T Nation

What Worked Best in 2012?

As a counterpoint to LoRez’s thread “What didn’t work for you”, I’d like to hear about any additions you made to your routine in 2012 that yielded the most benefit. Could be movement, lifestyle, nutrition or supplementation based.

For me (focusing on movements):

-Front Squats. I’ve built up significant size and strength in the past year from these. If I had a time machine I would have told younger-me not to waste time with back squats.

-Hip Thrusters: Bret Contreras has written extensively about these. They look ridiculous, but give them a try if you’re looking to target glutes.

-Glute Ham Raise

-Meadows Standing Row/Pulldown on Lat Pulldown Machine: I don’t know what this is actually called, and don’t care - it works! Go light.

-Gironda “Perfect Curls”

-Thibadeau’s Delt Triad Superset: 15 reps each of seated laterals, front raises, and dumbbell presses, for 3 sets. Delts have noticeably improved since doing these.

-Incline one-and-a-half flyes: Do the eccentric, go up halfway on the concentric, back to a eccentric, then a full concentric. Repeat. Use light weight.

A small change, but a carbless breakfast to help with weight loss. Just as much chicken I could force feed myself and some coffee to get me out the door and my first route complete at work(I deliver medical equipment.)

Squats and Milk
PIIHB (Putting it in her butt)

x2 of the Front Squat

-Doing more incline bench.
-Doing less lower body because I used to be a lower body addict to build a strong foundation and my legs were overdeveloped in comparison to my upper body as a result. However, I strongly believe that was a good idea.
-Not being too obsessed with being lean.
-Eating more rice and less wheat.
-Deadlift lockouts for lats.

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
As a counterpoint to LoRez’s thread “What didn’t work for you”, I’d like to hear about any additions you made to your routine in 2012 that yielded the most benefit. Could be movement, lifestyle, nutrition or supplementation based.

For me (focusing on movements):

-Front Squats. I’ve built up significant size and strength in the past year from these. If I had a time machine I would have told younger-me not to waste time with back squats.

-Hip Thrusters: Bret Contreras has written extensively about these. They look ridiculous, but give them a try if you’re looking to target glutes.

-Glute Ham Raise

-Meadows Standing Row/Pulldown on Lat Pulldown Machine: I don’t know what this is actually called, and don’t care - it works! Go light.

-Gironda “Perfect Curls”

-Thibadeau’s Delt Triad Superset: 15 reps each of seated laterals, front raises, and dumbbell presses, for 3 sets. Delts have noticeably improved since doing these.

-Incline one-and-a-half flyes: Do the eccentric, go up halfway on the concentric, back to a eccentric, then a full concentric. Repeat. Use light weight.

[/quote]

With you on the hip thrusts and GH Raises. Also, Back Extensions (I had never done the for some reason).

Mobility. Not being so tight led me to do the following:
Bench without hurting my shoulders
Squat (front and back) without hurting… well, everything
Deadlift without hurting my back
Overhead pressing without everything cramping up

And just getting stronger for god’s sake

Also, having periods where I didn’t follow a diet/eating plan and just ate instinctively. I actually ended up looking better than I have for a long while. In my case (and a lot of people’s in this site and in the strength training community) I believe that obsessing over nutrition has done more harm than good, leading to bulimic tendencies. Not to say that nutrition is not important, just that one should be careful not to damage one’s mental health while manipulating it.

Strict overhead press (barbell)
Pull ups
Hack squats

pimpbot5000 for the meadows standing pulldowns what attachment are you using? the close v-grip or the usual bar that most people use for lat pulldowns. tried looking for it but couldnt find a vid, can you give me a link?

That Serge Nubret training. Worked great for muscle growth, not so great for strength.

Standing presses are amazing.

Trying not to be a meadows whore here but I have had some fantastic gains in the past few months since implementing some of his techniques. I am sure it is largely because I have never trained this way before but the results speak for themselves.

Meadow’s ideas on shoulder training

Testosterone Cypionate.

Meadows arm stuff. Really helped

• Being creative in the gym due to working around injuries.

• Upping the volume.

• Focusing on calf work like my life depended on it.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
Testosterone Cypionate.

[/quote]
lol

[quote]jy6537 wrote:
pimpbot5000 for the meadows standing pulldowns what attachment are you using? the close v-grip or the usual bar that most people use for lat pulldowns. tried looking for it but couldnt find a vid, can you give me a link?[/quote]

I use the close v-grip handle - take it right from the seated row machine.

Honestly I have no idea where to find it on the site. I believe Iron Dwarf posted a video of it before. I’m glad he did - it’s an amazing movement.

Totally agree with all of the Meadows love here - especially with shoulders and legs.

Shoulders have always been a weak point for me - after OHP’ng 225 for reps, I still had NOTHING to show for it. Unfortunately for Youngster829309572, my delts started seeing immediate progress when I dedicated a large amount of time to high-rep, strict laterals and other not heavy pressing movements for them.

Also, legs have always been a weak point but because of a bum lower back from my past, going heavy consistently was always a challenge. Enter Mountain Dog stuff… where I’m pre-fatiguing my muscle groups so much before my “main” movements I’m reaping much more in way of MMC and good muscular growth. Hammies have gone from an afterthought to having a hang on them, which I’m pretty pumped about as a natty. Not quite Zraw’s transformation but I’ll take it!

More steak
More fruits and veggies
Focusing on incline movements
High rep leg presses and squats
Weighted pullups
Fresh squeezed breast milk

[quote]Cron391 wrote:

PIIHB (Putting it in her butt)

Crucial for growth.