What Would You Do?

Ok, I want to ask the knowledgeable people here in the combat forums a question. This came up in an unrelated thread and I want to see what you all think the best course of actions are.

Situation: You are walking towards home at night and alone. You live towards the end of a street (ie. not at a residential “hub” intersection). From a distance you see a group of 5 males you clearly do not know and have no reason to know parked in your driveway, blocking your car in. They are standing very near your front porch in such a way that you could not reach your porch without getting them to move. They are talking/joking in loud voices, and there is no party at either of your neighbors’ houses. You are unarmed.

What do you do and why?

In Australia (where I live) I probably walk right up and have a chat. Not saying I’d feel 100% comfortable doing this, but prob what I’d do.

In the US (after reading all the the gun violence etc threads, and having travelled around there extensively) I’d probably call the cops. This is not a criticism of the US, just a reality of having to handle shit differently in a different culture.

I’d probably wait out of sight until they left, if they were just passing through. Otherwise, I’d probably change my evening plans, get a good group of mates over, and head to the house. Round here, that sort of situation is never, ever, going to end well when you’re by yourself.

Call a close friend to bring me a firearm and confront them. Ask why the fuck they are parked in my driveway on private property.

Let’s say that they are not passing through. They parked their car after all. Also no this did not happen to me or “my buddy” lol.

I’ld go around through my back door and probably grab my rifle but it also depends how threatening the guys look. My reaction is going to be much different depending on if it’s 5 small teenagers or if it’s 5 guys that look like they just busted out of prison.

You reach the bottom of your driveway and shout

WHICH ONE OF YOU MUTHFUCKAS IS TOP DOG???
(a direct challenge to each one individually driving a schism between each of them)

Eventually an individual would emerge from the group (they are so tough they don’t need to ALL approach you since you are after all ALONE)

As he approaches the bottom of the driveway you start to back up a little bit to pull him away from the group

Once he’s close you go nuts with everything you’ve got. Beat his ass so bad that you scare the group away, they will heed.

…and if not, one of your neighbors should hear you getting killed in the middle of the street and call the cops which is what you should’ve done in the first place

If I knew the wife was home, I would call her first to make sure she was OK. If she said yes, I would ask her if I was invited to the gang bang.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Ok, I want to ask the knowledgeable people here in the combat forums a question. This came up in an unrelated thread and I want to see what you all think the best course of actions are.

Situation: You are walking towards home at night and alone. You live towards the end of a street (ie. not at a residential “hub” intersection). From a distance you see a group of 5 males you clearly do not know and have no reason to know parked in your driveway, blocking your car in. They are standing very near your front porch in such a way that you could not reach your porch without getting them to move. They are talking/joking in loud voices, and there is no party at either of your neighbors’ houses. You are unarmed.

What do you do and why?[/quote]

I read this post in the Trayvon thread and what you did was perfectly time. I would go even further and say that it was textbook of what should be done. The people giving you a hard time are fucking retards.

edit: Fuck, it wasn’t you, was it? Was some other guy.

I expect I’d call the cops, explain the situation and stay on the line with the call taker and keep them informed and follow their direction (if practical) while I found something inconspicuous to occupy myself with until the police arrived. If I could maintain visual contact without being seen myself I would do so. If there is a reasonable/innocent explanation for the situation, the police can sort that out when they arrive. We pay people with guns to come out and deal with this sort of thing. Response time where I live is around 4 minutes. I can hang tight for that long.

[quote]batman730 wrote:
I expect I’d call the cops, explain the situation and stay on the line with the call taker and keep them informed and follow their direction (if practical) while I found something inconspicuous to occupy myself with until the police arrived. If I could maintain visual contact without being seen myself I would do so. If there is a reasonable/innocent explanation for the situation, the police can sort that out when they arrive. We pay people with guns to come out and deal with this sort of thing. Response time where I live is around 4 minutes. I can hang tight for that long.[/quote]

This is exactly what I would do.

[quote]WN76 wrote:

[quote]batman730 wrote:
I expect I’d call the cops, explain the situation and stay on the line with the call taker and keep them informed and follow their direction (if practical) while I found something inconspicuous to occupy myself with until the police arrived. If I could maintain visual contact without being seen myself I would do so. If there is a reasonable/innocent explanation for the situation, the police can sort that out when they arrive. We pay people with guns to come out and deal with this sort of thing. Response time where I live is around 4 minutes. I can hang tight for that long.[/quote]

This is exactly what I would do. [/quote]

Police don’t generally hurry into the area I grew up in. It’s not some kind of Mexican cartel town or anything, but it’s an area where violent crime is taken as a given, and police response time, if they do respond, would be lengthy.

If we assume they aren’t passing through, and I haven’t done anything to upset any of the known trouble makers, I’d probably still call the fuzz, lie low and wait it out, then end up staying with a mate when the Met decided they weren’t interested in responding to my complaint.

[quote]Bauber wrote:
Call a close friend to bring me a firearm and confront them. Ask why the fuck they are parked in my driveway on private property.[/quote]
Big mistake. Why escalate things? Why make it a potential life and death (yours and/or theirs and/or your family, friends and neighbors)issue by bringing a gun? A gun is a physical solution to a mental problem. Swallow your pride. Check your ego. Call the cops and save yourself a lot of potential heartache and headaches. Why bother having cops and paying taxes? Ask yourself what Sun Tzu would do.

