What Would You Do If You Were Me?

Hi all

I’m a 26 year old male in a highly stressful job looking to get back in shape. I’m 6’2, 215lbs, around 19% bodyfat (bod pod about a month ago). I carry most of my muscle and fat in my legs / ass, but am decently built all over. I have been involved in sports all of my life, including college soccer, but for the last 3 years have worked long hours, eaten a lot, and gotten lazy. For the last 9 months I have been working 90+ hours per week and have gained 10-15lbs, and really need to make some changes.

I have worked out on and off since high school, but always for an athletic goal (mostly soccer) rather than aesthetics. I’ve never had a great level of strength. Max bench was probably 240, deadlift 350+, clean 200+ and I’m well versed in the olympic lifts. I’m quite far from these numbers now, I imagine. My diet has always been whatever I’ve wanted for the most part, but I lost 30lbs a couple of years ago by eating 1500 calories a day (with a few slip-ups) for a month or so.

My goals:

1. Aesthetic - I’d like a bulkier / stronger version of Ryan Reynolds look. I suppose this means sub 10% bodyfat and some time in the weight room. Also, my legs / ass are naturally disproportionally bigger than the rest of my body, and I’ve only made this worse over the years by training for soccer. I’d like to make my upper body more balanced with my lower. This may be because I store more fat there, and getting down to sub 10pc will rectify this. Regardless, I’d like to avoid my legs getting any larger! I actually have a biosignature profile done a while back if this would be useful…I’ll post it later.

2. Strength - I’d like to be strong, and I’d like to look strong

3. Fitness / health - as I work such long, unhealthy hours, it’s good for me to run (I do enjoy jogging and would like to get faster) / play / workout 3-5 times a week to burn off steam. I’d like to go at least 3x weekly, up to 5x. I also know that I do better with less carbs (although not necessarily none - as I need to perform at my peak consistently in my job and cant afford any mental fogginess, ever).

So, what should I do? I’ve read all of the programs, all of the diets, etc. I’ve thought about crossfit. I’ve thought about GBC training. I’ve thought about losing the fat first then gaining. I’ve thought about more of a re-comp. I’ve thought about leangains. I’ve considered paleo diet, low carb, high protein, zone, IF, poliquin biosig protocols, etc.

There are so many options out there but the older I get the more I realise that it’s about the journey, and the process…and consistently making the correct decisions and putting in the hours rather than one phase or one program. Would love to be given some advice about what people more experienced than I think I should do!

My gym is OK but a bit crowded…so I would have to be creative with any supersets, etc. We do have an olympic platform though that only I use (even bring in my own chalk!). We also have a versaclimber which I know is a great bit of kit but I’m not sure how to use it!

Thanks guys and girls.

Done last year when I was much less stressed and weighed 5-10lbs less…although this had me at 22.8% BF, the bodpod recently had me at 20% weighing more…and I certainly haven’t gained muscle since! Anyway, this is good to see where my problem areas are. Does my ass look particularly troublesome?

Chin 6.8 mm
Cheek 13.2
Pec 3.4
Triceps 21.2
Subscapular 14.1
Midaxilliary 8.6
Suprailiac 38.2
Umbilical 36.4
Knee 7
Calf 18.8
Quadriceps 28.2
Hamstrings 40.1
Total 167.7 mm

I’m not reading all of that.
If I were you,
I’d try to be more like me.
Just go with your gut
or flip a coin or something.
When all else fails
Get really,
Really
Strong.

I’m 24 and work pretty odd hours so I can sympathize (I also have disproportionate lower body development). Kudos for wanting to get in better shape. It sounds like you have a lot of different goals and you’re a bit overwhelmed by all the advice out there. I think the worst thing you could do is to do everything at once, jumping from one program to the next before devoting enough time to see the results.

