What's That One Thought?

What’s that one thought that pushes you over the edge in the gym and allows you to reach deep inside of you to get those final reps?

The thought that I’m weak and sloppy. And that the gym monkeys all hate me.

I just think back to the last game I turned up out of condition for. Never happening again.

Pantera screaming in my ears.

The thought that if I miss the lift I’m gonna look like a real fucking idiot.

This is a long semi bodybuilding thought ha, and moreso before sets and in between short breaks but this runs through my head constantly…

If you take genetics and drugs out of the equation, how would you ? the trainer ? answer the following question?

Im 180 LBS and I want to be 280 LBS. I want to gain muscular size at the quickest, fastest rate possible all the while keeping my bodyfat at a satisfactory level. There is a million dollars in it for you it you can do it in 6 years or less.? What would you have to have him do to get him there??!! ME? ? This guy would never miss a meal, get to know a treadmill on a regular basis, and be a rest pausing maniac. And I would have a million in 5 years. not six!

During my sets, during cardio, during that 5th meal of the day I’m choking down, it’s always this.

[quote]cormac wrote:
The thought that if I miss the lift I’m gonna look like a real fucking idiot.[/quote]

Yep.

Failing on a squat is funny because it scares everyone in the gym.

Failing on the bench is not funny though - I just look stupid.

nothingness
clarity of mind gives me the best push or pull I can think of
All my PR’s have been made when my head was clear
the only thing i notice for a moment during the hard push is the way I breathe out.

it’s almost like i can hear and feel my breath from the bottom of my belly pushing the air into my head and out of my mouth
love that feeling

The fact I want it more than anything.

I find it weird that so many people are pushing themselves because they’re worried about what other peopel are gonna think.

I take lifting very seriously like many others here, so lifting is my life at the moment. Missing a lift pisses me off so much. to get pumped up i usually pray before i lift, then use some profanity as im lifting like “Don’t be a bitch, THIS IS LIGHT MOTHER FUCK*N WEIGHT,” or commands as “explode,” or “lift.” Selt motivation tlk always works for me, ronnie coleman stuff, “light weight.”

Looking like an idiot, getting badly injured, it’s the same thing when you’re talking about keeping the bar overhead in the oly lifts.

I like to push my self, why lift if you arent trying to make noticable progress every workout.

I don’t think. Thinking is a distraction, distracting me from my one and only goal of being strong. When I’m going for that last rep, my only focus is the rep. I don’t care about anything else at that moment. It only takes a split second to miss a lift, and thinking could cause that.

[quote]bearmd wrote:
I don’t think. Thinking is a distraction, distracting me from my one and only goal of being strong. When I’m going for that last rep, my only focus is the rep. I don’t care about anything else at that moment. It only takes a split second to miss a lift, and thinking could cause that.[/quote]

Or you could think about how you walked in on your dad fucking your wife, that could piss you off enough to get that last rep.

BTW, that hasn’t happened to me, I was just thinking of fucked up shit.

i dont think, i just psyche myself up and go crazy and lift the weight

[quote]Jacked Diesel wrote:
bearmd wrote:
I don’t think. Thinking is a distraction, distracting me from my one and only goal of being strong. When I’m going for that last rep, my only focus is the rep. I don’t care about anything else at that moment. It only takes a split second to miss a lift, and thinking could cause that.

Or you could think about how you walked in on your dad fucking your wife, that could piss you off enough to get that last rep.

BTW, that hasn’t happened to me, I was just thinking of fucked up shit.
[/quote]

Hmm, I don’t know, I’m more of a powerlifter. If I’m distracted by my woman being banged by my dad, then I’m not focusing on pushing my knees out, leading with my head, driving through the outsides of my feet, keeping a tight arch, sitting back, etc.

When I get to a max single, I’d rather focus on doing shit right than just getting pissed off and GMing out of the hole and muscling it up. But, to each their own I guess.

Yeah, once in a while I silently think to myself, “don’t be a bitch.”

not always, but sometimes if i’m going to go for a max or something (if i remember), i’ll try to visualize myself being a much bigger , stronger version…basically like imagine myself looking down and looking at huge motherfuckin legs, and just try to be someone stronger

-and sometimes, if its a particularily hard set, ill take a little extra rest time, and think back to my buddy (oh uh, here comes a quick story)

for reference, he sits around 300 offseason at my hight (6feet ish), with full abs showing, and he’ll be in the canadian nationals (joe hughes, just got signed on his first sponsorship and opened a nutrition/suppliment store)next year for bodybuilding…and even though he has the most incredible genetics…everything he does is complete and full dedication, 24/7, -hes 25, and has some big aspirations and is making it happen

-anyways, he invited me to workout with him (even though he hates having a workout partner) for a leg day…and i reluctanly accepted (and had to pretend like i was grateful and excited haha-however i’ve seen him workout many times before and knew what i was getting myself into)

-basically it was brutal, as the plan was to give me a lesson on intensity, but i was happy to get through it keeping up and Not throwing up, rather proud of myself haha

-anyways, i really appreciated what he did, and think back to what he puts into all he does and reminds me to man up, all the time, every time

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
i usually pray before i lift, then use some profanity as im lifting like “Don’t be a bitch, THIS IS LIGHT MOTHER FUCK*N WEIGHT,”[/quote]

Who you praying to? Captain Marvel, the Hulk, Conan or some Viking warrior? You pray then start using profanity…weird.

I stay calm take deep breaths focus in and perform the lifts concentrating on form and technique.

hah probably not typical but for my less then year of training I’ve made great progress just staying really focused and calm.

Everyone gets focused in different ways but thats what it comes down to, staying motivated and focused on your goals.