T Nation

What Weight to Start With?

Hi My names Les and here’s a quick bit about me first!

Please bear with me i kinda rant on! :slight_smile:

I’ll be taking some pics and seeing if I can dig out some from when I was fit, and I was very fit, I USED to be able to run the 100m in 11.09, throw the shot putt almost 14m, and was the 3rd best Hammer thrower in england until I was in my 20’s. I played basketball 4 years above my age in the high school team, have over half of my school and college athletics records( My younger bro has a lot of the others). and used to play badminton, cricket, and football( sorry Soccer) :slight_smile: each day, I trained roughly and hour in school/college, an hour after and 2 hours of an evening. from the age of about 12 upto 23.

Then the normal things happened, got a proper job, got a fiance, didnt have enough money to train and keep my car, so gradually over the las 4-5 years I’ve let all my sport drop apart from managing my dad’s SOCCER team. this is because my dad died in May 08, it was a DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis), this along with a general depression over how bad I’ve let myself get leads me to T-Nation which I used to really enjoy reading through all the forums, wanting to get BIGGER but couldn’t with so many sports.

So here I am 28 next month and feeling over the hill.
I’m starting at the gym this week after a 2 year lay off, I suddenly looked at myself and realised that I’m FAT, not just a little overweight or chubby but FAT. I need to do something about it and I am, the only problem is that I dont know where I should be starting. I mean I know as much as the next guy about workouts, i.e. what set, reps, routines etc. But for the life of me I cant figure out what weight I should start on in each one???

BTW if anyone wants to keep in touch about how I get along or even any advice or encouragement that would be brilliant, and you can also catch me on FACEBOOK - Leslie Mackintosh, Liverpool, UK.

I am fairly new at this also, so my 2 pence my not be worth it. I assume from your past you have the technique of the lifts under control. I started with a 5X5 routine. I picked a weight that I could definitely do 3 of the 5 sets. the 4th and 5th sets were usually short of the 5 reps. I worked up to being able to complete the 5X5. I assume you could do this with any set/rep scheme to get started. I did that for about 2 months. I saw my strength increase quite a bit.

There is an article on the home page that might also be a good one to read. To summarize it: take a 6RM weight and do 30 reps in as many sets as it takes. Try to improve on that each time. First time might take 7 sets next time might take 6 sets…I am doing that right now and i like it alot as it gives me a goal to shoot for. And also keep a log.
Good luck and good lifting

Well if you did Starting Strength, Mark Rippetoe suggests that you start with the bar and add 10 lbs each workout. Considering how long you have been away, it might not be a bad idea.

I’m starting at the gym on thursday so can have a read up on the 5x5. thatks for the advice :slight_smile:

[quote]LesMack wrote:
I USED to be able to run the 100m in 11.09, throw the shot putt almost 14m, and was the 3rd best Hammer thrower in england until I was in my 20’s. I played basketball 4 years above my age in the high school team, have over half of my school and college athletics records[/quote]

Dude, you were a national level athlete just a few years ago. You’ve got to keep that in mind. You might be fat now, but you’re not at all that far removed from where you were.

I’m very sorry to hear about your dad, but it’s good that you realize depression is part of the cause of your condition, and it’s great that you want to change it.

What’s your actual available schedule like? Realistically, not “ideally,” when could you train?

Like the other guys mentioned, 3x5 or 5x5 is a decent program to start with.

Don’t even worry about what weight to start with. Maybe it’s 90 pounds, no, wait, 30 pounds, or 150 pounds… it doesn’t matter. What matters most is that the next workout uses more weight or more reps than the last workout.

I’d also add in some basic cardio to start. Nothing too crazy or over the top. 15-20 minutes of whatever, a few days a week, just to get back into the groove.

I can only train wednesday through to sunday, I have college monday an tuesday.