What Will You Feed Thibs Jr?

Hey Christian!

I am sorry if this question is off limits or something, but I was wondering lately the following: If I will have kinds one day, how will I approach their nutrition?

For instance, a baby. Will I buy prepackaged baby-foods? Will I cut up veggies and blend them myself? What would be optimal?

And if the kids grow up? Should I make them take Flameout or Superfood for example? Should I track their daily calories to make sure they grow optimally?

I mean things like that are handled here by the local dietician, but they are the “6 servings of grains” type of people. I am only 22 at the moment, but I am very interested in your thoughts about this, and I think a lot of dads could benefit. Thanks!

Wow, you’re 22 and already thinking about how to care for a kid? I don’t know whether that’s disturbing or commendable. Nah, it’s commendable. I’m no nutrition expert, but my daughter managed to survive 10 years, so I must be doing something right.

Babies: They’re actually easier to take care of than people think. They’ll let you know if something is wrong by crying - a built in alarm system. Then it’s either a hunger issue or a diaper issue. Feeding consists of one of two options: breast milk or formula. In our case, my wife had to take medication which could have been passed on through breast milk so our only option was formula. There are some breast milk nazis out there who think that giving your baby formula is child abuse. While breast milk is preferable, formula works fine - nothing bad will happen.

Toddlers: Blending veggies is a good option. We did something like that. Lots of parents give their kids juice but juice is highly overrated. If you read the label on most juices, you’ll find that other than vitamin C, there’s not a lot of nutrition there. It’s basically flavored sugar water. Give your kid water and let them get used to drinking it. It pays off. Today, while a lot of her friends are already into drinking soda, our daughter still prefers water. Sure, she’ll drink a non-caffeinated diet soda now and then as a treat, but given the choice she goes for water.

Older kids: It’s important to get good habits in early. At some point, you can’t control what they eat, but if you set a good example yourself and establish good habits, they will carry forward. Also, don’t be afraid to give them “odd” food when they’re young and they’ll develop a taste for it. When I say “odd” I’m talking about foods that you don’t see kids normally eat. For instance, we gave our daughter fish at an early age. She now loves fish, and is a huge fan of smoked salmon. How many 10-year-olds do you know who love smoked salmon? She also likes beef jerky. The kid likes her meat.

We also give her vitamins and try to encourage her to take fish oil. They now have fish oil for kids in the form of little gummy bear-type chewable things. She doesn’t particularly like them, and I don’t blame her. In order to make them taste better they put sugar on it. Think sweet tasting fish - kind of nasty. I tried some - nasty.

That’s about it. I’m not saying my daughter’s diet is perfect - she’ll still eat crap if we’re not looking, but it’s not nearly as bad as what I see some of her friends eat. And she enjoy eating healthy foods.

As soon as your kid is off the tit he/she should be eating a paleo diet. If you give your child grains before the age of 13 you’ve failed as a parent. A child’s diet should consist primarily of meat, veggies, healthy oils, and some fruit. Juice sucks, milk sucks, anything in a box sucks. You can feed your kid meat as soon as he/she is off the tit. When other parents tell you that your child’s diet is unhealthy tell them to go sodomize themselves with some corn.

END THREAD

[quote]OdinsMissingEye wrote:
If you give your child grains before the age of 13 you’ve failed as a parent.[/quote]

Your profile says that you’re 23 years old. What can you possibly know about being a good parent?

As WhiteCrow posted, I hope none of these questions are off limits. That said, I understand you are no pediatrician, but, you certainly have a great deal of knowledge about supplementation for athletes, as well as for people who care about health and well being. I would love to know what kind of supplementation you might consider optimal for your wife or any other pregnant woman. I know Poliquin has said that things like Acetyl l Carnitine, Vitamin D3, and Fish Oil can greatly aid in the development of a childâ??s brain when taken by the mother during pregnancy. I have heard others recommending pregnant woman take greens and other vitamin loaded supps like Biotest Superfood. Other than the boring old Pre-Natal standby, you really donâ??t hear a whole lot other than advertisements. Any thoughts? Thanks!

As soon as your kid is off the tit he/she should be eating a paleo diet. If you give your child grains before the age of 13 you’ve failed as a parent. A child’s diet should consist primarily of meat, veggies, healthy oils, and some fruit. Juice sucks, milk sucks, anything in a box sucks. You can feed your kid meat as soon as he/she is off the tit. When other parents tell you that your child’s diet is unhealthy tell them to go sodomize themselves with some corn.

END THREAD[/quote]

I’m a parent of 5 year old twins. When I was single, I had thoughts of how I would feed my child, parent, etc.

