T Nation

What Would You Say?

I was so sick and tired of being sick and tired I had a full blood work up. A Comprehensive Metabolic Panel w/EGFR, CBC w/DIFF and PLT. Everything was in normal range.

I also had my hormones tested, but have no real clue what they mean as a big picture and wondered what people here thought so I can speak intelligently with my Doctor.

SHBG 11 range 10-50nmol/l
Progesterone <0.5 range <1.4ng/ml
LH 1.3L range 1.5-9.3miu/ml
Z-Score -0.5 range -2.0 - +2.0sd
Pregnenolone 13 range 13-208ng/dl
Total Testosterone 207L. 250-1100ng/dl
Free Testosterone 34.8L 35-155pg/ml
Total Cortisol 5.9 at 11am
DHT 10L range 25-75ng/dl
Estradiol 20 < or = 29pg/ml

I left some numbers out that we’re in the normal range.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am clueless and new to this. Just received these numbers and am shocked and then again not.

BTW I’m a 42 yr old white male. 6’ tall and 216 pounds.

Thanks in advance.

[quote]MDrummond wrote:
I was so sick and tired of being sick and tired I had a full blood work up. A Comprehensive Metabolic Panel w/EGFR, CBC w/DIFF and PLT. Everything was in normal range.

I also had my hormones tested, but have no real clue what they mean as a big picture and wondered what people here thought so I can speak intelligently with my Doctor.

SHBG 11 range 10-50nmol/l
Progesterone <0.5 range <1.4ng/ml
LH 1.3L range 1.5-9.3miu/ml
Z-Score -0.5 range -2.0 - +2.0sd
Pregnenolone 13 range 13-208ng/dl
Total Testosterone 207L. 250-1100ng/dl
Free Testosterone 34.8L 35-155pg/ml
Total Cortisol 5.9 at 11am
DHT 10L range 25-75ng/dl
Estradiol 20 < or = 29pg/ml

I left some numbers out that we’re in the normal range.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am clueless and new to this. Just received these numbers and am shocked and then again not.

BTW I’m a 42 yr old white male. 6’ tall and 216 pounds.

Thanks in advance. [/quote]

SHBG and E2 look good. The cortisol would have been better at 8am to get any ranges?

Anyway it sure looks like you are low in testosterone and free testosterone. Considering your LH is very low you could see some improvement if you woke it up again and got it back online. Even if you are able to increase your LH maybe your boys are not up to it. You would have to trial it out.

DHT is low, maybe causing low libido for you maybe?

Preg low also.

You could try a serm restart to see if things come back online. Even if they do not it will at least give you a clear idea what your options are.

But most definitely you will want your testosterone levels higher.

Thyroid panel?
Cholesterol numbers?

What are your biggest symptoms at the moment?

Any medication history, drugs…??

Did you leave out TSH, T3, or T4 numbers? Those corresond to thyroid and the ranges for them are awful, so even people with issues usually end up “in range”.

Your LH is low and this appears to be causing you to have low Test. You need to figure out why it is low.

Any blows to the head? Prior history of AAS use? Recent long term illnesses? Medications?

In response:
TSH 1.53 range 0.4-4.5miu/l
T4 free 1.1 range 0.8-1.8ng/dl
T3 free 2.9 range 2.3-4.2pg/ml
DHEA sulfate 285 range 45-345ug/dl
Prolactin 5.5 range 2-18ng/ml
Thyroglobulin antibodies <20 range <20iu/ml
Thyroid Peroxidase AB <10 range <35iu/ml
TBII <6 range <=16%
IGF-1 111 range 52-328ng/ml
Aldosterone 16 range not given
T3 reverse 21 range 11-32ng/ml
Cortisol free at 11am 0.12 range ?
ACTH Plasma 9 range 6-50pg/ml
PSA Free 0.1 range ?
PSA Total 0.8 range <4.1ng/ml

No MAJOR head injuries…I have been bumped around a few times but nothing significant comes to mind.
I don’t see Cholesterol listed unless its called something different.
No recent or long term medical issues.
Tried Sus 250 at 250cc a week for six weeks a couple years ago because of the same issues I have now. Low libido, partially erect, and non-lasting erections. Sustanol worked but then I could not get anymore.

Doctor is thinking of putting me on 5mg of Liothyronine a day and 1/2 of a cc of HCG 3 days a week to see what fires up. If the HCG does not do anything then will probably go on prescription Testopel.

The only other thing is I have had elevated liver enzymes in the past, probably from drinking, but I haven’t drank in a while because the elevation scared me.

Thanks again.

Yes most things look pretty decent. Your TSH is good, but your T3/T4 are slightly below optimal. That may be why your doctor wants to put you on the LIothyronine–Im not convinced that is your issue and would probably not go that route myself. You have Low T!

Your doc is on the right track with the HCG. I’m not sure how much 0.5 cc corresponds to, since it depends on the conentration of the HCG, but 250 iu 3x/week is adequate. For a challenge, you could even do as much as 750 iu 3x/week or so to see the response, without issue I would think . Talk to your doctor to see what th eexact amount you are taking is.

A SERM restart might also be an option. Very similar to HCG but different mechanisms of action.