What Will I Look Like...

i want to start a 5x5 program, most likely stronglifts. ive been training close to a year now, and ive made some pretty good gains. i want to focus on size, and i know this is a strength program, but ive got good size gains when i did rippetoe and i want to go back to doing something close to it, with heavy compound exercises.

im just wondering what i will look like after this. im fairly lean, but i want to get leaner. i plan to eat alot more than i am now, because i havent been really gaining any weight. ive been switching programs around too much.

for example, stronglifts only calls for flat bench. i know they say not to alter the programs, but what if my chest is imbalanced. is it bad to add something like pec deck or cable flyes to try to correct the balance? and also, if im doing any decline or incline benching, how will those muscles be hit?

all the other muscles seem to be hit except those…

How do you expect people to answer this? How would anyone know what you’re going to look like?

maybe like this?

honestly…think about the question your asking.

lean out if you wanna lean out
OR
add mass if you wanna add mass.

one or the other = 10x easier.

[quote]seaside wrote:
for example, stronglifts only calls for flat bench. i know they say not to alter the programs, but what if my chest is imbalanced. is it bad to add something like pec deck or cable flyes to try to correct the balance? and also, if im doing any decline or incline benching, how will those muscles be hit?

all the other muscles seem to be hit except those…[/quote]

I’m just going to ignore the thread title, and your desire to know the future …

Nothing is written in stone. Nothing. You can add in any accessory exercise you please.

Do you have an imbalance? From the sound of it, you have not been lifting long enough or have enough muscle mass to worry about a muscle imbalance.

I would do decline, dips, or close grip FLAT bench press. Not all in the same workout. Maybe rotate them every four weeks. I’m 50-50 with the incline. I just started doing them again after … a long time because I do not want to do military press in an attempt to keep my shoulders healthy.

but I would opt for PlayoffsOrBust picture. Can’t go wrong with looking like Kroc

[quote]seaside wrote:

im just wondering what i will look like after this. im fairly lean, but i want to get leaner. i plan to eat alot more than i am now, because i havent been really gaining any weight. ive been switching programs around too much.

all the other muscles seem to be hit except those…[/quote]

This just sounds dumb. Usually, people don’t get leaner by eating more. And if you haven’t been gaining weight, then you need to focus on that and not being leaner.

And yes, adding an isolation exercise will make any previous work a total waste of time and therefore should not be added because nobody ever built a big chest from adding flyes and pec decks to their workout.

Seriously, what do you really think will happen if you add more work? Go read about progression. I find it hard to believe you’ve been lifting for almost a year.

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
seaside wrote:

This just sounds dumb. Usually, people don’t get leaner by eating more. And if you haven’t been gaining weight, then you need to focus on that and not being leaner.

And yes, adding an isolation exercise will make any previous work a total waste of time and therefore should not be added because nobody ever built a big chest from adding flyes and pec decks to their workout.

Seriously, what do you really think will happen if you add more work? Go read about progression. I find it hard to believe you’ve been lifting for almost a year.
[/quote]

well even if im adding mass, it can still look like im leaning out because im adding more muscle. of course ill add some fat but my bodyfat percentage could drop while i add mass…makes perfect sense…

its just that benching and pushups are the only chest exercises in the workout. can i develop a full chest by just doing these?

[quote]seaside wrote:
hardgnr wrote:
seaside wrote:

well even if im adding mass, it can still look like im leaning out because im adding more muscle. of course ill add some fat but my bodyfat percentage could drop while i add mass…makes perfect sense…

its just that benching and pushups are the only chest exercises in the workout. can i develop a full chest by just doing these?

[/quote]

You can develop a full chest from just bench press, overhead press, and dips.

Your chest MIGHT be balanced from just doing flat bench if thats all you plan to do for eternity.

But its not like you’re going to do Stronglifts program for a week and then BAM your chest is now wildly imbalanced.

My real suggestion is… if you want to bodybuild, then train like a bodybuilder. Hit every angle (within reason) and never have to worry about it.

My crystal ball is broken, so why don’t you try something and see what happens?