T Nation

What's It Like to Be a Lawyer?

you know , lawyers really get a bad rap . I , unfortubately , have had to use the services of a lawyer several times ; and I can honestly say I’ve never had a bad experience with them .

actually , most of the time after the issue was over , I felt like I learned something.

I hired an attorney to walk me thru the process of buying my house . most folks would say I was stupid . money well spent in my opinion.

hi-jack over

These threads are always so stupid.

You’ve applied to law school and have every intention on going, even though you have no idea what it’s like to be a lawyer. That’s completely moronic.

I would give lots words of caution, but there’s no point. Nothing anyone says will change your mind.

Another clueless kid who can’t figure out what he wants to do with his life, but doesn’t want to work, so he goes to law school without a clue.

Good luck. Because in this legal job market, you’re going to need a lot of it.

Having been involved with lawyers and the courts several times, I now agree with Shakespear’s statement on the subject: “The first thing we must do is kill all the lawyers.”

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
These threads are always so stupid.

You’ve applied to law school and have every intention on going, even though you have no idea what it’s like to be a lawyer. That’s completely moronic.

I would give lots words of caution, but there’s no point. Nothing anyone says will change your mind.

Another clueless kid who can’t figure out what he wants to do with his life, but doesn’t want to work, so he goes to law school without a clue.

Good luck. Because in this legal job market, you’re going to need a lot of it.[/quote]

2 words. Fuck off. You have something constructive to say? I’m listening. If not, there’s a donkey show somewhere in Tijuana that misses you.

On second thought, I realize I might have been a little harsh, given that you know nothing about me, and can be expected to make generalizations. However, it’s still pretty bogus that you would make such generalizations.

I am an econ major. I had an epiphany 2 years ago when I got knocked out in bjj practice. I had been reading a lot of philosophy for class at the time, and was strongly influenced by Rawls, Aristotle and Epicurus. Upon awakening I realized that I hadn’t done much with my life, I’d largely been coasting by on natural talent. Natural talent is like a lottery, how much you get is random, and it is justice to be judged on what we do with that talent (this is Rawls speaking). I overhauled my life at that point, and tried to make the most of my talents by changing my habits (Aristotle).

Anyway, I had a late start in my academic career, and although I am a gifted economist (for an undergrad) by dint of hard work and the aforementioned natural talent, my foundation is shaky. I looked into doing something with my econ degree, and I actually have several options, ranging from grad school (I’m a shoe-in at my current institution, don’t need to take any tests, they’ll just take me in) to jobs in the government, to the finance industry (although this option is not as viable anymore).

I decided to also explore the option of law school, influenced partly I’ll admit because I am an avid Boston Legal fan. After my initial exploration, I thought I would be a decent fit, as I have a knack for understanding the components/implications of an argument, am no stranger to reading large texts, and my econ background. I did a cost/benefit analysis and decided law school was my best bet. I quit my part time job as a waiter/bartender to study for the LSAT, and did phenomenally well, with a 174. I have a good chance at t14, and am positive I have at least t20. I am still in school btw, I graduate after this semester ends.

I have much less knowledge than I would like as to what I am getting into. However, I am pretty sure it is the best bet I have. I am not doing it to avoid work, or the real world as my other options are certainly viable, and attractive. I started this thread in an attempt to remedy the knowledge issue.

So, that is a condensed version of my story. If you still think I’m a complete moron for going and have reasons why, then I will gladly listen. I understand that a lot of people are drawn in by the prestige and glamor, when the reality is that there are very few people who get jobs involving that, and even less who are satisfied with it. Knowing that, I am still willing to bet on myself.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
Having been involved with lawyers and the courts several times, I now agree with Shakespear’s statement on the subject: “The first thing we must do is kill all the lawyers.”[/quote]

The reason to kill the lawyers was to allow for rebellion, anarchy, the loss of individual rights, and the abuse of due process. Way to quote without thinking about the context, sirrah!

