What's So Bad About Mayonnaise?

[quote]MeinHerzBrennt wrote:
I use Cain’s all natural mayo. The ingrediants are pretty much the same as you listed so I figured it was ok (i’m trying to gain size). It’s an easy way to add 100cals IMO and shouldn’t be a big deal at all given the ingrediants in it. [/quote]

soybean oil or olive oil?

[quote]pumped340 wrote:
MeinHerzBrennt wrote:
I use Cain’s all natural mayo. The ingrediants are pretty much the same as you listed so I figured it was ok (i’m trying to gain size). It’s an easy way to add 100cals IMO and shouldn’t be a big deal at all given the ingrediants in it.

soybean oil or olive oil?[/quote]

soybean

I know that high amounts of omega 6 has been shown to be pro-imflammatory but for those who eat pretty clean day in and day out, and are not getting processed/sugary junk, this should be fine.

I love mayonnaise, tonight I had it on my burritos.

haha i love the avatar benaiah

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
I never understood how mayo’s made with egg yolks but doesn’t have protein. How’s that work?[/quote]

I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure that the yolk in the egg contains the fats and the egg whites contain the protein - I’ve always assumed this because why else would people on the site recommend egg whites all the time?

i make my own
I use eggs and olive oil thats it

very easy to make

[quote]BruceLeeFan wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
I never understood how mayo’s made with egg yolks but doesn’t have protein. How’s that work?

I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure that the yolk in the egg contains the fats and the egg whites contain the protein - I’ve always assumed this because why else would people on the site recommend egg whites all the time?[/quote]

That’s incorrect.

In a whole egg that has 7g protein, roughly 4-5 of those grams are in the white, while 2-3 are in the yolk.

You are correct that the yolk contains almost all the fat (and cholesterol, as well as most of the other nutrients), though.

WhiteFlash: I too am perplexed at how mayo can be pretty much protein-free, when made from egg yolks. I’ve made home-made mayo before, and by my basic nutritional calculations, it sure as hell had protein in it.

Price doesn’t look any worse…of course locally YMMV.

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgmenbr=189238&cgrfnbr=191668

EDIT
Forgot to include link.

[quote]Nich wrote:
i make my own
I use eggs and olive oil thats it

very easy to make [/quote]

Could you give the recipe you use? (amounts of each and how they are prepared)

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
That’s incorrect.

In a whole egg that has 7g protein, roughly 4-5 of those grams are in the white, while 2-3 are in the yolk.

You are correct that the yolk contains almost all the fat (and cholesterol, as well as most of the other nutrients), though.

[/quote]
Ah thanks for clearing that up for me :smiley:

My only guess as to why mayonnaise is labeled as having no protein in it has to do with the idea that the lowest amount of actual egg yolk needed for emulsification to occur is small enough that, per serving, it amounts to less than one gram.

That being said, I’ve never made mayo before, so I can’t say for sure how many yolks would constitute the necessary minimum. I also wouldn’t put it past some companies to seek out other (non-caloric) emulsifiers to combine with the yolk in order to keep the total calories down (making it more “public friendly”).

edit: An interesting experiment delving into the emulsifying capabilities of eggs:
http://www.vendian.org/envelope/dir1/mayo.html

http://www.premiersystems.com/recipes/sauces/mayonaise-sauce.html

Nice simple recipie :smiley:

Going to go well with my plan for university for a nice simple P+F meal… tuna mayo! :smiley:
Made with a whole can of tuna steak and a big dollop of homemade mayonaise. Served alongside some steamed green veggies… YUM!

[quote]Madman2 wrote:
pumped340 wrote:
whats so bad about this stuff?

1 tbsp. has
calories: 90
fat: 10g fat
carbs: 0g
protein: 0g

it only has 1.5g of saturated fat meaning the rest is “good fat”. doesnt look any worse than olive oil. i mean i’m sure it doesnt have the health benefits of olive oil but whats actually wrong with it, the soybean oil?

Because of the idiots on the Low Fat bandwagon.[/quote]

Low fat diets are an extremely successful way to get lean and have been proven so.

because mayo is an emulsion, meaning the fat is broken up into tiny particles and suspended in liquid, any flavor the oil has will be supermagnified. light, neutral oil makes the best mayo. the lighter the better. easier to emulsify too because it has less particles of stuff(flavor) in it.

olive oil, especially evoo doesn’t make good mayonnaise…it’s got too much flavor. i’ve made mayo with as little as 10% evoo and it still tastes like shit and will completely dominate whatever you put it on. i don’t even like for making aioli(garlic mayo).

anyways the health concern w/ mayo is oxidized cholesterol…how stable is the fat/cholesterol and how long has it been oxidizing is the real question. for store bought the answer is anybody’s guess…you also don’t know if they started w/ fresh ingredients or used powdered or spray dried eggs or whatever. or how long that stuff sat on a hot loading dock etc.

yea all good points by you guys (except the guy who said low fat diets are good for getting lean)

i think it would be pretty easy to make my own, just blending in some eggs and light in taste olive oil. The only problem then is i dont know how much in a serving but oh well

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Moon Knight wrote:
Spectrum makes mayonnaise products with canola and olive oils (two separate products).

I use the Spectrum Omega-3 mayonnaise. It has kind of a ‘fishy’ taste to it, but you get used to it quick. I don’t think I’ve seen their olive oil version, but I’ll have to keep an eye out for it and give it a try.[/quote]

Another Spectrum eater here (and I haven’t seen the olive oil one either!).

The taste is definitely, um, different, but I’ve come to really like it now.

I found a mayonnaise made with olive oil at Wal Mart. I like the stuff, great for tuna fish sandwiches. It doesn’t taste quite like normal mayonnaise, but the taste is fine for me.

I’m fortunate in that I’m not that picky of an eater, so I’m willing to try all kinds of stuff and like it.

When Wylie Dufresne wanted to deep-fry mayo he had to come up with a new recipe that uses grapeseed oil. Check it out here: http://www.starchefs.com/chefs/rising_stars/2005/newyork/html/tongue_onion_w_dufresne.shtml

[quote]SBT wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
Moon Knight wrote:
Spectrum makes mayonnaise products with canola and olive oils (two separate products).

I use the Spectrum Omega-3 mayonnaise. It has kind of a ‘fishy’ taste to it, but you get used to it quick. I don’t think I’ve seen their olive oil version, but I’ll have to keep an eye out for it and give it a try.

Another Spectrum eater here (and I haven’t seen the olive oil one either!).

The taste is definitely, um, different, but I’ve come to really like it now.[/quote]

Agreed. Once I got used to it, I’ve come to prefer it to regular mayo.