Once the “bullets” start flying and you’re actually a parent, then these decisions are quite as easy (kids are screaming, sick kids, you have to cook, etc)

I’m a bodybuilder too, but I’m relatively lax with my kids. I want them to experience a broad diet, which I often fall short on. I can do a better job but talk is cheap when you’re not in the trenches. I try to stress protein with them and eating healthy but it’s not easy.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:

If you give your child grains before the age of 13 you’ve failed as a parent.[/quote]

Your profile says that you’re 23 years old. What can you possibly know about being a good parent?[/quote]

FOOD FIGHT!!!

Creepy question. real creepy

No doubt Thibs Jr. will be on a carb free diet with the only carbs coming from he peri-nap ANACONDA protocol. No doubt by his teens, he’ll be push-pressing 5 plates.

[quote]ghost87 wrote:

END THREAD[/quote]

I’m a parent of 5 year old twins. When I was single, I had thoughts of how I would feed my child, parent, etc.

Once the “bullets” start flying and you’re actually a parent, then these decisions are quite as easy (kids are screaming, sick kids, you have to cook, etc)

I’m a bodybuilder too, but I’m relatively lax with my kids. I want them to experience a broad diet, which I often fall short on. I can do a better job but talk is cheap when you’re not in the trenches. I try to stress protein with them and eating healthy but it’s not easy. [/quote]

Exactly. Spend some time in the trenches before you criticize. I’m with you. While I prefer high protein and low glycemic carbs myself, you can’t enforce this with your kids. The best you can do is encourage fruit over candy and eating protein along with carbs (to slow down the insulin spike). Encourage some activity every day. Do this and you’re doing better than the majority of the population.

I liked the original question, but as a parent I can tell you that all plans go out the window pretty early on when faced with the overwhelming reality of a new human with very individual needs.

Exactly. Spend some time in the trenches before you criticize. I’m with you. While I prefer high protein and low glycemic carbs myself, you can’t enforce this with your kids. The best you can do is encourage fruit over candy and eating protein along with carbs (to slow down the insulin spike). Encourage some activity every day. Do this and you’re doing better than the majority of the population.[/quote]

[quote]ghost87 wrote:

END THREAD[/quote]

I’m a bodybuilder too, but I’m relatively lax with my kids. I want them to experience a broad diet, which I often fall short on. I can do a better job but talk is cheap when you’re not in the trenches. I try to stress protein with them and eating healthy but it’s not easy. [/quote]

Exactly. Spend some time in the trenches before you criticize. I’m with you. While I prefer high protein and low glycemic carbs myself, you can’t enforce this with your kids. The best you can do is encourage fruit over candy and eating protein along with carbs (to slow down the insulin spike). Encourage some activity every day. Do this and you’re doing better than the majority of the population.[/quote]

As a parent to a 7.5 yr old girl and 4.5 yr old boy, I agree with Mikethebear and ghost87.

OdinsMissingEye, unless you plan on being a stay-at-home dad and primary care giver, you’d better be pretty selective about the woman you marry (and her eating habits) if you really want to live up to your statement about feeding kids.

[quote]A Ninny Mouse wrote:
No doubt Thibs Jr. will be on a carb free diet with the only carbs coming from he peri-nap ANACONDA protocol. No doubt by his teens, he’ll be push-pressing 5 plates. [/quote]
I’m pretty sure by the time Thibs Jr. has his first tooth he’ll be eating steel bars and shitting nails.

[quote]stevo_ wrote:
Creepy question. real creepy[/quote]

Why is it creepy? Just because I want to make sure that Thibs’ baby is properly fed before I will eat it? You know, because of the fatty acid profile and all…

Now that would have been a creepy question. What I asked was just a question whether nutritional guidelines for us would extend to infants and growing children. Intuitively I would say yes, but to make sure, I asked. I learned that from my mother :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the (constructive) replies!

[quote]WhiteCrow wrote:

[quote]stevo_ wrote:
Creepy question. real creepy[/quote]

Why is it creepy? Just because I want to make sure that Thibs’ baby is properly fed before I will eat it? You know, because of the fatty acid profile and all…

Now that would have been a creepy question. What I asked was just a question whether nutritional guidelines for us would extend to infants and growing children. Intuitively I would say yes, but to make sure, I asked. I learned that from my mother :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the (constructive) replies![/quote]

My wife lost the baby. Thanks for not posting anything more on the subject.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

My wife lost the baby. Thanks for not posting anything more on the subject.[/quote

Sorry to hear about that Coach CT. Stay strong and take care.

Gus