What's a Good Clean?

personally i like hang snatches and its helped my power clean alot :slight_smile: my power clean went from 205-225 without training it for 2 months haha

BW Snatch is a pretty competitive number to start with.

Not trying to be a smart ass but I think thatā€™s a useless exercise unless youā€™re in that sport.If you look at these strength charts out there, they have most of the major muscles covered by powerlifts but some add olys,which let people down due to technique issues. They donā€™t strictly introduce any new muscles,itā€™s just a lottery about what gets hit and how much,depending on form. Might get laid down for days due to trap DOMS with nothing else to show for efforts.

End of rant.

[quote]Alffi wrote:
Not trying to be a smart ass but I think thatā€™s a useless exercise unless youā€™re in that sport.If you look at these strength charts out there, they have most of the major muscles covered by powerlifts but some add olys,which let people down due to technique issues. They donā€™t strictly introduce any new muscles,itā€™s just a lottery about what gets hit and how much,depending on form. Might get laid down for days due to trap DOMS with nothing else to show for efforts.

End of rant.

[/quote]

Youā€™re an idiot. Didnā€™t you claim a 180 kg clean?

[quote]Alffi wrote:
Not trying to be a smart ass but I think thatā€™s a useless exercise unless youā€™re in that sport.[/quote]

You should do a little more research on weightlifting and athletic performance before making such ridiculous statements.

It works the hips/lower back.

315 lbs is a good clean.

I had lower standards, and then I read about HeavyThrower powercleaning 315 in his high school days. All of a sudden, my goals got bumped.

wowā€¦what a beastā€¦time we all step up our game

wait am I missin somethin whats the difference between full sntach and power snatch? I remember a guy that was power cleaning 315 back in high school he plays in the NFL now haha. I got up to 305 then blew the sh#t outa my knee, oh well.

power variations are usually when the lifts are caught in an above parallel squat possition

full lifts are the classic lifts caught in a low squat

split variations are when the lifts are caught in a lunge position

hang variations can be caught in any of the above methods, but refer specifically to starting position, being from a hang, rather than the weight on the floor

rack or ā€œblockā€ variations- just like hang but from a rack (could be various heights other than the floor)

[quote]dfreezy wrote:
Alffi wrote:
Not trying to be a smart ass but I think thatā€™s a useless exercise unless youā€™re in that sport.

You should do a little more research on weightlifting and athletic performance before making such ridiculous statements.[/quote]
Not all coaches are pro.

someone who can legimately powerclean with a high catch 1.5x bodyweight, with smooth and snappy form, using mostly the legs and hips to drive the weight up will have the potential to vertical jump 40 inches.

The bar has to go over your sternum, and be caught on the shoulders.
Not these powercleans where the bar comes up to belly button height, and the guy splits his legs ultra wide and catches the bar on his chestā€¦

so 1.5xBW powerclean done like the above is a good powerclean :slight_smile:

Seems to be a fair few people claming 1.5xBW powercleans out there. Off course there arenā€™t too many people with a legit head height measured 40 inch Vertical Jump, soā€¦

the few people I know with a powerclean in the 1.7 to 1.8xBW range, all have legit vertical jumps well over 40 inches

[quote]CoolColJ wrote:
someone who can legimately powerclean with a high catch 1.5x bodyweight, with smooth and snappy form, using mostly the legs and hips to drive the weight up will have the potential to vertical jump 40 inches.

The bar has to go over your sternum, and be caught on the shoulders.
Not these powercleans where the bar comes up to belly button height, and the guy splits his legs ultra wide and catches the bar on his chestā€¦

so 1.5xBW powerclean done like the above is a good powerclean :slight_smile:

Seems to be a fair few people claming 1.5xBW powercleans out there. Off course there arenā€™t too many people with a legit head height measured 40 inch Vertical Jump, soā€¦

the few people I know with a powerclean in the 1.7 to 1.8xBW range, all have legit vertical jumps well over 40 inches[/quote]

You can count me as one 1.5xBW powercleaner who canā€™t jump for shitā€¦

i do the power clean and the full clean for the power clean ive been working on not pushing my legs out far so that i dont blow a knee so mostly its hip drive with the arms pulling up as i go, also the hang snatch has helped greatly for shot put :slight_smile:

A few years ago I got a 130kg power clean at 85 kg body weight. At the time my vertical jump was only 30 inches.

