What Would You Do?

Going to try and keep a long story short.

I keep a log about joining either the royal marines or the parachute regiment.

I had a conversation the other day with a bloke who’s ex-para/airborne and he gave me some really good advice that made me think.

I know that I won’t be applying to either the royal marines or the parachute regiment for at least 9 months. By and large, I’m fit enough to get in (not pass-out!) already - all the training I’m doing at the moment is for the purpose of getting me fitter and stronger, and it’s working, but he questioned as to why I was starting so early.

He then asked what I was doing at the moment. I’m still in school, working on things that I don’t really care about. I’d rather I could apply without consent tomorrow. But then he pointed out that if I fuck my schoolwork off for this extra ‘training’ that is for the sake of it, then I could be screwing myself over in the future if I get injured badly in basic or can’t join up for some reason.

The crux of what he was saying was, and to paraphrase - ‘Enjoy yourself like a young adult should and grin and bare the schoolwork as a sort of backup plan. Scale back the training a little til around 4 or 5 months before you apply, making sure that in the meantime you maintain what you already have. Then when you’re sure that’s what you want to do, start bashing the training.’

Is this sound reasoning? Sometimes, I miss out on work deadlines and get shit for it just to go out for sessions that I didn’t want to do in the first place for a purpose that is of no use to me yet. As much as I dislike school, I need to make sure that I have something to fall back on.

Obviously I’m not going to stop training. And I’m never going to justify myself not training. But ultimately I just plan to scale back and maintain for a bit while I focus on having more of a life and dealing with school.

Does anybody see any flaws with this?

You had to make a thread about prioritizing between the TWO responsibilities you have in life? wtf

Whats wrong with your head?

Lol

“I can’t train and do schoolwork at the same time”
“But I can wipe my ass and eat sandwiches without accidentally switching hands”

A

The man you talked to gave you some sound advice. It’s always clever to have a backup plan. You never know when some jerk is going to drop a weight on your foot, or something of that nature. I wouldn’t ignore school, brother; you’re going to run into a lot more basic academic stuff in the military than you would probably think. The other week I had a class which required me to relearn a bunch of trigonometry concepts. Soldiers use math every day. The ability to clearly express ideas in writing is always a boon in the military.

Try to look at it this way - you’re not going to be paying attention in school because it’s your backup plan, rather you’re paying attention in school because it’s going to make you a better soldier.

Also, you train your ass off, and I’m sure you’re well ahead of the game in that respect.

I hope this helped a bit. At the end of the day, you’ve got to make your own priorities.

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:
The man you talked to gave you some sound advice. It’s always clever to have a backup plan. You never know when some jerk is going to drop a weight on your foot, or something of that nature. I wouldn’t ignore school, brother; you’re going to run into a lot more basic academic stuff in the military than you would probably think. The other week I had a class which required me to relearn a bunch of trigonometry concepts. Soldiers use math every day. The ability to clearly express ideas in writing is always a boon in the military.

Try to look at it this way - you’re not going to be paying attention in school because it’s your backup plan, rather you’re paying attention in school because it’s going to make you a better soldier.

Also, you train your ass off, and I’m sure you’re well ahead of the game in that respect.

I hope this helped a bit. At the end of the day, you’ve got to make your own priorities. [/quote]

Thanks man, it does.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Whats wrong with your head?[/quote]

Lol, what? There’s nothing wrong with my head, I just wanted to get some input from people who might have been in similar situations.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

“I can’t train and do schoolwork at the same time”

[/quote]

Never said that, I just said that one sometimes takes a priority when there’s no point yet.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
You had to make a thread about prioritizing between the TWO responsibilities you have in life? wtf[/quote]

Yeah. I didn’t know there was a pre-requisite?

[quote]Jaice wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
You had to make a thread about prioritizing between the TWO responsibilities you have in life? wtf[/quote]

Yeah. I didn’t know there was a pre-requisite? [/quote]

DB Cooper is being too nice. I think he is assuming your level of intelligence is higher than what it is.

Here is my advice. Clearly you struggle in your coursework and in written communication. I say quit school and join up. If you get injured there is always a life of crime or suicide as fallback positions.

[quote]Jaice wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Lol, what? There’s nothing wrong with my head, I just wanted to get some input from people who might have been in similar situations.[/quote]

I mean you picture man, WTF is on your head?

Don’t you finish school at like half 3 in the afternoon? That is at least 6 hours of free time per day.

[quote]Jaice wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Lol, what? There’s nothing wrong with my head, I just wanted to get some input from people who might have been in similar situations.[/quote]

I think he means in your avatar. Your head looks weird.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Jaice wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

I mean you picture man, WTF is on your head? [/quote]

Hahaha sorry it’s not easy to tell what people mean on here. It’s a mask I had on to hide my face from a front shot, but I only wanted to use the backshot I took, and forgot to take it off inbetween…

[quote]Vir wrote:
Don’t you finish school at like half 3 in the afternoon? That is at least 6 hours of free time per day.[/quote]

mate it isn’t a question of ‘I can’t fit everything in’ it’s more a case of should I put all my eggs into one basket or not.

[quote]groo wrote:

[quote]Jaice wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

Yeah. I didn’t know there was a pre-requisite? [/quote]

DB Cooper is being too nice. I think he is assuming your level of intelligence is higher than what it is.

Here is my advice. Clearly you struggle in your coursework and in written communication. I say quit school and join up. If you get injured there is always a life of crime or suicide as fallback positions.[/quote]

cheeky fucker haha

[quote]Jaice wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Jaice wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Hahaha sorry it’s not easy to tell what people mean on here. It’s a mask I had on to hide my face from a front shot, but I only wanted to use the backshot I took, and forgot to take it off inbetween…[/quote]

Just messing with you, would give my left testicle to be 17 again. My son was born when I was 17 so my childhood stopped.

Good luck.

I would listen to the man in the military, he has perfect advice.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Jaice wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Jaice wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Hahaha sorry it’s not easy to tell what people mean on here. It’s a mask I had on to hide my face from a front shot, but I only wanted to use the backshot I took, and forgot to take it off inbetween…[/quote]

Just messing with you, would give my left testicle to be 17 again. My son was born when I was 17 so my childhood stopped.

Good luck.

I would listen to the man in the military, he has perfect advice.[/quote]

Thankyou - no worries, I didn’t take it personally, it pays not to when you ask for advice on here!

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

“But I can wipe my ass and eat sandwiches without accidentally switching hands”

A[/quote]

Can you explain this one to me, please? As Groo notes, I’m a bit thick and need help with my comprehension…

The Golden Gate Bridge looks wonderful this time of year…