[quote]belligerent wrote:
Having been involved with lawyers and the courts several times, I now agree with Shakespear’s statement on the subject: “The first thing we must do is kill all the lawyers.”[/quote]

It looks like atleast some of your contact with the legal system has been within the context of being a criminal defendant. It also looks like you’ve gotten a good result atleast twice.

OP,
Please make note. You will have some clients like this, and not just in criminal law. You will get positive results from them, yet they don’t appreciate it.

[quote]Spike9726 wrote:
You will get positive results from them, yet they don’t appreciate it. [/quote]

That goes for just about any profession.

[quote]blithe wrote:
On second thought, I realize I might have been a little harsh, given that you know nothing about me, and can be expected to make generalizations. However, it’s still pretty bogus that you would make such generalizations.

I am an econ major. I had an epiphany 2 years ago when I got knocked out in bjj practice. I had been reading a lot of philosophy for class at the time, and was strongly influenced by Rawls, Aristotle and Epicurus. Upon awakening I realized that I hadn’t done much with my life, I’d largely been coasting by on natural talent. Natural talent is like a lottery, how much you get is random, and it is justice to be judged on what we do with that talent (this is Rawls speaking). I overhauled my life at that point, and tried to make the most of my talents by changing my habits (Aristotle).

Anyway, I had a late start in my academic career, and although I am a gifted economist (for an undergrad) by dint of hard work and the aforementioned natural talent, my foundation is shaky. I looked into doing something with my econ degree, and I actually have several options, ranging from grad school (I’m a shoe-in at my current institution, don’t need to take any tests, they’ll just take me in) to jobs in the government, to the finance industry (although this option is not as viable anymore).

I decided to also explore the option of law school, influenced partly I’ll admit because I am an avid Boston Legal fan. After my initial exploration, I thought I would be a decent fit, as I have a knack for understanding the components/implications of an argument, am no stranger to reading large texts, and my econ background. I did a cost/benefit analysis and decided law school was my best bet. I quit my part time job as a waiter/bartender to study for the LSAT, and did phenomenally well, with a 174. I have a good chance at t14, and am positive I have at least t20. I am still in school btw, I graduate after this semester ends.

I have much less knowledge than I would like as to what I am getting into. However, I am pretty sure it is the best bet I have. I am not doing it to avoid work, or the real world as my other options are certainly viable, and attractive. I started this thread in an attempt to remedy the knowledge issue.

So, that is a condensed version of my story. If you still think I’m a complete moron for going and have reasons why, then I will gladly listen. I understand that a lot of people are drawn in by the prestige and glamor, when the reality is that there are very few people who get jobs involving that, and even less who are satisfied with it. Knowing that, I am still willing to bet on myself.[/quote]

Your economics background will do you well. There is a strong economics component to current legal analysis.

http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/LawandEconomics.html

[quote]blithe wrote:
On second thought, I realize I might have been a little harsh, given that you know nothing about me, and can be expected to make generalizations. However, it’s still pretty bogus that you would make such generalizations.

I am an econ major. I had an epiphany 2 years ago when I got knocked out in bjj practice. I had been reading a lot of philosophy for class at the time, and was strongly influenced by Rawls, Aristotle and Epicurus. Upon awakening I realized that I hadn’t done much with my life, I’d largely been coasting by on natural talent. Natural talent is like a lottery, how much you get is random, and it is justice to be judged on what we do with that talent (this is Rawls speaking). I overhauled my life at that point, and tried to make the most of my talents by changing my habits (Aristotle).

Anyway, I had a late start in my academic career, and although I am a gifted economist (for an undergrad) by dint of hard work and the aforementioned natural talent, my foundation is shaky. I looked into doing something with my econ degree, and I actually have several options, ranging from grad school (I’m a shoe-in at my current institution, don’t need to take any tests, they’ll just take me in) to jobs in the government, to the finance industry (although this option is not as viable anymore).

I decided to also explore the option of law school, influenced partly I’ll admit because I am an avid Boston Legal fan. After my initial exploration, I thought I would be a decent fit, as I have a knack for understanding the components/implications of an argument, am no stranger to reading large texts, and my econ background. I did a cost/benefit analysis and decided law school was my best bet. I quit my part time job as a waiter/bartender to study for the LSAT, and did phenomenally well, with a 174. I have a good chance at t14, and am positive I have at least t20. I am still in school btw, I graduate after this semester ends.

