T Nation

What's Best for Increasing Testosterone?

I was just curious what everyone thinks. What’s the best type of routine for increasing testosterone levels. I know diet,maybe some supplements, lifestyle, hours of sleep, stress levels and genetics all play a role (maybe even greater than lifting) but I just like the idea of jacking up my T-levels as high as possible naturally.

There’s so much out there regarding what’s best for size and strength, but I haven’t seen much about what’s best for T-levels. From what I’ve read you should perform mostly compound lifts, but what routine is best: total body(TBT), upper/lower splits, 3-4 day splits. Anyone have an opinion?

poon tang

thanks, but besides that.

[quote]pepperman wrote:
I know diet,maybe some supplements, lifestyle, hours of sleep, stress levels and genetics all play a role (maybe even greater than lifting) [/quote]

indeed, and youve answered your own question - training strenuously but not too long (e.g. compound lifts) will temporarily raise both test and gh. Google around for studies on exercise and testosterone.

Overdo it and the cortisol, which is also raised by exercise, will start to undo the benefits.

the rise in T isnt a permament upping of levels though, as far as ive read.

as far as eating goes, make sure you have adaquate vits/mins and cholesterol (eat some eggs), it wont make more T but allows your body to make as much as it would do, you dont want to curtail the potential.

Isn’t this probably the 4th thread on the subject?

[quote]pepperman wrote:
I was just curious what everyone thinks. What’s the best type of routine for increasing testosterone levels. I know diet,maybe some supplements, lifestyle, hours of sleep, stress levels and genetics all play a role (maybe even greater than lifting) but I just like the idea of jacking up my T-levels as high as possible naturally.

There’s so much out there regarding what’s best for size and strength, but I haven’t seen much about what’s best for T-levels. From what I’ve read you should perform mostly compound lifts, but what routine is best: total body(TBT), upper/lower splits, 3-4 day splits. Anyone have an opinion?[/quote]

Try any supplement you believe on, the placebo effect will do his job. The caffeine included will make you feel like superman, allowing you to lift like an Animal. Grow will come.

GET THIS! There is NO routine that will bring your testosterone levels up significantly, regardless of the fact that people keep going on and on about how low rep lifting with long rest periods increases T and that higher volume with less rest increases GH. The amount is nil! You could also have an increase in GH from starving or hitting your head on the wall, again, to no significant degree.

If there was really a routine/diet/supplement that could lead to a meaningful increase in testosterone relative to bodybuilding the T-Nation steroid forum wouldn’t exist.

isnt zinc the best aromatase inhibitor in its class? make sure you get a sufficient amount of that :slight_smile:

and as others said keep your workouts short and compound and get plenty of rest

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
Isn’t this probably the 4th thread on the subject? [/quote]

Before posting this initial thread, I did an advanced swearch on this topic. I came up with tons of articles on diet/supplement based ways of increasing T-levels but my question involves what traing program is best for increaing testosterone.

The only article I found was by CW who states three days/week with compound/olympic lifts. While I respect CW, I just wanted some other opinions.

[quote]pepperman wrote:
Growing_Boy wrote:

Before posting this initial thread, I did an advanced swearch on this topic. I came up with tons of articles on diet/supplement based ways of increasing T-levels but my question involves what traing program is best for increaing testosterone.

The only article I found was by CW who states three days/week with compound/olympic lifts. While I respect CW, I just wanted some other opinions. [/quote]

Which frankly, is smart. Because CW always recommends 3x a week full body, compound lifts no matter what the situation is it seems.

The best option though really, is to find a program that works for you and that you enjoy. Pick something you will really stick to and hit it with intensity, every time.

[quote]pepperman wrote:
Growing_Boy wrote:

The only article I found was by CW who states three days/week with compound/olympic lifts. While I respect CW, I just wanted some other opinions. [/quote]

I totally respect that you want other’s opinions. Its just that after years of education and observation, I find it, well…a little silly for authors to constantly write that certain routines and dietary practices are going to SIGNIFICANTLY increase T levels.

It is NOT significant. The male testicles produce 7 to 10 mg of T per day. What is a diet or training routine going to do to enhance this? If someone could give me a good, logical answer, I’d listen. Do you know how much T (drug form) one has to use to even see effects.

Most users I know had to use a minimum of 250 mg per week, minimum, to see significant results. Thats 250 mg compared to a normal healthy male’s level of 50 to 70 mg/week.

Obviously, for normal functioning one should have the diet at 15 to 30% fat. I see 10% or lower as likely to cause problems with skin, hair, nails, and so on, not just with T, essential fatty acid deficiency.

Since I have been hypogonadal for the past 7 years, I have both an endocrinologist and an andrologist (urologist with fellowship in andrology). These people deal with T issues EVERYDAY and both have stated that programs or diets will not significantly increase T.

I think Tribulus Terrestris helps a little bit, but other than alot of heavy leg presses, squats and deadlifts, I don’t know.

I don’t see why to worry about your t levels. Feeling big nutted is much better than actually being. I am skiny but I feel my balls very well placed when deadlifting, and I ignore my t levels all the time.

By the way, tribulus will not hurt.

:wink:

[quote]juanjromero wrote:
Feeling big nutted is much better than actually being. I am skiny but I feel my balls very well placed when deadlifting,

[/quote]

Sorry that was just too funny

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:
juanjromero wrote:
Feeling big nutted is much better than actually being. I am skiny but I feel my balls very well placed when deadlifting,

[/quote]

It was intended so. glad you laugh at.

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:
juanjromero wrote:

;

[/quote]

btw, you are really huge, you know something. your body is reference enough to say: “OP, pay attention to this guy”. I have not seen his t-levels, but surely he dl and squat like nuts.

QFT.

[quote]conorh wrote:
poon tang[/quote]

to the OP, how old are you?

No one thing will increase T-levels. A combination of things will. But even then, it’s not major amounts; you need to make sure the balance of catabolic hormones and anabolic hormones is right. Hormone balance is more important than how high your T levels are.

Major effort and volume increases T-levels, but this is outdone if catabolic hormones rise too much.

Short, intense, frequent.

Just remember these three.

Full body compound lifts are just as good as upper/lower splits (good balance of anabolic hormones). Body part splits don’t do much to the system as a whole appart from on a muscle cell level.