I have never encountered such a situation ever. If I did though I would most likely approach the group and see what the hell was going on. I would tell them to leave and call the police right there. If it turned ugly I would start capping dudes no hesitation.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]Bauber wrote:
Call a close friend to bring me a firearm and confront them. Ask why the fuck they are parked in my driveway on private property.[/quote]
Big mistake. Why escalate things? Why make it a potential life and death (yours and/or theirs and/or your family, friends and neighbors)issue by bringing a gun? A gun is a physical solution to a mental problem. Swallow your pride. Check your ego. Call the cops and save yourself a lot of potential heartache and headaches. Why bother having cops and paying taxes? Ask yourself what Sun Tzu would do. [/quote]

X2

I laughed a little when I read that post…like “COME AT ME BRO”

A lot of guys can’t distinguish their EQ from their IQ.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]Bauber wrote:
Big mistake. Why escalate things? Why make it a potential life and death (yours and/or theirs and/or your family, friends and neighbors)issue by bringing a gun? A gun is a physical solution to a mental problem. Swallow your pride. Check your ego. Call the cops and save yourself a lot of potential heartache and headaches. Why bother having cops and paying taxes? Ask yourself what Sun Tzu would do. [/quote]

Maybe because I live on 700 acres and am at least 45 mins away from the nearest law enforcement getting to me. Has nothing to do with ego or pride. It is my property and I take responsibility for it. Mental problem? I am pretty sure their proximity on my premises is a physical one. I am not saying go in guns blazing, but it would be ready in case they were there to do harm.

They have no business being on my property uninvited acting suspicious. And neighbors are irrelevant at my house. You could fire a rifle from anywhere near my house and not come close to another home.

Obviously you have to take account of the situation and act smartly and not on blind impulse. And why is it all of a sudden my problem for escalating things when they are in the wrong?

And if my family were in the house, you would expect me to wait and call the cops? Bullshit, grow a pair of testicles and take responsibility for what is yours. If my family could possibly be in immediate danger, I am acting. And if they presented any kind of threatening position, I would mow every single one of them down quickly and without hesitation. This world is too fucked up and too full of sick mother fuckers for me to take even the slightest risk when it comes to family.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]Bauber wrote:

X2

I laughed a little when I read that post…like “COME AT ME BRO”

A lot of guys can’t distinguish their EQ from their IQ.
[/quote]

Has nothing to do with acting macho. I would approach them respectfully, but also wary and in a manner that they knew I meant business. If they were at the wrong house or there by mistake, I don’t see why they would escalate things. No harm, no foul. I would let them go on about their way. Hell I would even give them a beverage and try to help them find where they were going.

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

I read this post in the Trayvon thread and what you did was perfectly time. I would go even further and say that it was textbook of what should be done. The people giving you a hard time are fucking retards.

edit: Fuck, it wasn’t you, was it? Was some other guy. [/quote]

Hahaha. It’s ok, the thought was nice! Yeah it was some other guy. I didn’t mention the Trayvon thread originally because I didn’t want to poison the well so to speak. I just wanted some of the vets of the Combat forum to look at the situation without any drama attached and say what they think is the most sound method of dealing with it.

I was planning on telling people later though about the party 2 whole blocks away and the guys threatening the responding police officer to see if that changed anybody’s ideas.

I agree with you, anybody telling somebody they should walk up to 5 guys unarmed and with no easy way of escape (i.e. car) to confront them is a retard. The only way I would walk up to them is if a) I had a force equalizer and b) no other way to do it. People die getting brave in the wrong circumstances.

Or I suppose if I lived out in the country and there was no realistic way that the police would make it in time. Of course in that scenario I’ll already know they’re trouble because there’s no need to be on my front porch if I’m living alone in the country lol.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

edit: Fuck, it wasn’t you, was it? Was some other guy. [/quote]

Hahaha. It’s ok, the thought was nice! Yeah it was some other guy. I didn’t mention the Trayvon thread originally because I didn’t want to poison the well so to speak. I just wanted some of the vets of the Combat forum to look at the situation without any drama attached and say what they think is the most sound method of dealing with it.

I was planning on telling people later though about the party 2 whole blocks away and the guys threatening the responding police officer to see if that changed anybody’s ideas.

I agree with you, anybody telling somebody they should walk up to 5 guys unarmed and with no easy way of escape (i.e. car) to confront them is a retard. The only way I would walk up to them is if a) I had a force equalizer and b) no other way to do it. People die getting brave in the wrong circumstances.

Or I suppose if I lived out in the country and there was no realistic way that the police would make it in time. Of course in that scenario I’ll already know they’re trouble because there’s no need to be on my front porch if I’m living alone in the country lol. [/quote]

I agree with what you did. You had no other means to you to deal with the situation at hand. Given the locale, situation, and items at your disposal calling the cops was the right choice.

@legendaryblaze

I also thought it was amusing that the certain large dentist was telling me and the original poster of that question that I was fearful and “culturally unaware” when I likely have a much more thorough combatives background both learning/practicing and working with weekly incidents in crowded situations where it is normal to be outnumbered. It was also sad.