[quote]Alffi wrote:
Not all coaches are pro.[/quote]

What does that have to do with anything?

I would say for individuals who do not compete, anything approaching 1.5 body weight is really good. For competing athletes, 1.8 body weight is good. This is full clean not power clean.

okay thats what I thought the difference was between power and full. About how wide do you guys keep your feet on the catch? Im able to snatch 200 and clean and jerk about 230 @ 190lbs bw, but I have to catch it in a wide stance. Any advice on getting used to catching the weight in a more normal stance?

[quote]Kliplemet wrote:
conorh wrote:
Iā€™ve seen my training partner triple 295 at a bodyweight of 175 in the powerclean from the hang. Fucker.

HOLY SHIT! Is he short?[/quote]

I think heā€™s about 5ā€™8". He used to be a nationally ranked long jumper or triple jumper or something and heā€™s probably the most explosive athlete Iā€™ve ever been around. Heā€™s got a big deadlift, an OK squat and canā€™t bench shit though.

[quote]sig805 wrote:
okay thats what I thought the difference was between power and full. About how wide do you guys keep your feet on the catch? Im able to snatch 200 and clean and jerk about 230 @ 190lbs bw, but I have to catch it in a wide stance. Any advice on getting used to catching the weight in a more normal stance?[/quote]

Technically your foot position should be the same, the only difference is how low you get to catch the weight. One thing to remember is that you can still dip down to catch the weight as long as you stay above parallel to keep it a ā€˜powerā€™ version. Usually splitting wider is an attempt to get your body lower with minimal leg bending- so just focus on doing a squat clean/snatch, but stop above parallel during the catch. Approach the squat and power versions the same from the starting pull so you can keep factors like foot positioning the same.

[quote]elih8er wrote:
Alffi wrote:
Not trying to be a smart ass but I think thatā€™s a useless exercise unless youā€™re in that sport. If you look at these strength charts out there, they have most of the major muscles covered by powerlifts but some add olys,which let people down due to technique issues.

They donā€™t strictly introduce any new muscles,itā€™s just a lottery about what gets hit and how much,depending on form. Might get laid down for days due to trap DOMS with nothing else to show for efforts.

End of rant.

[/quote]

What a horrible thought process you have. And, that chart is ridiculous if you knew anything about Olympic lifting the numbers claiming to be ā€œEliteā€ are far from that.

Maybe if you powerlift, and bodybuild its not ideal (pertaining to the clean). Coming from an Olympic Lifting background an a pretty good division one thrower (shot put, discus etc.) the snatch and clean have a great turnover in athletics.

Itā€™s also a great ex. if dieting because it incorporates a large amount of muscle groups. It also is a great indicator of someone?s strength. Whenever a sloppy football player in high school would ask me how much I benched i would ask them how much they cleaned. Shut them up pretty quick.

[quote]sig805 wrote:
okay thats what I thought the difference was between power and full. About how wide do you guys keep your feet on the catch? Im able to snatch 200 and clean and jerk about 230 @ 190lbs bw, but I have to catch it in a wide stance. Any advice on getting used to catching the weight in a more normal stance?[/quote]

Well not to toot my own horn but I set my collegesā€™ school record with a clean of 365lbs at 220-225ish ;). This so happened to be after a 6 week strength block from sept. to late oct in 06ā€™.

The reason i bring this up is that during the summer my max may have been 265-275 (July) because i took alot of time off and was injured. Yes, I was undertrained but, my previous efforts had been 335 at 250lbs bw (about a year before).

That summer I did 0 cleans. I did heavy deadlifts, heavy shrugs, heavy squats, and heavy hamstring work July till sept. In September I did 350lbs for my first test (first time i had cleaned in maybe 5 months). I did have a great background in OL lifting and muscle memory going for me but, nonetheless i was proud (hence some of my bragging haha).

Anyway to answer the question about your stance it is your hips and/or your ankle flexibility. THe reason it is wide is b/c you probably have some tight hip flexors. Work on getting your hips more flexible and you should be able to get lower with a narrower stance.

To the OP a competitive and good snatch for your body weight would be your bodyweight plus 20kg IMO, that will place you at most Olympic weightlifting meets.