I have much less knowledge than I would like as to what I am getting into. However, I am pretty sure it is the best bet I have. I am not doing it to avoid work, or the real world as my other options are certainly viable, and attractive. I started this thread in an attempt to remedy the knowledge issue.

So, that is a condensed version of my story. If you still think I’m a complete moron for going and have reasons why, then I will gladly listen. I understand that a lot of people are drawn in by the prestige and glamor, when the reality is that there are very few people who get jobs involving that, and even less who are satisfied with it. Knowing that, I am still willing to bet on myself.[/quote]

He may be harsh, but he is also a lawyer.

I agree with him that you need to find out more about the profession you are going into as a general premise, but I disagree with Calilaw that not doing so will automatically result in failure. I didn’t even know any dentists personally before I went to school for it. I had no clue what to expect and yes, that made it more difficult than those who had family members who were doctors and basically grew up around it.

I know that law isn’t like medical professions. I only know it second hand because a girl I used to date was in law school while I was in dental school, so because of the stress of the job, knowing if it is for you in detail before you begin may be paramount to your success.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
belligerent wrote:
Having been involved with lawyers and the courts several times, I now agree with Shakespear’s statement on the subject: “The first thing we must do is kill all the lawyers.”

The reason to kill the lawyers was to allow for rebellion, anarchy, the loss of individual rights, and the abuse of due process. Way to quote without thinking about the context, sirrah![/quote]

Damn your education!

Ruin a good quote like that.

Call up 5-10 lawyers from various fields, different age/experience levels, get a good cross section, and ask them to lunch. The law itself is huge, there are a lot of things going on. The guys w/ good grades from the bigger schools are going to have a different reality from someone w/ a 2.5 in the night program at the nearby tier 4 school. A lot of the newer lawers who maybe haven’t found their niche are going to have a different perspective than those who have found a good niche.

Most are very busy but generally like to talk. I’ve just started to hang my shingle. I’ve found several other solo practicioners who have been willing to help.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:

Your economics background will do you well. There is a strong economics component to current legal analysis.

http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/LawandEconomics.html

[/quote]

Thanks for the link. I’ve been looking into law and economics as its own field, but I believe that I need at the very least a Master’s in Econ before I can specialize in that. However it is good to know that I will be putting my degree to good use.

Sorry to hijack, but I’m thinking about having sex with a woman. I know there’s some guys on here that have done so already. What it like? I want to make sure it’s right for me before I jump in too quickly.

[quote]sen say wrote:
Sorry to hijack, but I’m thinking about having sex with a woman. I know there’s some guys on here that have done so already. What it like? I want to make sure it’s right for me before I jump in too quickly.[/quote]

I believe that with your extensive background in jelqing and your natural attributes being what they are, that you have at least some of the fundamental requirements for sex with a woman. However, beyond that, I can only provide my own experiences and let you make your own decisions based upon what you think is right for you.

That being said…I find it to be best if you stick it in her pooper.

[quote]blithe wrote:
That being said…I find it to be best if you stick it in her pooper.[/quote]

2 words. Fuck off. You have something constructive to say? I’m listening. If not, there’s a donkey show somewhere in Tijuana that misses you.

There’s a world of difference between a jest and a stereotyping of someone you know next to nothing about.

[quote]sen say wrote:
Sorry to hijack, but I’m thinking about having sex with a woman. I know there’s some guys on here that have done so already. What it like? I want to make sure it’s right for me before I jump in too quickly.[/quote]

I suggest you stick to men and leave the women to me.

I am about a month away from finishing my first semester of law school. To be honest, I love it. Like others have said if you enjoy being challenged mentally with regards to critical thinking. GO for it!

[quote]blithe wrote:
There’s a world of difference between a jest and a stereotyping of someone you know next to nothing about.[/quote]

I think you meant to type:

There’th a world of differnthce between a jesth and a thtereotyping of thomeone you know next to nothing about, thailor.