T Nation

What's My Weakness?

I can't tell if my weakness is RFD, reactive ability, or strength. Here's some stats, right now I'm about 15, 150 pounds, 25" vertical jump, 160 squat, 120 bench, and I run a 7 minute mile. What should I work on first?

At this stage, everything is a weakness. Your young, so eat like crazy and start building healthy habits now. In terms of training, adopt a basic program using mainly compound movments that involve more than one muscle grip at once. Dips, Chins, Rows, Bench, Squats, Deadlifts, etc. Don't worry much about single joint exercises like leg extensions, bicep curls, tricep kickbacks, etc. Good luck
-Matt

1. Getting bigger.

but seriously:

1. Find your goals: Fooball? just wana be big? Powerlifting? Bodybuilding?

2. Get to the gym regularly, make it a habit, then an obsesession. Get someone to show you proper form for big & important lifts (bench, squatting, deadlifting). When you'r ready, the Olympic Lifts.

3. Drive the concept into your head that getting to the gym is great, but nutrition will take you all the way there, and fast, especially at your age, over the next few years.

4. After you've got those things good, start recording what your lifting, and what you're eating.

5. get motivation, encouragement, and advice from older and more experienced people (in person is better, like a coach or something). Because at your age, its so easy to quit and drop out.

These aren't really in any particular order.

You should work on lifting weights...how long have you been working out?

just hit the gym everyday. stay motivated and read alot of this site and youll reach all your goals

Strength is your weakness.

You can't ask a question like that without first telling us what you are attempting to do with your body.

If you want to be a good miler you need to lift less and run more. On the other hand if you want to be a powerlifter you need to cut the running and focus on the big three.

So which is it?

My goal is basically to get better at basketball and football, to get faster, stronger, and jump higher. Thanks in advance. I've been lifting on and off for about 6 months.

Absolutely. Even with the low bodyweight, those numbers are on the low side.
It would help to know your goals, but rest assured--simply hitting the gym with a plan and some resove will be of great help to reach any goal.

I definitly agree that you need to have goals defined to help you work towards. At your age, you can easily see a ton of "newbie" gains just by doing some basics. I think a program similar to this is great for high-school aged kids (actually, I think this template can work well for anybody, but particularly for athletes who have been training seriously for less than 2 years).

Monday
Lower Body Hip-Dominant- 4x6
Upper Body Vertical Push- 4x6
Upper Body Vertical Pull- 4x6
Lower Body Quad-Dominant- 4x6
Isolation Exercise Group A- 3x10

Wednesday
Lower Body Hip-Dominant- 4x6
Upper Body Horizontal Push- 4x6
Upper Body Horizontal Pull-4x6
Lower Body Quad-Dominant- 4x6
Isolation Exercise Group B- 3x10

Friday
Unilateral Leg 1- 3x8 each leg
Unilateral Push- 3x8 each arm
Unilateral Pull- 3x8 each arm
Unilateral Leg 2- 3x8 each leg
Isolation Exercise Group C

Saturday
GPP Work
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=468125
Read article... Do the circuits the way he instructs

For weight selection, choose weights for all exercises that will make the last 2 or 3 reps of the last set a bitch to complete. If you hit failure before the last set stop your set and do less weight the next time. If you hit failure in the middle of the last set, stop and keep the weight the same the next time. If you complete the whole set and the last couple of reps of the last set were not very difficult, up the weight just a little bit the next week.

Do this for 4 weeks and then on the 5th week (unload week) only do 2 days a week of moderate volume, low-intensity lifting. The exercises you choose aren't important, just make sure you are getting most of your muscle groups and you aren't approachign failure on any set. The purpose of an unload week is to rest and let your body recover and catch up.

Lower Body Hip-Dominant
-Wide Stance Parallel Back Squat
-Box Squat
-Romanian Deadlift
-Good Morning
-Glute Ham Raise
-Snatch Grip Deadlifts

Lower Body Quad-Dominant
-Front Squat
-Olympic Style Back Squat
-Close-Stance Parallel Back Squat
-Trap Bar Deadlift
-Leg Press (if no other alternatives)

Lower Body Unilateral Exercises
Walking or Reverse Lunges
Step-Ups
Single-Leg Split Squats
Unweighted "Pistol" Squats

Upper Body Push
Push Press (Vertical)
Military Press (Vertical)
Bench Press (Horizontal)
Decline Press (Horizontal)
Floor Press (Horizontal)
Incline Press (Can be used as either)
For Unilateral, use any of these but with dumbells.

Upper Body Pull
Chin Ups or Pull Ups (Vertical)
Lat Pulldowns (Vertical)
Bentover Rows (Horizontal)
Cable Rows (Horizontal)
For Unilateral, you can use bentover dumbell rows, 1-armed cable rows or 1-armed lat pulldowns. You can even incorporate 1-armed Chin Up negatives (jump up to the top position and lower yourself very slowly with 1 arm)

Isolation Group A
Dumbell or Barbell Curls
Preacher Curls
Hammer Curls

Isolation Group B
Tricep Pressdowns
Skullcrushers
Tricep Pullovers

Isolation Group C
Ab circuit- Pick any 3 ab exercises and perform them in circuit fashion. Aim for over 100 total reps.

I think that is a great way to start out. If you train using a template like that or another that emphasis compound movements and unilateral work in a moderate rep range, you will be amazed at what you can achieve in a year. After that, you will have developed a good base and will be able to start manipulating that or other templates for more specific goals. The number one deficiency in high school athletes is simply pure strength!

Strength is your main weakness at this point. When your strength is higher, you will be able to express reactivity, etc. much more easily. If you increase your strength, then you should be able to move towards your goals of being bigger, faster and stronger. I also agree with the earlier posts about just doing compound exercises.