T Nation

What's RE Stand for in Westside Training?

Thanks

Repetition Effort (i.e. you focus on repping out) usually a hypertrophy tool and often substituted for DE when DE is tearing you up. Or sometimes used for a break.

Im kind of hesitant about answering this one since it seems every time you post in this section, its to try and prove some point…and this is definitely a question that could have been answered with a quick search, but…

Repetition effort is used in addition to ME and DE work… so you are training for limit strength (ME), dynamic strength (DE), and hypertrophy (RE) across the same week long microcycle.

I had never heard of it until yesterday. Every Westside writeup on the net only mentions DE and ME.

[quote]Nominal Prospect wrote:
I had never heard of it until yesterday. Every Westside writeup on the net only mentions DE and ME.[/quote]

it didn’t get super popular on the net till wsfsb came out.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Nominal Prospect wrote:
I had never heard of it until yesterday. Every Westside writeup on the net only mentions DE and ME.

it didn’t get super popular on the net till wsfsb came out.[/quote]

Wrong.

Oh hai guise…

zephead,

buckeye thinks that you should have an abortion

stronghold says you’re wrong

and im just loling

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Nominal Prospect wrote:

Wrong.

[/quote]

really? It was in WSB articles before then but the VAST majority of writing about RE training, and people using it that I’ve seen comes from around 2004.

ALso, I’m not talking about just using the hypertrophy rep ranges. But from what I’ve seen and read is exploded in popularity around 2004, when the first WSB article it was featured in came out in 2001 and was obviously around before that.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
Oh hai guise…

zephead,

and im just loling[/quote]

oh noes. :frowning:

why didn’t I get an invite to the party?

I believe it started back in the 70s or so with the Soviets.

[quote]Ryan P. McCarter wrote:
I believe it started back in the 70s or so with the Soviets.[/quote]

well technically it probably goes back to when weight training started. a rep range isn’t a special thing. However I’m going to stick to it and say that the “RE method” as far people using that term got extremely more popular after WSFSB came out.

No, I mean the term.

FightingScott wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Nominal Prospect wrote:

Wrong.

really? It was in WSB articles before then but the VAST majority of writing about RE training, and people using it that I’ve seen comes from around 2004.

ALso, I’m not talking about just using the hypertrophy rep ranges. But from what I’ve seen and read is exploded in popularity around 2004, when the first WSB article it was featured in came out in 2001 and was obviously around before that.[/quote]

Westside really hasn’t reacted to what Joe DeFranco’s done.

They have always used the “Repetition Method” for their assistance work that they do after their Speed Work or Max Effort Work.

The Repetition Method is the oldest and most popular way to train with weights.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
FightingScott wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Nominal Prospect wrote:

Wrong.

ALso, I’m not talking about just using the hypertrophy rep ranges. But from what I’ve seen and read is exploded in popularity around 2004, when the first WSB article it was featured in came out in 2001 and was obviously around before that.

They have always used the “Repetition Method” for their assistance work that they do after their Speed Work or Max Effort Work.

The Repetition Method is the oldest and most popular way to train with weights. [/quote]

no shit, this is exactly what I said except that using RE as the term for hypertrophy work exploded when wsfsb came out.

detazathoth wrote:
Oh hai guise…

zephead,

and im just loling

oh noes. :frowning:

why didn’t I get an invite to the party?[/quote]

cuz the internet people had a powerlifting meet that we all wanted to do, and now we’re all going to ohio for a pro am.

FightingScott wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
FightingScott wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Nominal Prospect wrote:

Wrong.

The Repetition Method is the oldest and most popular way to train with weights.

no shit, this is exactly what I said except that using RE as the term for hypertrophy work exploded when wsfsb came out.[/quote]

Zep’s on the money here.

I always just saw it refered to as assitance/supplementary/hypertrophy work until Joe D came out with WS4SB. Then when DeFranco started talkinga bout RE work, everyone was talking about it like it was the next big thing.

Of course it’s ALWAYS been the biggest thing in weight training. But that’s neither here nor there for the purpose of this discussion.

How did this thread last beyond the first response?

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
How did this thread last beyond the first response?[/quote]

Because people like to hear themselves post.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
KBCThird wrote:

Because people like to hear themselves post.[/quote]

Ain’t that the truth!

[quote]malonetd wrote:
KBCThird wrote:

Because people like to hear themselves post.[/quote]

No it’s not.

It’s because people like to argue.

See what I did there? :stuck_out_tongue: