T Nation

What Were Your Growth Spurts Like?

Hello to whomever may have clicked on this thread.
I would be very grateful if any of you who experienced extremely large growth spurts in short amounts of time or anyone who experienced a growth spurt at a compartively old age could please post a few brief details.
For instance:
What age were you?
How much did you grow by?
Over what length of time was this growth?

Thanks and please note that you don’t have to be an exceptional case for it to be useful to me.

Around 7th or 8th grade I grew about 5-6 inches can’t remember exactly in the course of one year or little over a year-I think like 5’9 or so to 6’2-. Was very clumsy around this time hah. Then through hs growth was slow but around junior year was around my max which is 6’7-6’8 or so.

I grew about an inch at 22 it took me from 6’2" to 6’3". I had no idea that I grew until someone asked me. We measured, and sure enough, I had grown.

[quote]Ready2Learn wrote:
Hello to whomever may have clicked on this thread.
I would be very grateful if any of you who experienced extremely large growth spurts in short amounts of time or anyone who experienced a growth spurt at a compartively old age could please post a few brief details.
For instance:
What age were you?

Thanks and please note that you don’t have to be an exceptional case for it to be useful to me.
[/quote]

I am 41 and 5’8". I was always the runt in school. If memory serves, it was around 10th grade that I started to catch up. The guys that towered over me in 6th, 7th & 8th weren’t so tall by comparison during senior year. I’d say I grew about 3 inches during that period. Maybe 1 inch post-HS.

was 5’10 in 7th Grade…6’0 when I graduated HS at 17…Somewhere between the ages of 19 and 21,I finally reached my current height of 6’3 and 295lbs @ 30yrs old.

This is somewhat unrelated to the topic,but…I noticed that I was a lot stronger after high school even though I rarely worked out and…I also went from 240lbs to 265lbs…during the summer when I was 19 years old. I assumed I was just getting fat…but maybe it was from unloading trucks and pulling heavy pallets while working for Wal-Mart. Would that have been enough to cause that??

Anyways,I always thought that was interesting.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Anyways,I always thought that was interesting.[/quote]

No, it’s not.

J/K!!!

My growth was relatively even. I think I hit my current height (5’10") at either my sophomore or junior year of high school. I kept hoping that I’d get another little spurt in there, but nope, never happened.

I grew a foot during my sophmore year in high school. It might have been closer to 18 months, but I was 5’ tall one year and 6’ the next. The wierd thing was that I never noticed anything was happening, but towards the end of that year all my teachers remarked about how I’d grown. Family members too were surprised. The down side to a growth spurt like that is that I have some stretch marks in the middle of my back and on the sides of my upper thighs and waist.

Kind of wierd places to have stretch marks but I got them that year I grew so much. Up to that point I figured I was going to be a pretty short guy and then the next thing I knew I was average in height. Incidentally my growth prtty much stopped at that point. I weighed 175lbs when I graduated from HS and except for minor fluctuations I naturally seem to maintain that weight.

Mine came in spurts. Around 1st grade I was one of the tallest kids in my class, but over the course of elementary and middleschool, things kind of evened out to the point where I was maybe an inch taller than average. Then, between fall of my freshman year of high school, to spring of my sophomore year I grew from 5’7" to just over 6’, with most of that coming over the summer between 9th and 10th grade. By freshman year of college I had topped out at 6’2".

I was a fat kid, but lost a lot of weight without much effort around 9th and 10th grade also. Went from about 230 at 5’7" to 190 at 6’2". The only thing I did was try not to eat as much junk, and I stopped liking sodas.

Thanks for the input so far!

I have consulted wikipedia and the like to find out what all the sophomore and grade references pertain to in the UK.

(for future posters: if possible please state ages instead, thanks)

At age 13 I was 5’6" about 140ibs.

At age 16 I grew to 6’1" and weighed 225, played football. In college at 18, with training, I played at 245ibs.

I range between 225 and 235 now and am much stronger at 45 then I was at 21. Unfortunately a few steps slower.

Had a few little growth spurts here and there over a 1 month to 2. As a result i got some nice stretch marks on my back that were nice and purple for a while, they’re quite faded now tho. I am 20 now and 6’3.5, I was always quite tall and started filling out with mass more now these days, the height has levelled off…

How much do you think you grew in that 1-2 month period?

Well, I’ve always been hell of a tall person. Probably about 12 years, squeeky voice for about half a year. Must have grown about 10 inches in about 2years from 11years old, up to 6,1, and I think I got the extra 2 inches in my mid teens. Lol. I had cool ass sideburns at 14, and a goate at 15. Suck that.

Oh as as to how it was like. Compare it to the transformation in ‘American Werewolf in London’, ugly. Lol.

Stupid tall people. I hope you bump your heads.

I grew from 5’1" to 5’6" the summer between 6th and 7th grade (12yo). Didn’t really notice until I saw all my friends again.

[edit] Grew another 5" between 8th and 10th grade.

[quote]TheWookiee wrote:
Stupid tall people. I hope you bump your heads.[/quote]

Small man Syndrome, hahahahahahaha. I locve being tall. I can see over fences, which is handy when I’m talking to wilson from Home Improvement. Buduh chehhhh

How much do you think you grew in that 1-2 month period?[/quote]

Hard to say really, I would probably guess anywhere from 0.5 inches to about 1.5 ish. It was back when i was like 15/16 so a fair few years back :smiley:

[quote]2lb Monkey wrote:
TheWookiee wrote:
Stupid tall people. I hope you bump your heads.

Small man Syndrome, hahahahahahaha. I locve being tall. I can see over fences, which is handy when I’m talking to wilson from Home Improvement. Buduh chehhhh[/quote]

I can look face-to-b00bs with tall women, not bump my head in small cars, and not gasp for air like tall people who breathe a thinner atmosphere. :wink:

What age were you?

[/quote]

Let’s see…it was last night, so I was roughly 37 years, 3 months and 22 days.

Let’s see…I grew from (guessing here as I’ve never measured flaccid) 3 inches to 7.1 inches (yes, yes the .1 has been verified by myself, my wife a prior girlfriend and my wife’s current girlfriend) so that’s 4.1 inches or about 110%.

Length of time…man…with all the fish oil I been taking, it was like 3 seconds…oh yeah…then it lasted about 8 minutes as she hit me hard and fast reverse cowgirl…kicked her spurs a few times, grabbed the remote control of the buzzy out of my hands, turned it to 11 and collapsed backwards on top of me…then…I flipped her over and had my growth ‘spurt’.