T Nation

What would you do?

Okay, this past weekend, after going through a pretty intense conference, my wife and I sat down to watch a movie (gotta love the portable DVD players that plug into a TV). This particular evening, we chose “John Q,” which neither of us had seen prior.

Not the best choice of movies, considering our mental state. But the question came up as we were watching, “What would you do?” For any one who hasn’t seen the movie, I’m not going to give away too much of the plot, but it boils down to this: Denzel Washington plays a father who has had his hours cut back so that his insurance coverage won’t cover the heart transplant that his son needs to survive. No cash. The hospital won’t even put him on the waiting list, and time is running out.

What would you do if you were faced with this situation?

First, I think I need to see this flick. Second, if we are talking about something having to do with my son’s ability to live, I would have no compunction against doing anything to ensure his life and quality thereof. Whether it be breaking into a hospital and physically inserting his name on a list, finding someone to hack the databases to put his name on the list that way, blackmailing/kidnapping/torturing some important person to put his name at the top of the list, researching and procuring a “black market” heart - down to the event of actually killing the “donor” with my bare hands - I cannot think of anything I would not do.

While I may want to plant him in the backyard every now and again, I know that’s just a passing fancy. There are very few things I am simply and completely irrationally passionate about - and my son is at the top of the list.

karma i don’t think you need to see the movie. :wink:

Actually, Steve, I think this would be a VERY good movie for Karma to see, as there’s ONE thing that she didn’t list…

Karma, see the movie.

What would I do?

• Go to the hospital.
  • Show them my Provincial Health Care card.
  • Get put on the waiting list in order of urgency.
  • The surgery gets done BEFORE the rich guy who needs orthopedic on his shoulder, but AFTER the homeless guy with severe head trauma and has 3 hours to live if he doesn’t get treatment.
  • After a couple days’ recovery, go home.
  • My health care premiums don’t change one goddamn cent.

And we lived happily ever after.

You know, the Beef man is right! All is sunshine and lollipops here in Alberta. We are VERY fortunate that all of the best and brightest doctors stay in Canada as well as the nurses. Hell, you can get a heart transplant over lunch hour (only if you call before 10:00 A.M!). You gotta love same-day service. Thank God that there is no funding crisis for socialized medicine and our hospitals can afford all of the cutting edge equipment we need, shit, I have an extra Cat scan stored in my garage as a favor to the Foothills Hospital until they can find room their already overcrowded “Cat scan wing”. I hope they pick it up soon as it’s blocking my gardening tools.

Beef…have you been to a hospital ER recently? Do you read the newspapers?, before you jump up on the “Canada has “free” Health-care” soapbox, you should be careful because you could fall off and hurt yourself and find out just how “great” our system is working…it isn’t. While I do agree that to be uncovered by your HMO in the states would leave you more vulnerable that in Canada, if you are covered, you will have access to the BEST health-care professionals and the BEST equipment science has to offer. Period.

Case in point Uncle Barry…told that he had a 3 month wait (in Winnipeg) to get in for a cat scan…he was fortunate to have disposable $ so he went to North Dakota and was scanned there…Pancreatic cancer. Died 3 months later. Well, dead is dead but to think that he would have not even had been diagnosed by the system that he funded ALL HIS LIFE is atrocious. I guess what I’m saying is that being poor and uninsured in America sucks worse that being Poor and “uninsured” in Canada, my solution would be to be a contributor to society, work hard and not be POOR!

“Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis”

~ Jack Handey

Cupcake is right. The Canadian Healthcare System isn’t all peaches n cream. My friend’s dad one time was doing some sort of home improvement project and cut his arm pretty bad. He wrapped a t-shirt around it and went to the hospital with blood gushing out of this soaked shirt he had wrapped around his arm, remember he lives in Northern Ontario. He went up to the front desk and said “I need to see a doctor for this, now!” The lady behind the desk said “well, sir, you’re just going to have to wait.” He said, “how long is the wait?” She said, “about an hour or so.” So he said “fuck it, I’m going home.” “But sir, you’re bleeding.” Then he said “well, I guess I’ll just have to go home and sew it up.” So he went home and had his friend sew it up for him.

Also, if the Canadian Health System is so high and mighty, then why is it that the majority of people getting MRIs at Buffalo MRI Canadian?

I guess if you’re that cheap that you’re willing to sacrifice quality service simply because its “free” then go ahead. The funny thing is that most Canadians that think its free don’t realize that they pay for it in high-ass taxes.

Follow Coca-Cola Coke's CEO undercover and observe his ass.

Take his ass.

Give him 3 choices: 

a) Pay for my son's heart transplant;
      b) Get Coke to pay for my son's heart transplant;
      c) Get his ass shot down if he doesnt comply with either choice a) or b)

Release him only after my son has SUCCESSFULLY received a heart transplant, which has been paid in full.

Granted, I would rot in jail, but hey - You can't put a price on a life now can you.

Of course, you could always just try writing to a state senator, governor, or set up a fundraiser, lol.

What would I do?

1. Check with all government and private organizations. (I know a person who had $40,000 in medical bills covered by the Salvation Army.)
  2. Go to the media. They will often jump on a “sob story” and help promote, and possibly set up a fund to assist with the bills.
  3. Either get myself fired to get onto government assistance, or (I saw this on TV) get a divorce so my wife could go on government assistance.

If that didn’t work, I would try to come up with other ideas, but I would never break a law that interfered with another person’s rights.

This is actually based on a very famous psychological test of how mature in your morals you are. I can’t remember all of the details, but the scenario was that there was a pharmacist who had a drug to cure cancer, but it cost $1,000 and you were broke. There were three types of answers, each one showing higher levels of development.

1- Steal it because you simply wanted it.

2- Go without it because stealing is wrong. Find other ways to get it instead.

3- Steal it only because it is justified in this situation.

This is a pretty rough sketch of how the experiment worked and it was never really fully accepted. I just thought everyone might find it an interesting note.

As for me…I guess I’d try to draw attention to it first (media, special interest groups, etc.). If that didn’t work or if I didn’t have time, I’d make that guy from the movie Falling Down look like a Boy Scout.