T Nation

What Will Happen if I Take No Flavoring?

I’m wanting to take MAG-10 anabolic pulse and ANACONDA, but I’m not too keen on synthetic sweeteners–They always give me a headache. Anyways, I think it’s great that these come flavor-free and we have to just add it in.

My question is this-- If I take it flavor-free, what will happen? Is it just disgusting?

Also, is it possible to add in my own flavoring…like xylitol or some sort of carbless natural sweetener? …Or am I creating some mad science explosion if I go down that route?

I would imagine it wouldn’t taste very good. I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t add your own flavorings and I would encourage you to do so if you opted out of the standard one.

It’s going to taste like a horses ass, or close to anyways…

I bought a can of original Spike and adde it to my SWF this weekend and nothing happened…Oh an I read on Elitefts Dave Tate mixes his Anaconda with gatorade and sometimes rockstar, regularly

I don’t use Anaconda, but I do use hydrolysed whey, WMS, and BCAAs in workout shakes. What I do is buy packs of Gatorade powder, then mix that to taste with the unpalatable ingredients. Palatinose is a good sweetener too.

They tell you to mix it because if you don’t:

YOU’LL BECOME AS POWERFUL AS THEY ARE!!!

You should make a video of you mixing it then gulping it down for us all to enjoy. You’d gain mad T-respect taking it down like a champ.

It just tastes a bit sour, it’s not as bad as everyone claims.

I did this for a couple workouts in a row because I was sick of the flavoring for so long. It doesn’t taste good but its easily doable and you’d probably get used to it after a week or so.

There seems to be considerable personal variation with regard to palatability of casein hydrolysate (and also, incidentally, BCAA’s.)

Personally, I have no problem drinking MAG-10 unflavored, but that’s clearly not the case for everyone.

I did some experiments a couple of years back with regard to improving taste of BCAA’s, after learning of a rather exotic taste-masker (it didn’t work in this application, by the way.) What I found then was that the most important factor was the simplest one: with enough sweetness, the palate accepts the taste of the amino acids. I never found any very substantial improvement beyond that obvious one. The Biotest liquid flavorings have succeeded in going well past that, though.

However, simple sweetness remains rather effective even if by itself.

Just for fun, and since it may be useful information for you, I’ll try some xylitol (1 tbsp) and MAG-10 right now:

Ah, well actually it did about nothing. It tasted nearly the same as unflavored MAG-10.

Increasing to 2 tbsp did provide some noticeable sweetness, but the taste was very predominantly still that of CH.

It seemed unreasonable to me to go past 2 tbsp.

So I’d have to say that xylitol does not work well for this application.

Stevia dropper

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
There seems to be considerable personal variation with regard to palatability of casein hydrolysate (and also, incidentally, BCAA’s.)

Personally, I have no problem drinking MAG-10 unflavored, but that’s clearly not the case for everyone.
[/quote]

It’s probably the same mechanism for tasting leucine, I’d bet… Bill, can you taste leucine? I can’t take either of the things unflavored, and I certainly can’t take leucine by itself.

In response to one of the above posters, as someone who can taste all of these different ingredients, it is significantly more than “just a little sour”. It is EXACTLY the same taste I get as when I vomit.

Agreed, I think it is the same thing as with leucine. Myself, leucine tastes somewhat unpleasant but to nothing like an unbearable degree. Not even 10% of that. For me, it is somewhat similar to buttermilk, but a little moreso. But clearly to many others, it’s much worse.

So for you, having that experience with leucine, I expect you’d definitely need the liquid flavoring to be able to find the casein hydrolysate palatable or perhaps even actually good. Modest amounts of sweeteners such as xylitol, and I would guess stevia, I would guess would not work for you.

[quote]samdan wrote:

[/quote]

It’s probably the same mechanism for tasting leucine, I’d bet… Bill, can you taste leucine? I can’t take either of the things unflavored, and I certainly can’t take leucine by itself.

In response to one of the above posters, as someone who can taste all of these different ingredients, it is significantly more than “just a little sour”. It is EXACTLY the same taste I get as when I vomit.[/quote]

I think you mean me, yeah you might be right. I can just put a scoop of leucine in my mouth and swish it down with a gulp of water. Bit funky but nothing too disturbing. If you have a different experience then yeah you might wanna stick to the liquid flavoring :slight_smile:

There is less taste when putting leucine powder directly in the mouth and then washing down with water, than with dissolving in water first.

So finding it okay when taken dry actually doesn’t indicate positively whether the same person would find it okay when dissolved.

There is less taste when putting leucine powder directly in the mouth and then washing down with water, than with dissolving in water first.

So finding it okay when taken dry actually doesn’t indicate positively whether the same person would find it okay when dissolved.[/quote]

No kidding, maybe I should try the same with MAG-10 :slight_smile:

So finding it okay when taken dry actually doesn’t indicate positively whether the same person would find it okay when dissolved.[/quote]

I’ve “tasted” Leucine once. When I first got Biotest’s Leucine, I touched my finger to the powder, dry, and put my finger into my mouth. It almost made me vomit, and I have never once come close to throwing up eating ANYTHING in my life.

[quote]pradaboy wrote:

No kidding, maybe I should try the same with MAG-10 :)[/quote]

Ah, no, I expect the reverse would be true there.

In most cases I’d do an experiment to verify, but in this case my expectation is that it would be so awful taken dry that I just don’t want to try it.

The reason for the expected opposite behavior has to do with differing solubilities and rates of dissolution. MAG-10 powder dissolves much more rapidly and easily, and I expect it has much higher solubility.

With leucine powder added dry to the mouth, the actual concentration of leucine in solution reaching the tongue will be quite low, and much lower than is the case when the leucine is predissolved into a glass or moderately larger amount of water.

The reverse would be true with casein hydrolysate, I think.

[quote]pradaboy wrote:

No kidding, maybe I should try the same with MAG-10 :)[/quote]

Ah, no, I expect the reverse would be true there.

In most cases I’d do an experiment to verify, but in this case my expectation is that it would be so awful taken dry that I just don’t want to try it.

The reason for the expected opposite behavior has to do with differing solubilities and rates of dissolution. MAG-10 powder dissolves much more rapidly and easily, and I expect it has much higher solubility.

With leucine powder added dry to the mouth, the actual concentration of leucine in solution reaching the tongue will be quite low, and much lower than is the case when the leucine is predissolved into a glass or moderately larger amount of water.

The reverse would be true with casein hydrolysate, I think.[/quote]

In the name of science I will try a 5g scoop tonight and let you know.

:slight_smile: