What's Broscience?

And is it a legitimate argument when used against someone?

Yeah bro. Come’ on bro, think about it.

From the Urban Dictionary:

Broscience is the predominant brand of reasoning in bodybuilding circles where the anecdotal reports of jacked dudes are considered more credible than scientific research.

Broscience in action:

“Bro, you gotta slam 40-60 grams of waxy maize plus 20 grams of BCAA within 7 seconds of finishing your last set of squat rack curls. Otherwise, you’ll go straight catabolic.”

As to whether it’s a legitimate argument… I guess that depends on how big the guy is doing the talking.

Broscience is what it sounds like: science by frat fucks. They’re the guys that believe you need 18 types of dumbbell curls to make your arms grow and that squats are unnecessary, because you don’t need to train your legs to get big arms. Generally broscientists are deeply concerned about which supplements will give them the biggest pump, and yet don’t eat enough or train hard enough to make any real gains.

[quote]Xab wrote:
Broscience is what it sounds like: science by frat fucks. They’re the guys that believe you need 18 types of dumbbell curls to make your arms grow and that squats are unnecessary, because you don’t need to train your legs to get big arms. Generally broscientists are deeply concerned about which supplements will give them the biggest pump, and yet don’t eat enough or train hard enough to make any real gains. [/quote]

Bro, if thats you in your avatar your looking fckin swole bro.

So who are the people that are all studies and say stuff like “there are no studies to show the body needs more than .8 grams of protein per kg of body weight to gain muscle, dude all that protein will harm your kidneys, there’s no point in bulking ,etc…” and generally avoid common sense or anything said by the guys who are actually got big?

[quote]elusive wrote:
Xab wrote:
Broscience is what it sounds like: science by frat fucks. They’re the guys that believe you need 18 types of dumbbell curls to make your arms grow and that squats are unnecessary, because you don’t need to train your legs to get big arms. Generally broscientists are deeply concerned about which supplements will give them the biggest pump, and yet don’t eat enough or train hard enough to make any real gains.

Bro, if thats you in your avatar your looking fckin swole bro.[/quote]

Thanks. I can barely lift my right arm 'cause I did so many. I don’t know if you heard me counting. I did over a thousand.

I have little time to get to the gym, so I have to sculpt my guns at the office.

please stop referring to your arms as ‘guns’.

like someone said earlier, i would say it depends on how humongo the dude was

Broscience of the Day (BOTD or should it be BOD):

Bro: When doing curls figure out your 5rm, and hit that shit for 10-12 times for five sets.
Me: How can you get 10-12 reps out using 5rm?
Bro: Swing that shit, oh do at least 10 different movements.

[quote]Otep wrote:

Broscience is the predominant brand of reasoning in bodybuilding circles where the anecdotal reports of jacked dudes are considered more credible than scientific research.

Broscience in action:

“Bro, you gotta slam 40-60 grams of waxy maize plus 20 grams of BCAA within 7 seconds of finishing your last set of squat rack curls. Otherwise, you’ll go straight catabolic.”

As to whether it’s a legitimate argument… I guess that depends on how big the guy is doing the talking.[/quote]

X2 it’s legitimizing an argument my manipulating, warping, or otherwise ignoring the actual science behind it.

Folks that spout off broscience usually only know enough to not know that the don’t know anything.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Otep wrote:

Broscience in action:

As to whether it’s a legitimate argument… I guess that depends on how big the guy is doing the talking.

X2 it’s legitimizing an argument my manipulating, warping, or otherwise ignoring the actual science behind it.

Folks that spout off broscience usually only know enough to not know that the don’t know anything.
[/quote]

bro thats a big hand in your avatar bro. you do wrist curls bro?

[quote]JoabSonOfZeruiah wrote:
So who are the people that are all studies and say stuff like “there are no studies to show the body needs more than .8 grams of protein per kg of body weight to gain muscle, dude all that protein will harm your kidneys, there’s no point in bulking ,etc…” and generally avoid common sense or anything said by the guys who are actually got big?[/quote]

The people you are referring to are called small, weak and constant underachievers.

Broscience is teh extreme wing of people that are listening to big fuckers and ignoring science/studies, as defined by the science community. Dependent on which board you hear it, every member of this site is a bro, because we post here.

The other extreme is ignoring big fuckers and calling ANYONE that made progress a gear monkey, because you have peer reviewed research to justify why you are small. Insert the Butt Ceiling lovers.

Look, some people need to just shut the fuck up about what ANYONE else is doing, and concentrate on themselves and their own lack of progress. I made more progress un-learning a lot if the science shit i had been reading and listening to big people talk about what they did to get big. But I was wrapped up in it when I first started. Honestly I believe what big people tell me, I look to people that have achieved what I want to achieve. I do it in my career and I do it with my training goals.

Some people are smart enough to read a study AND listen to big dudes, figure out what works for their body, and apply shit and succeed. Other people should put down the pubmed and science today, stop reading and actually try looking like they lift before opening their mouth. Other people need to read a book or article because they are spinning their wheels.

No one should follow either path blindly. But I will say, that the “Bro’s” tend to be bigger, stronger and all around nicer people. The pure science community tends to be the small dude that gives me dirty looks in the mirror.

The Bro’s tend to not give a fuck and just smash weights and get big. I know people that put most of this board to shame, never heard of Starting Strength, nor can they read an abstract, nor do they give a fuck to. They didn’t need a lab coat to tell them if they bench 405 with their pecs their chest would get big.

BUT my definition of a bro is NOT a frat boy that only curls and benches. Those are just dumbasses. So don’t confuse mine and other poster’s definitions.

[quote]Otep wrote:

[/quote]

Call me whatever you want, but sometimes the bold text above, is true. Not every time, but sometimes you would be better off listening to someone who has done it, rather than a lab coat.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
Otep wrote:

Call me whatever you want, but sometimes the bold text above, is true. Not every time, but sometimes you would be better off listening to someone who has done it, rather than a lab coat.

[/quote]

I would have to agree with you.

[quote]JoabSonOfZeruiah wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
Otep wrote:

I would have to agree with you.[/quote]

bro you’re fuckin pwning that lion bro. off the hook!

lol I tore that lion in half bro.

[quote]elusive wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:
Otep wrote:

Broscience in action:

bro thats a big hand in your avatar bro. you do wrist curls bro?[/quote]

Ya bro, I do 3 sets of 10 wrist curls every morning, that’s the key to jacked hands.

Speaking of avatars, I’ve always thought yours was cool as hell. Or rather…

Nice avatar there, brah.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
elusive wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:
Otep wrote:

Broscience in action:

bro thats a big hand in your avatar bro. you do wrist curls bro?

Ya bro, I do 3 sets of 10 wrist curls every morning, that’s the key to jacked hands.

Speaking of avatars, I’ve always thought yours was cool as hell. Or rather…

Nice avatar there, brah.[/quote]

Thanks bro.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

Bro: When doing curls figure out your 5rm, and hit that shit for 10-12 times for five sets.
Bro: Swing that shit, oh do at least 10 different movements.[/quote]

Dude?

Swing that shit!

Cereally.

[quote]orion wrote:
Brother Chris wrote:

Bro: Swing that shit, oh do at least 10 different movements.

Dude?

Swing that shit!

Cereally.[/quote]

Yeah bro. G0tta feel tha pump bro.