What's in Your Kitchen?

Side question: Do any of y’all feel like the motors on your blenders wear out fairly quickly with consistent use? I went through 2 blenders last year, and while they weren’t the top of the line models they weren’t dollar store specials either. Not sure blenders were designed with those that drink 2+ “hefty” shakes a day.

Big ass Freezer

good chef’s knife
high powered bar blender
enamel coated dutch oven

I could get by with those three things

masher (I make mashed potatoes often and sometimes egg salad)
strainer (for straining potatoes and pasta and even yogurt (for tzatziki sauce) if you place a paper coffee strainer over it)
George Forman grill
toaster oven
microwave
chopper (for tuna and chicken salad mostly)
cutting boards
several types of knives
peeler
whisk
small food scale

Only thing I haven’t seen mentioned much, you can get a cheap food scale. I got one from Target for like $8 iirc (1lb max weight). The max weight is small but it’s cheap as shit and you can work around the limitation easily.

Yo,rrjc. Find a local Chef’s or Restaurant Outlet store or Gourmet wharehouse for top quality kitchen equipment at a discount.

Spend the money on:

1. A high quality knife and sharpener
  2. The best blender you can afford, because not only will you be using it for shakes, but a top notch blender can double as a food processor
  3. Cast iron pan

[quote]atg410 wrote:
good chef’s knife
high powered bar blender
enamel coated dutch oven

I could get by with those three things[/quote]

I didn’t see your post, else I’d just say X2

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:

[quote]atg410 wrote:
good chef’s knife
high powered bar blender
enamel coated dutch oven

I could get by with those three things[/quote]

I didn’t see your post, else I’d just say X2[/quote]

Right on. I went with the enamel crock over the cast iron skillet since it’s generally less fussy about clean up and if it’s large enough can double as a stock pot.

I’m in school right now and am doing all of my cooking with a 8" chef’s knife, an old but reliable blender, an 11" steel braising pan and a 6" non stick skillet. Normally I would have a big dutch oven as well, but I forgot it at home. I eat well, it doesn’t take much in terms of hardware.

THIS IS SO IMPORTANT. A sharp knife makes a huge difference!