Whats a Good Deadlift for My Weight?

I’m cutting weight for a physique show. I’m 5’8 and currently 175lbs. I just pulled a 405 dead lift today. Curious if that is a good number for my weight and considering I’m cutting weight. my bench is a 300lbs and my squat is hovering around 315ish…

No …

Here is a good answer to your question from another forum poster’s blog: Mythical Strength: IS THIS GOOD?

If your not competing in a weight class for powerlifting I think 2.5x BW deadlift is pretty good. ill be happy when I get 3x BW

A 405lb DL is pretty easily achieved by almost any male who trains consistently for a couple years, imo.

[quote]ape288 wrote:
A 405lb DL is pretty easily achieved by almost any male who trains consistently for a couple years, imo.[/quote]

Agreed, though I would also say that relatively few males can DL 405 without ever having lifted weights. I suppose to that end it is a decent benchmark: It is a weight that most men have to put in at least some work to be able to achieve, and thus something they can be proud of if they did invest work to get it.

[quote]ape288 wrote:
A 405lb DL is pretty easily achieved by almost any male who trains consistently for a couple years, imo.[/quote]
It’s truly amazing the number of things a human being can do if willing to spend a couple years consistently getting there. But the number of people who actually do it is pretty small.

You might find this useful, a 405 deadlift at your weight is a class III lift.

[quote]Silyak wrote:

[quote]ape288 wrote:
It’s truly amazing the number of things a human being can do if willing to spend a couple years consistently getting there. But the number of people who actually do it is pretty small. [/quote]

I agree. I’m a firm believer that we should all attempt to become masters of some craft. The culmination of your life’s work and all that.

What’s your longterm goal? That should be what determines if it’s a good number. If you just wanted to pull 8 plates then congrats man, but if you want to see 10 on there then you’re only getting a low ‘B’…make sense?

With that being said, nice work on the PR you can’t pull 405 on accident so you must be training hard.

[quote]ksrcrider wrote:
I’m cutting weight for a physique show. I’m 5’8 and currently 175lbs. I just pulled a 405 dead lift today. Curious if that is a good number for my weight and considering I’m cutting weight. my bench is a 300lbs and my squat is hovering around 315ish…[/quote]

Anything over 2xBW is decent. 3xBW and over is excellent, not elite but still excellent. So why not aim for that 3xBW? And if you’re doing physique comps why do you even care?

Just curious is all. Iv been lifting now for 17 months consistently. I used to be 250lbs of fatness. Decided to change my life around and lose weight and get into shape.

To people that say 4plates is something people achieve easily, they are deluded. Go to any gym to see for yourself to know that’s a pretty note worthy accomplishment.

However for your height and weight, it isn’t anything special. 5plates is a decent lift.

3x Bodyweight is a good Deadlift

ok, thanks. Im at about 2.3x my weight so, I got a ways to go. Maybe another year of lifting ill get close to that 3x mark.

2.5x bodyweight is pretty decent. 3x is good.

For most sports, anything beyond 2.5x probably isn’t as useful as using that energy for other things required for the sport.

[quote]sexyxe wrote:
To people that say 4plates is something people achieve easily, they are deluded. Go to any gym to see for yourself to know that’s a pretty note worthy accomplishment.

However for your height and weight, it isn’t anything special. 5plates is a decent lift. [/quote]

That’s not really a good argument against what I said. Hardly any of those gym members are training consistently, properly, or with any purpose. Thus, they make the achievement of a 4 plate DL seem difficult. However, if you took that same group of guys and had them do exactly what I told them to do for a year or 2, I would wager that the majority of them would be able to DL 405 lbs. So, yes, to me, that makes the accomplishment “readily achievable.” You just have to do a few things right for a little while, but they would almost all be capable of it in relatively short order.

Now that you hit 405 you shouldn’t be satisfied with that don’t set limits on yourself.

The best deadlift for your bodyweight is the one you pull…then beat it, over and over and over.

[quote]ape288 wrote:

I used to think that, then read about Don Blue who pulled 500 first time he tried, (weighed around 145), so there are average Joes and athletes, depends which gorup you want to be in

King of Average Joes, or a schmuck athlete

big frog little pool, or small frog big pool, (lesson for life right there)