What Would You Recommend?

What routine would you recommend a beginning who is looking to get bigger, leaner, and stronger?

I’ve been doing 5x5 for a month, getting my lifts up, still pretty damn low though.

B: 140 x 5
S: 200 x 5
DL: 200 x 5

My goal is like I said (bigger,leaner,stronger), I want to look good without a shirt on. Currently 5’9 164 lbs, probably around 15-16% bodyfat. I really want to not have fat on my chest and belly anymore.

don’t worry about your lifts being low, everyone starts somewhere.

I like 5/3/1 as a follow on from 5x5 stuff. You can use the “boring but big” accessory work template so you get a good blend of strength work and volume.

Check it out and see what you think, it’ll definitely get you bigger and stronger. The “leaner” part depends on your diet.

If this is the SL 5X5, it’s a 12 weeks run. Finish it off. Then, do another.

If its the classic 5x5, i don’t remember the program having a deload, just keep going for at least 6 months.

Consistency of a program is key.

[quote]JFG wrote:

If its the classic 5x5, i don’t remember the program having a deload, just keep going for at least 6 months.

[/quote]

It’s Ice Cream Fitness 5x5

I don’t know if you’ve heard of it or not, it’s just like any other 5x5 but with two-three accessory lifts added in.

I’m only about to finish my 3rd week on it and already have to deload for bench press :\

I missed that you said you’d only been doing it for a month.

Stick with it for another couple of months

[quote]Ampedlift wrote:

[quote]JFG wrote:

[/quote]

It’s Ice Cream Fitness 5x5

I don’t know if you’ve heard of it or not, it’s just like any other 5x5 but with two-three accessory lifts added in.

I’m only about to finish my 3rd week on it and already have to deload for bench press :\ [/quote]

because you picked the wrong starting weights… please go back and watch jasons video.

I still don’t get why there are so many duplicates of this exact same thread even though every time one is posted it gets the same responses.

Joe Defranco’s - West Side For Skinny Bastards is my favorite for beginners.

1. Un-fuck mobility, establish base strength/movement patterns (unweighed squats, push ups, a few pull ups, etc). Begin to establish quality eating habits (at least 3 round meals, emphasis on lean protein, carbs, fiber, and fruits/veggies, high water intake, minimal processed/fast food, etc): 2-3 weeks.

2. Starting Strength or similar 3x weekly linear periodization program with emphasis on recovery and movement quality, establish regimented eating and tracking intake if possible. 18 calories/lb, protein at 1-1.5g/lb bodyweight, rest from quality carbs and fats. Follow this until gains from linear progression have been exhausted. Should be 3-6 months. Good technique in the basic lifts and a a base of strength/muscle should be established by the end of this period.

3. Move to a reasonable periodized program such as 531, Juggernaut Method, etc. Increase work capacity and muscle mass further by beginning to incorporate more assistance exercises at times. Continue with ~18 calories/lb as mentioned earlier unless bodyfat accumulation becomes unsatisfactory. If you diet, do it wholeheartedly and get it over with and get back to things. This alone should get you well into year 2 or 3 of training.

4. Begin to cycle emphasis of training periods around the same basic framework used in phase 3. For example, higher volume mass gain blocks, heavier strength focused blocks, lower volume weight training blocks with increased amounts of conditioning work, etc. Focus on a specific goal for 4-8 weeks at a time while maintaining previous capabilities with as little effort as possible, and then move to the next goal.

[quote]Ampedlift wrote:
What routine would you recommend a beginning who is looking to get bigger, leaner, and stronger?

I’ve been doing 5x5 for a month, getting my lifts up, still pretty damn low though.

B: 140 x 5
S: 200 x 5
DL: 200 x 5

My goal is like I said (bigger,leaner,stronger), I want to look good without a shirt on. Currently 5’9 164 lbs, probably around 15-16% bodyfat. I really want to not have fat on my chest and belly anymore. [/quote]

wtf 140x5, and you want to get stronger?? I got 135 x 3 and the girls told me Im getting too big. Now Im trying to cut down to 115