T Nation

What workout with crappy diet?

Ok, here’s the situation. I got back from Italy, and no one wants to hire computer engineers. So, I have no cash. I get fed by my family, but beyond a couple scoops of protein powder a day, I’m pretty much screwed in terms of healthy, bodybuilding food. On the other hand, I have time to train, since I’m out of work.

What kinds of workouts would you all use in my situation? I figure low volume is better, and maybe I’m suffering from analysis paralysis… I’m just so bummed about not having a job that I can’t really motivate myself to lift. And of course, my motivation isn’t helped by the knowledge that any training I do is going to be screwed because of diet.

Any advice anyone can throw my way? (other than ‘find a job’)

Well first off get a job!..just f-ing with ya. But for real eggs are not that expensive and tuna isn’t either or oatmeal for that matter. If you get at least your bdywt. in g of protein ED then you should be able to make some decent gains. With that in mind any program would probably be fine although I might shy away from things like GVT since it takes alot out of me. Another thing to think about that has been touched on here before is the whole jacked men in jail conversation. I’ve had a few freind who go to jail and most likely don’t get to eat as well as you are and still get in real good shape. Good luck.

I agree with Wideguy. Lifting is more important than diet - at least for limited periods of time. And dietwise, you aren’t as totally screwed as guy in prison would be (snicker, snicker). Think of it as an experiment in what’s possible for you without supplements and a perfect diet. You might be totally surprised.

Do whatever you need to do to get yourself to the gym and lift. Hell, try some two-a-days even. (When are you ever going have time to do that again?) Post a log and we’ll all kick your ass (and encourage you) every day.

Lifting will give you confidence and confidence will help you get a job.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Hey take a quick job at the GNC or Vitamin world until you can find work that you want to do. Get those discounts
while you looking! Good Luck with the Job situation, it sucks to be IT these days.

Who are you guys kidding? These days, the inmates probably eat better than most Americans do. Then they hit the weights, head over to the air-conditioned T.V. room, and thumb through the most recent issue of Hustler.

Oops. Sorry about the hijack.

I agree with wideguy that tuna, canned chicken, canned salmon, and the like are really cheap (tuna around here is 47 cents a can). And keep up the lifting.

And keep looking for a job.

:slight_smile:

It has been my experience that when I’ve waited until everything is perfect, it never is. I’ve had more than one point in my life when I didn’t have work, and I should have utilized that time, because you’ll kick yourself forever for not doing so (that has been my experience).

If I was looking at my life as a glass half empty right now, the best place for both my mental and physical well being would be the gym.

I’d hit it hard, with massive volume: 50 to 100 rep exercises thrown in…use the mental conditioning to toughen up and force yourself to realize that you have no limits!!!

Many times I’ve entered the gym in a less than contented mental state, and started a workout with 100 reps of leg extensions, curls, or leg presses. When I get finished, I feel invincible!!!

If you cannot control the diet totally right now, then control what you can…and that would be your workouts.

Agree with wideguy…get a job.

Thanks for the support and advice, guys. I actually have an interview set for Tuesday, so cross your fingers!
And, I’ll be back under the weights come Monday, this I vow!

[quote]nephorm wrote:
Thanks for the support and advice, guys. I actually have an interview set for Tuesday, so cross your fingers![/quote]

Did you get the job?

[quote]malonetd wrote:
nephorm wrote:
Thanks for the support and advice, guys. I actually have an interview set for Tuesday, so cross your fingers!

Did you get the job?[/quote]

lol

Skipping the protein powder could save $35-40 per tub…get frozen chicken for $1/lb. 40 pounds of chicken will do more for you than whey.

[quote]Jeffe wrote:
Skipping the protein powder could save $35-40 per tub…get frozen chicken for $1/lb. 40 pounds of chicken will do more for you than whey.[/quote]

Someone doesn’t get the joke? Thread is 5 years old…

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Jeffe wrote:
Skipping the protein powder could save $35-40 per tub…get frozen chicken for $1/lb. 40 pounds of chicken will do more for you than whey.

Someone doesn’t get the joke? Thread is 5 years old…[/quote]

Hell, I only checked the date because neph seems like the type of guy who wouldn’t have any trouble finding a job.

lol, I was like, this doesn’t sound like a typical neph post.

so, did you get the job? lol

[quote]Mike Mann wrote:
Who are you guys kidding? These days, the inmates probably eat better than most Americans do. Then they hit the weights, head over to the air-conditioned T.V. room, and thumb through the most recent issue of Hustler.
[/quote]

x2

But then again the average North American diet is sub par for a dog, much less somebody who wants to be healthy and pack on a ton of muscle.

Haha, I actually pmed him a whole lot of tips, damn it… Right now I feel more stupid than my dog :stuck_out_tongue:

So this is why people have been PMing me…

I have been unemployed since this post.

Seriously, though, I had three interviews at around the same time. One job I wanted, the other two I did not. I got the one I wanted.

I have since moved on. Twice.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
So this is why people have been PMing me…

I have been unemployed since this post.

Seriously, though, I had three interviews at around the same time. One job I wanted, the other two I did not. I got the one I wanted.

I have since moved on. Twice.[/quote]

Good to hear.