiot, or GTFO