There are plenty of good programs on this site and out there. Find one that makes sense for you and your schedule and one that you see yourself actually doing for a sustained period of time. Set a goal (12 weeks, arbitrarily) and then measure your progress. I personally have been doing Thib’s HPmass program and I enjoy it and like the results. I also read Louie Simmons’ book and did that style of training, and that has been shown time after time to be great for powerlifting. Just be aware that everything won’t happen at once. If you want to cut bodyfat, then cut bodyfat. If you want to build strength, then build strength. What you want to avoid is getting excited and buying a bunch of equipment/supplements/etc. and going balls-out for 2 weeks then getting disinterested/busy/bored and stopping. Decide on a diet and program that appeals to you and fits your schedule, and then do it 100%. Good luck.

sometimes you just gotta dance bro

forget girls

forget the job

just grab your boys and hit the dance floor

[quote]tonypluto wrote:
I’m not reading all of that.
If I were you,
I’d try to be more like me.
[/quote]

Hahaha that’s awesome!

Push something
Pull something
Hinge with your hips
squat
carry something heavy
run

Maybe this suits you:

Day1:
Bench variation: do a total of 50reps ( 5x10, 10x5, 7x7 etc )
row variation: do a total of 50reps ( 5x10, 10x5, 7x7 etc )

• after this, go get an obnoxius arm pump.

Day2:
squat variation: do a total of 50reps ( 5x10, 10x5, 7x7 )
RDL/GHR/back raises: do a total of 50reps ( 5x10, 10x5, 7x7 )

• after this, go hit your abs hard.

Day3:
OHpress variation: do a total of 50reps ( 5x10, 10x5, 7x7 etc )
chins/pulldowns: do a total of 50reps ( 5x10, 10x5, 7x7 etc )

• after this, go get an obnoxius delt pump( do stuff like side raises, rare raises etc )

Just an Idea.

Dude… don’t read any more routines or advice… don’t think about that stuff again. Its time to do not to think. If you want to get in good shape start running 4 times a week and do body weight exercises for about 2 months, ie pushups, pullups, squats, sit ups ect… then after that 2 month period start adding weight exercises… Thats its man good luck

[quote]florelius wrote:
Maybe this suits you:

Day1:

Day2:

Day3:

• after this, go get an obnoxius delt pump( do stuff like side raises, rare raises etc )

Just an Idea.
[/quote]

Thanks for the recommendation - this looks interesting. Why do you choose 50 reps though?

Defranco’s built like a badass, or 5/3/1 2 days a week template

[quote]coolrunnings wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:
Maybe this suits you:

Day1:

Day2:

Day3:

Just an Idea.
[/quote]

Thanks for the recommendation - this looks interesting. Why do you choose 50 reps though?
[/quote]

Happy to be at help :slight_smile:

When it comes to why I choose to put 50reps, its just an recommendation for total volum, feel free to change this as you see fit.

If you want to get in general shape after years of slothing, Wendler’s Full Body Training in the 5/3/1 Second Edition book is totally badass.

Basically it has you squat, push and pull 3 days per week, with conditioning performed whenever suits. Very simple and effective.

Thanks guys. In terms of diet, I’ve come to a decision: I’m going to do CW’s fat loss / recomp diet that is basically a modified warrior diet / IF diet. Seems to fit how I naturally eat and would also be good for work. It is also more a lifestyle choice rather than a diet. You can check it out here:

http://chadwaterbury.com/category/how-to-get-ripped/

In terms of training, I’ve gotten my hands on both the Built Like a Badass program and the 531 full body program, and both look great.

Having read a few BLAB logs, though, it seems that maybe progression isn’t as fast as someone relatively untrained like me could potentially handle. Although I do have a stressful job which often interferes with sleep and will be running a calorie deficit, so maybe this is OK?

Also checked out 531 full body, and this probably wouldn’t be good as I’m trying to avoid squatting if possible as my legs/ass are already disproportionately large…squatting 3x week probably wouldn’t help this! The 1x per week deadlifting of BLAB would be more appropriate here.

So would BLAB with CW’s adapted Warrior Diet work well? I also may do some SS cardio (jogging) on off days as Defranco says that’s OK.

Thanks all

[quote]coolrunnings wrote:
So would BLAB with CW’s adapted Warrior Diet work well?
[/quote]

It will work fine, you are thinking too much. You are out of shape and don’t eat well or exercise. You are planning on eating well and exercising, this can’t possibly go wrong.

