What Would You Suggest for Insomnia?

“My son was the first person in history to overdose on marijuana!”

2 Likes

What the heck does CBD oil do? Seriously asking? It intrigues me but it seems like it’s everywhere and touted to fix everything. I don’t like the actual high of smoking weed so would I get some kind of positive reaction from non/ or low level thc oil? What is it supposed to do?

Agreed it is very hyped right now. I have found much better results from CBD hemp flower (which is completely legal regardless of your state), which can be ground up and vaped* or smoked. I prefer the “entourage” effect of the entire spectrum of plant terpenes plus the CBD, which are relaxing and sleep-inducing. I didn’t get the same effect from the oil, and I also don’t like that the oil is refined, fractionated, and then terpenes are added back in to make it “full spectrum”.

Google: “Berkshire Farms CBD” and give some of the flower a try. Pretty cheap, all natural without the side effects of pharmaceuticals, and will help more than just your sleep. An eighth (3.5 grams) will last me at least a month.

*Note: vape pens, where you use cartridges full of oil, additives, etc… have caused health problems and I would not use one. Even one sold as “CDB vape oil”. I would refrain from these, even though they are the most convenient. Go for a whole flower vaporizes (like Pax 3 or other) that heats the flower below combustion yet releases the CBD and terpenes (and THC, if you’re vaping cannabis flower).

Hey I appreciate the response! I’m not leaning towards smoking anything to be honest (or vaping). And def no THC, work drug policy, honestly don’t enjoy being high. As a kid yeah as an adult a few beers is all I am interested in these days.

1 Like

Soursop leaf. Boil it and make tea. CBD oil works too but it’s way more expensive.

I’ve had pretty poor luck with CBD. Not really a believer. I also think part of it is from buying “hemp” oil instead, which seems common on Amazon.

Appreciate all the suggestions guys.

FWIW It took me a while with CBD before it stared working well. At first, I felt really groggy all the next day. I almost had some very minor difficulty breathing when I took it (weird). But after taking it regularly, all that went away and I stared to sleep better and have noticeably more energy in the day. I take a quality brand too, it’s called Blue Bird.

Ran out of z12 and was at sprouts and found something similar called sleep science sleep renovation. It has 400mg GABA, 1 g Tryptophan, 200 mg l theanine, and 3 mg melatonin. Not sure if I will like the addition of melatonin. That was always makes me groggy but should help put me out.

Update. It helped me get to sleep and stay asleep but I’m fairly groggy this morning. Melatonin always does that to me. I woke up to piss once but fell right back to sleep which is pretty atypical. Nothing a couple cups of coffee won’t fix. Z12 still seems to be better at least to me.

I’ve had lots of problems with waking up in the middle of the night. The only thing that has consistently worked for me has been eating something kind of fatty with protein. Peanut butter or cheese are my favorites. I usually fall back to sleep within 15 minutes of eating.

I’ve found GABA to be helpful. I use lots of it, generally 750mgs to 2250mgs. It helps me sleep deeper, but it doesn’t stop me from waking up in the middle of the night.

I tried CBD oil and the first night it was amazing. I thought all my troubles were gone. It never worked again :joy:. Even upping the dose to something ridiculous

1 Like

It is the Phenibut in z12.

Right, isn’t that where most of these GABA supplements are getting that from?

I do not think so.

GABA does not pass the blood brain barrier Phenibut does. It should not be taken everyday.

1 Like

How is your temperature when you wake up? I need to be very slightly warm, but not warm to the extent that I notice it being warm. If I notice it being warm (not even hot) I have a very hard time falling asleep and staying asleep.

Hmm good point. My apartment has been really really warm (out of my control). I have the radiator valve in my room close.

Unfortunately I’m on a busy street, so opening the window trades heat for noise.

I’d consider getting one of those bed cooler things, but they’re EXPENSIVE.

I keep my house at 64f at night and use a fan. A fan would be a lot cheaper. The noise also is calming.

Agree on both counts, though I go even cooler than that because I like heavy blankets.

I don’t need a fan now because I live in the absolute nowhere, but when there was traffic I was reliant on it. During the winter I’d face it away, but still turn it on.

1 Like

Why shouldn’t you take Z-12 every day? I haven’t tried it yet, but I do take ZMA every night.

I used to have issues with sleeping a lot, was prescribed low-dose benzodiazepines for other things, but used them at night to remedy the problem.

I eventually stopped taking them after a few years as docs stopped giving them and finding an online provider became too much of a hassle. I was also a new dad.

Don’t know the exact solution, but working out at 5:30am 4 days a week, along with my desk job (10 hrs/day) plus 3 hours each day commuting left me pretty tired most nights. As I got older (into my 30s), my body became much more sensitive to melatonin, as in it would ensure I got quality sleep once I fell asleep, not necessarily making it easier for me to go to sleep (in my 20s melatonin did absolutely nothing).

I would also take ZMA if I felt I wasn’t getting enough Zn and Mg, which helped keep me asleep too, though I only took it maybe once or twice per week.

If all else failed (ie, couldn’t shut off my mind from upcoming projects, was stressed about something, etc.) I’d reach for a benzo or z-drug. Though in doing so, I had accept that I wouldn’t be in any shape to workout the following morning. I’d need the extra sleep and would need about 3x as much coffee as normal to make sure I was not still tired by the time I got to work.

Good luck.

1 Like

The phenibut can cause dependence and withdrawal issues.