T Nation

What Workout Has Left You Sore?

What workout has gotten a particular muscle group the most sore?

For calves, when I switched to a five second pause at the bottom and top instead of bouncing. My calves were literally sore for over a week.

I did trap bar dead lifts with a deficit 10x10 on Monday. On Tuesday I literally couldn’t sit down, the doms in my glutes were so bad.

This clearly belongs in GAL or SAMA

Hmmm… so you decided that when you do your calves you are going to do them in a controlled motion as opposed to wasting your time. That almost sounds similar to this thing I heard called bodybuilding.
I also find it interesting that you sound like a complete beginner but you were doing “trap bar deads from a deficit” ?

D motherfucking C.

One day I decided to see how many reps I could do with 3 plates on the bar with Romanian deadlifts.

I lost count after 12, and I had an interesting conversation with Jesus while he was riding a Tyrannosaurus shortly after. Pretty sore after that one.

I did a set of 20 rep squats one time that ended at rep 18 after I folded like an accordion, dumped the bar and fainted briefly. After I managed to get out of the garage I went and laid down for two hours…and my legs were still pumped. I thought I had damaged a nerve, my legs hurt so bad. I was still sore 6 days later.

Shrugs usually leave me with difficulty turning my head, mostly because I’m a dumbass and do too many reps with too much weight.

First time I tried the HS incline machine I knew I was onto something. Couldn’t really cross my arms for a while.

Nothing really seems to make my shoulders and arms sore, so I’m still searching for that magic exercise or combination of sets/reps that will leave me totally unable to function lol

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
This clearly belongs in GAL or SAMA[/quote]

I’m getting the SAMA reference but GAL?

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
Hmmm… so you decided that when you do your calves you are going to do them in a controlled motion as opposed to wasting your time. That almost sounds similar to this thing I heard called bodybuilding.
I also find it interesting that you sound like a complete beginner but you were doing “trap bar deads from a deficit” ?[/quote]

I also find it interesting that you didn’t answer the thread question…

With the exception of side delts, all of my muscle groups are usually sore - particularly chest and legs.

The soreness is most severe, however, not as a result of a certain exercise/routine, but as the result of a DIFFERENT exercise/routine.

The only exercise I can think of which induces more soreness than any other is deadlifts for my hamstrings.

deadlifts cause horrible, but great, things to happen to my entire back; traps, erectors, lats, rear delts. Then my hams are destroyed. I’m sure that a lot of people feel the same way, though. Just goes to show you that if deadlifts aren’t in your workouts and your physically capable of doing them, you should seriously drop a bar on the ground, load it up, and pick it up a few times.

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
I also find it interesting that you sound like a complete beginner but you were doing “trap bar deads from a deficit” ?[/quote]

Some people spend 1000 posts just being annoying.

Bouncing up and down like a low low (lowrider) on calve rises is just silly. Being able to go heavy on the squat, rack pull, and t-bar row has made me feel justified (you could say sore enough) in eating 4 6-8 oz chicken breasts in one sitting.

I don’t really think about soreness when I work out.

I don’t find it pleasurable the day after, but as long as my workouts are intense,

I don’t give a crap about ‘how much soreness will this get’, I’m sore almost all the time on all muscle groups, the least are the biceps.

Also,

I don’t remember what was my sorest workout ever,

I don’t really care.

Im sore for a few days after each workout I do.

Why is this in the Bodybuilding forum?

I use to believe adamently in No DOMS = No progress.

Total bullshit. I’m only a little sore for maybe a day after I exercise, and then I’m fine. It’s strange, though, my rack pull has increased 80 lbs in two months.

Coincidence? You decide.

DOMS doesn’t equal progress.

Don’t confuse effort with results.

Typically if you try something new and the workout is hard enough you will get sore. This may only happen the first few times you do the workout.

You’ll also have to workout smart. Taking 10 seconds to push up 10 reps is about as productive as a drunk 15 year old on prom night. Keep your sets in the 35-70s range. As far as calves go…they (the gastroc) are predominantly slow twitch so will respond better with extended sets and slow reps.

That being said…drop set anything typically does the business for me.

Every now and then you’ve got to go see Jesus…but John and Peter will suffice most of the time.

[quote]BantamRunner wrote:
DOMS doesn’t equal progress.

Don’t confuse effort with results.

Typically if you try something new and the workout is hard enough you will get sore. This may only happen the first few times you do the workout.

You’ll also have to workout smart. Taking 10 seconds to push up 10 reps is about as productive as a drunk 15 year old on prom night. Keep your sets in the 35-70s range. As far as calves go…they (the gastroc) are predominantly slow twitch so will respond better with extended sets and slow reps. Gastroc = fast twitch (around 56 percent of fibres fast twitch) vs soleus which = slow twitch (around 88 percent slow twitch fibres)

That being said…drop set anything typically does the business for me.

Every now and then you’ve got to go see Jesus…but John and Peter will suffice most of the time.

[/quote]

I agree with Bantamrunner it’s easy to make yourself sore. Everytime I try something new it beats me up the first time maybe the second…

After heavy squatting for a while I will go to an all plyo work and it is brutal.

Also I mentioned before about deep squatting 135lbs for time not reps. One set up from 3 minutes to 8 minutes. My calves hurt from holding myself up.followed by 30 leg curls and 30 leg extensions.
I would say there is a different kind of sore that goes with heavy lifting. Squat dead, and bench if you go heavy it’s down deep not the superficial soreness from a bunch of reps. I think this is where I make the most progress.

Front Squats always kick my ass.

[quote]dudinator wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
This clearly belongs in GAL or SAMA

I’m getting the SAMA reference but GAL?[/quote]

Just because a topic involves lifting weights doesn’t mean it has shit to do with bodybuilding.

lifting weights does build your body doesn’t it?