T Nation

What's a Muscle Belly?

No i’m not talking about abs. I always hear people commenting on so and so having full muscle bellies… but I never hear anyone say someone has bad muscle bellies. Could someone please explain? Could someone name a few examples of people with good/bad muscle bellies? That way I can rate my muscle bellies…

my god.

Technically, belly, a slang term for stomach, is itself a muscle. It can contract and expand, usually based on the volume of food ingested. Those whose stomach work properly have good muscle bellies, those who have indigestion have bad muscle bellies. Now whether or not its full is individual. Currently, my belly is full, as I just finished a meal. About an hour or so from now, though, my belly will revert to not being full.

A muscle belly is, simply, the fleshy part of a muscle, and refers to the length of the muscle in question.

Probably the easiest muscle for an example is the biceps - someone whose biceps insertion is lower (closer to the elbow) will have a greater muscle belly, and his biceps will have a greater ability to grow (and give the arm a “fuller” look) than someone whose biceps attach higher (though they will have a harder time getting a high “peak”).

A rule of thumb I read somewhere (maybe this site) is that if you can stick two or more fingers between your biceps and your elbow, you have a poor insertion point for that muscle (in regards to bodybuilding).

Of course, I could be completely wrong, here - to be perfectly honest, it isn’t something I’ve ever really thought too much about. Add 50-60 lbs of muscle to anyone and they will look pretty damn impressive no matter how bad their muscle bellies may be.

In my opinion, it isn’t something to waste time thinking about. The majority of people who whine over it do so to justify a lack of progress and growth. You can’t change it, anyhow.

[quote]supabeast wrote:
To me a muscle belly is the belly you see on a guy who is otherwise a walking slab of low-fat beefcake. It’s a side-effect of HGH.[/quote]

.?

[quote]bmitch wrote:
supabeast wrote:
To me a muscle belly is the belly you see on a guy who is otherwise a walking slab of low-fat beefcake. It’s a side-effect of HGH.

.?[/quote]

Honestly, I think it would be best if we didn’t encourage him to walk us through his thought process for that one.

[quote]anonym wrote:

In my opinion, it isn’t something to waste time thinking about. The majority of people who whine over it do so to justify a lack of progress and growth. You can’t change it, anyhow.[/quote]

The rest of the post was correct as well, but this is the most important part to me.

[quote]GetSwole wrote:
Technically, belly, a slang term for stomach, is itself a muscle. It can contract and expand, usually based on the volume of food ingested. Those whose stomach work properly have good muscle bellies, those who have indigestion have bad muscle bellies. Now whether or not its full is individual. Currently, my belly is full, as I just finished a meal. About an hour or so from now, though, my belly will revert to not being full.

[/quote]

lol!!

[quote]Joe Joseph wrote:
GetSwole wrote:

lol!![/quote]

That got a golf clap out of me.

Well done, Swole.

Ok well i dont want to start another thread, and this one is pretty wasted to start with, so might aswell ask here. What EXACTLY are straitions? I know what they look like, but i never understood what they are.

And anonym, when u said the 2+ fingers thing, do u mean the arm flexed at 90 degrees or FULL flexed?

[quote]ahzaz wrote:
And anonym, when u said the 2+ fingers thing, do u mean the arm flexed at 90 degrees or FULL flexed?[/quote]

I would think 90 degrees.

This is where I read it.
http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=542277

Well I have about 4 fingers width between my biceps and forearm… But I do have some nice “peakage”.

[quote]anonym wrote:
bmitch wrote:
supabeast wrote:
To me a muscle belly is the belly you see on a guy who is otherwise a walking slab of low-fat beefcake. It’s a side-effect of HGH.

.?

Honestly, I think it would be best if we didn’t encourage him to walk us through his thought process for that one.[/quote]

It was a joke, but seriously, some guys do develop distended abdomens as a result of using HGH.

so when i forcefully burp thats the stomach muscles?

cool