Report back in three months when you look/feel/perform better.

You can adjust the program to how you feel on the day, if you are tired just get the prescribed reps on the final set of the big lift and leave out the finishers/sprints, you will still gain strength and make progress.

On the flip side by going for rep PRs on the final set and pushing it with the finishers you can get a brutal workout and you will be glad the program is only 3 days a week!

Hiring someone to tell you how to eat might be a good idea. I did it and it was well spent money. Knowing how to eat for your goals if probably the most important thing to worry about. Check out shelby starnes or alex azarian.

You better listen to me.

1. Diet - find your maintenance level of calories and eat less than that within 500 cals. Whee you stop losing weight, cut 100 from that new number every 2 weeks and skim all nutrients evenly(protein fats carbs)

2. Don’t expect to get to sub 10% bodyfat if you’re not in the gym at least 5 days a week. Do a bodypart split, do cardio 5 days a week including off days. HIIT or steady state it really doesnt matter because calories are calories. Any retard that tells you that you’re going to lose muscle from running fast is a fucking asshole.

3. Eat a ton of raw crunchy green vegetables every day. like 2 bags of salad(not iceberg). Once when you wake up, once at dinner.

4. Your fast carbs? get them in 2 times per day. 50% as soon as you wake up, 50% within 2 hrs after your workout. Do it.

5. Don’t buy into hype. What i mean is, don’t do stupid exercises that you read about somewhere like crossfit shit. Crossfit makes ugly girls into good looking girls and fat guys into shitty “athletic” looking guys. if you want to look like a beanpole, go ahead and crossfart away, but dont come back here and complain about how your arms arent growing from your leg-lift skull-crushers.

6. CW stuff sucks. I mean, im sure he’s good for hollywood women and people who can afford wild caught salmon jerky, but yeah, it sucks. don’t expect to get big or strong on that stuff.

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:
You better listen to me.

1. Diet - find your maintenance level of calories and eat less than that within 500 cals. Whee you stop losing weight, cut 100 from that new number every 2 weeks and skim all nutrients evenly(protein fats carbs)

2. Don’t expect to get to sub 10% bodyfat if you’re not in the gym at least 5 days a week. Do a bodypart split, do cardio 5 days a week including off days. HIIT or steady state it really doesnt matter because calories are calories. Any retard that tells you that you’re going to lose muscle from running fast is a fucking asshole.

3. Eat a ton of raw crunchy green vegetables every day. like 2 bags of salad(not iceberg). Once when you wake up, once at dinner.

4. Your fast carbs? get them in 2 times per day. 50% as soon as you wake up, 50% within 2 hrs after your workout. Do it.

5. Don’t buy into hype. What i mean is, don’t do stupid exercises that you read about somewhere like crossfit shit. Crossfit makes ugly girls into good looking girls and fat guys into shitty “athletic” looking guys. if you want to look like a beanpole, go ahead and crossfart away, but dont come back here and complain about how your arms arent growing from your leg-lift skull-crushers.

6. CW stuff sucks. I mean, im sure he’s good for hollywood women and people who can afford wild caught salmon jerky, but yeah, it sucks. don’t expect to get big or strong on that stuff.

[/quote]

Well for the general population this is all solid stuff, but you need to remember he is working 90+ hours a week and that by the sound of things his career is his overriding priority not training.

I work in a hedge fund where these hours are the norm, every year I see many out of shape guys commit to hitting the gym and hit it hard, 5-7 days a week then burnout two months later, often picking up strains and minor injuries in the process and then not touching a weight for the next 6 months.

Before everything else his no.1 goal is to avoid this and find an approach that will keep him in the gym YEAR ROUND. Jim Wendler has talked about this many times, start conservatively and just get the work done.

1. Watch diet, eat clean most of the time. (only one person puts food in your mouth: YOU)
  2. make some time for the gym: minimum 2 non consecutive days. More if poss.
  3. when in gym divide available time in half. Half compound weight half medium to hard cardio
  4. repeat
  5. evaluate compliance and results after 12 weeks
  6. Adjust routine, keep simple though for time efficiancy.