What's Going on with this Article?

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/size_strength.htm

Seems like the author’s making a lot excuses as to why he can’t get really strong.

I’m surprised at Elite for publishing this.

The guy was already pretty strong at 200 pounds (contrary to what the internet says, a 400 bench is not weak), and I’m quite certain he is stronger than that now, I guess he’ll probably reveal that in the second article.

Anyway, the article is about his theory of potential strength versus mass level. I find that to make sense.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/size_strength.htm

Seems like the author’s making a lot excuses as to why he can’t get really strong.

I’m surprised at Elite for publishing this.[/quote]

It seemed like he was talking about when he was younger, and has progressed beyond that.

aka Professor C

ahhhh…never mind

so do you guys feel that the relationship that he speaks of is incorrect ?

i actually think he has some really good points

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
so do you guys feel that the relationship that he speaks of is incorrect ?[/quote]

It’s hard to argue against I think because he says that you have to add muscle once you reach your genetic strength limit at a given point. It would be difficult to prove when someone has reached that limit or at what point they will.

I agree with Hanley though. It did seem winy. I’m hoping he makes up for it in the next parts of the series.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
I’m surprised at Elite for publishing this.[/quote]

Elite’s in a tough position publishing everyweek. There just arent that many hardcore articles submitted.

It seemed he answered his own question easily, why he plateaued in strength at 207 lbs or whatever it was. He wasn’t eating enough to gain more weight, which he needed to do to get stronger. Duh. Why he seems to think one can only gain weight on bodybuilding exercises escapes me.

[quote]gi2eg wrote:
i actually think he has some really good points[/quote]

agreed, i saw a skinny ass kid doing 6 singles on the bench trying to get to 225 and tapped out at 205 (hardly had it), he was over 6 foot like the guy in the article and i agree he could use more mass,

although im heavy i never had much muscle mass, and when i started my high rep phase i packed on 10 pounds of decent muscle which ahs resulted in easier lifts on the heavy side. His points are valid

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
It seemed he answered his own question easily, why he plateaued in strength at 207 lbs or whatever it was. He wasn’t eating enough to gain more weight, which he needed to do to get stronger. Duh. Why he seems to think one can only gain weight on bodybuilding exercises escapes me. [/quote]

it didnt sound like bodbuilding exercises it sounded like bodybuilding workout style, drop sets, higher reps, everything he listed rather than 2-5 minutes of rest in btw heavy bench sets… plus i think he didnt want to gain fat which is what alot of ppl do while “bulking”

[quote]bignate wrote:
gi2eg wrote:
i actually think he has some really good points

agreed, i saw a skinny ass kid doing 6 singles on the bench trying to get to 225 and tapped out at 205 (hardly had it), he was over 6 foot like the guy in the article and i agree he could use more mass,

although im heavy i never had much muscle mass, and when i started my high rep phase i packed on 10 pounds of decent muscle which ahs resulted in easier lifts on the heavy side. His points are valid

[/quote]

I’m noticing the same thing, I’ve been addign a lot oh hypertrophy work recently, and I feel stronger, and I’m fairly sure I’m bigger.

I liked the article and am looking forward to the next one.

The article was a long-hand way of saying, the more muscle mass you add via bodybuilding routines, the stronger you can get using powerlifting routines.

IMHO.

[quote]skidmark wrote:
The article was a long-hand way of saying, the more muscle mass you add via bodybuilding routines, the stronger you can get using powerlifting routines.

IMHO.[/quote]

Yep.

This idea has been touched upon in articles before I believe. Didn’t CT (maybe CW) say flat out you can either 1. become more neurally efficient or 2. get bigger muscles to become stronger? Either way its the same idea of PL training vs. BB training.

He didn’t grow because he didn’t eat. I hope he mentions that in part 2.