What's Next After 8x8

Worked a 4 day split for 2 yrs. Currently trying to cut some body fat and mix things up. Started 8x8 two weeks ago and added approx 5 hrs of both low and hiite cardio. I plan to stay on this 2-4 more weeks and I will hopefully be down to about 8-9% bf. What would be some good ideas for gaining mass or strength or both?

[quote]trhoads155 wrote:
Worked a 4 day split for 2 yrs. Currently trying to cut some body fat and mix things up. Started 8x8 two weeks ago and added approx 5 hrs of both low and hiite cardio. I plan to stay on this 2-4 more weeks and I will hopefully be down to about 8-9% bf. What would be some good ideas for gaining mass or strength or both? [/quote]

How did the 4 day split work out for you?

Your goals seem all over the place and quite vague. You want mass, strength, low bodyfat, more “interesting” workouts, and you don’t seem to have a long term plan.

When you figure that out, the quality of the help you get will be significantly higher.

We’ll obviously 9x9 is next.

[quote]Reed wrote:
We’ll obviously 9x9 is next.[/quote]

Lol, as I said.

[quote]trhoads155 wrote:
Started 8x8 two weeks ago and added approx 5 hrs of both low and hiite cardio.[/quote]
8x8 is plenty cardio-ish by itself. Adding another hour a day of cardio on top of that shouldn’t have been necessary.

In the last two weeks, how has your bodyweight, appearance, and strength changed?

There are tons of good ideas out there. This site has about 14 years worth in the article archives. Like Rez said, a little more background/goal info will help to narrow down the next step.

Or, when in doubt, 5/3/1. :wink:

Didn’t mean to be vague. The 4 day split was getting old and thanks to what im picking up here, I realize that changing up a routine is vital. I did gain some lean muscle but hit a plateau. Also, I reached about 23% bf which was another reason I went with the 8x8.
Started cycling my diet l 10/5 and started the 8x8 2 1/2 weeks ago.
Wt was 194- now 185lbs
Bf approx 15%
I have added weight but my main focus has been form and limiting RI to 20 sec.
I should have pointed out that,at 56, there is not much of a chance add setting world records! I do enjoy the challenge and discipline tho and my goal is to get as developed as possible. I worked construction 30 yrs and have always had usable strength and now I want to avoid looking like all the old farts I worked with!
Other info
Got blood work back and they are great
Don’t smoke, drink any alcohol.
diet is 30% off my base number for 3 days then 1 day at maintenance.

[quote]trhoads155 wrote:
I should have pointed out that,at 56, there is not much of a chance add setting world records! I do enjoy the challenge and discipline tho and my goal is to get as developed as possible. I worked construction 30 yrs and have always had usable strength and now I want to avoid looking like all the old farts I worked with![/quote]
Take a look at the Washed-Up Meathead plan. It’s 3 days a week with strength work, muscle building work, mobility work, and cardio finishers:

That would be a great change once you’re finished with your current plan.

Thanks Chris, the DeFranco sample 3 day program looks interesting, but I have a couple of questions. Seems like there is a lot of shoulder, chest, leg and tricep work but what about back and biceps work. I know that they get hit while doing the complex exercises but what do you think about adding some in so i can maintain the schedule I use now. It will be similar to my current one, however with the new exercises, volumes, and reps, it looks like it would be a great way to add size AND strength so I won’t be favoring one or the other. I think the conditioning I have will support it.

The DeFranco outline also doesn’t talk about rest intervals. Should I keep them short or should they be longer? I think it is important to try to keep my actual workout around 45 minutes or so. Also, any thoughts on a change in my nutrition so I can add lean muscle without gaining back the fat that I’ve been busting my ass to lose? Thanks
Sample added day
Warmup
seated cable row
Incline reverse fly
Gironda 45° cable pull
body drag curl
Preacher ez bar curls
Incline dumbbell curls
20 minutes hiit

[quote]trhoads155 wrote:
Seems like there is a lot of shoulder, chest, leg and tricep work but what about back and biceps work.[/quote]
One upper body day hits the chest, back, triceps, and shoulders; the other upper body day hits back, shoulder, tris, and bis. Everything’s getting plenty of work between the strength-based work and the hypertrophy stuff. It’s designed to be a 3 day a week plan on purpose - recovery, weekly progression, etc.

Generally, rest as long as you need to, but not longer. :wink: Really though, generally enough to catch your breath and feel ready to go for the next set without interfering with performance.

Why? If it’s because of the thing about Testosterone levels dropping after an hour of training, that’s not entirely accurate. If it’s an issue with your own schedule, then it’s just an matter of hustling through the session as best you can.

Lots of different eating plans out there, depending a bit on how you’ve been eating. One general “plan” to consider:

Thanks for the information, Chris. I will finish my 4th and last week of the 8x8. I think my plan will be to take a week off and reload, maybe just some light stuff and cardio. I also have a friend who is a trainer at the Y I go to and we are going to spend a training session on determining my 1RM on the important lifts. Then I will finally make my mind up on my next program. I’m sure it will either be the meatgead program or Chris Waterburys 6 week regiman,but I am looking at your program that was featured in Tnation the other day.

Thanks again and I will post a before shot before starting my next program.