T Nation

What Would You Do If You Were Me - Bulk or Lose More Fat?

Stats:26/6’2/193lbs

Hi everyone,so I’ve been cutting for 2 months now and I’m currently eating about 1970 calories a day.
I’m training 5 days a week(3 full body + 2 core strength training with prowler push and jumping rope)

My goal is to be jacked and make my abs become visible,do you think I should lose more fat or start bulking now then cutting ? I appreciate it ahead!

I would lift weights 4 times a week, rather than having 2 whole days dedicated to core. Making the 5th day core and conditioning is fine.

4 Likes

Thank you for your advice! Would you cut or bulk if you were me?

Neither. I don’t subscribe to those methodologies.

I would train hard and eat to recover from it.

10 Likes

What do your macros look like?
Can you post your nutrition program?

1 Like

Sure.So my daily protein intake is 194 g carbs is 194 g and fat is 43 g.
Morning: 110 g of Quaker quick oats + 60 g of frozen blueberrie + 2 scoops of whey isolate chocolate + 28 g of natural peanut butter

Lunch:110 g of Mixed frozen veggies + 160 g of chicken breast + 80 g of white rice

Dinner:200 g of sweet potato + 3 eggs with 80 g of egg whites + 80 g of black beans + 60 g of green beans.

Snack:120 g of greek yogurt + 1 scoop of Whey isolate

I’ve seen you say this a few times. I really don’t understand it. Does that mean eat enough for the scale to go up? Weights to go up? Both? Neither? I feel like I’m over thinking this.

Don’t chase scale weight: that is how people get fat. Lifts going up is good. Being able to handle your workload is crucial. If you aren’t recovering between sessions, try more food.

4 Likes

How do you determine if you’ve recovered between sessions?

Asking this question leads me to believe you have never been underecovered, which is a good thing.

If you are ready to perform and complete the session, you were recovered. If you consistently fail to do that, you are most likely underrecovered.

4 Likes

That’s a good thing! I’ve often wondered if I’ve been over doing it but I don’t think so.

Thank you for taking the time to explain it.

2 Likes

If you are sticking to this diet and not blowing it on the weekend with bad food choices and drinking you should be losing fat. What is your cardio like?
Other than that I would look at the intensity of your workouts. Are you focused? Minimum rest periods between sets? Minimum talking to others? Pushing yourself to almost failure on the last rep of each set?
What are your stats in the big 3?

Ya know, it is so seldom that someone asks for advice, hears something, and then accepts and processes that advice rather than trying to argue against it. Seriously, so many guys on this forum would be years ahead of where they are now if they could just put their thoughts aside and actually listen to advice, love when someone actually does it.

8 Likes

OP, this is some of the best advice you can get. I learned the hard way that if aesthetics is anywhere in your goals pay attention to the mirror, not the scale.

4 Likes

Thank you for your inputs! Can you tell me how often you train per week and what does your routine look like ?

I’ve been reading articles on this site and most of them say you should drop your body fat to 10% or below before starting to bulk if aesthetics is your goal and if that’s the case,I will have to keep cutting.
But you do have a good point,I just don’t know how to do it correctly without gaining too much belly fat,meaning that if I train hard and eat a lot of high quality food to help me recover ,will my belly get chubbier,if so,how should I deal with it?

The important of some progress and or performance in the gym has really become a foreign concept to some.

5 Likes

I am in my early 40’s and my training revolves around improving strength and conditioning, maintaining muscle mass and mobility, and trying to reduce body fat, so my training may not match your goals.

If your goals are more athletically or general health oriented then Joe Defranco’s Westside for Skinny Bastards 3, Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1, or any of Chad Waterbury’s stuff would be fine.

If you are more interested in bodybuilding, I would look at Kingbeef’s old thread it was something like “do this routine instead of that dumb one,” I believe. He posted a lot of bodybuilding routines in it. I’ve heard the Mountain Dog articles are good too, but I have no experience with them.

@T3hPwnisher gave you general dietary guidelines. I guess I would add that if you stick to eating a lot of lean sources of protein it would probably difficult to gain a lot of fat.

2 Likes

Appreciate it! What’s your thoughts on this? https://www.t-nation.com/training/8-rules-for-fat-loss-training

Appreciate it! What’s your thoughts on this? https://www.t-nation.com/training/8-rules-for-fat-loss-training

1 Like

I don’t see anything inherently wrong with that program. If it interests you, give it a try for two months and see what your results are.

Just make sure to give it your full effort and eat enough protein.

1 Like