What Vitamin Supplements Are "Really" Vital?

Hi, For vitamine D i have a lot of sun now so… i will not need.

I just dont want buy a multi vitamin and prefer buy some good supplements, i try to eat everyday vegetable, soon even in the morning vegetable and salad, i don’t eat industrial foods, i try to not eats product with gluten. Just i know that we don’t have everythings now with foods for a lot of reason, so, just a little help for what is important for gym and so on.

i just would like your help for choices,add or take off, so i think about this product on my list.

" omega 3, collagen 5g, zinc and magnesium, creatine not so vital, just i got some good effect, and glycine for sleep "

Vitamin K ? maybe

thank

Appart from D, nothing if you have a balanced meal

4 Likes

ok ok, how to have natural collagen for “cheap” ? but good quality, did u have some advice for make a beverage during the training, thx

2 fish by week for omega 3 is really enough ?

I take vitamin D, but less so now during summer. Other than that I take creatine and two fish oil pills a day.

Nothing wrong with gluten if you can tolerate it.

omega 3 / Zinc Magnesium / glycine and creatine that’s perfect ! i dont think you need something else, eat well balanced and everything will be fine. Theres nothing magic

2 Likes

Yeah for sure nothing is magic, iam care to not take a lot of things, bc u can to be “depend” of that after, but i dont know if collagen is better than glycine ? The problem it is that for make collagen they take all of the “shit” of the meat no?

collagen is for your skin no ? i dont know what else it can do, but glycine is use to reduce stress and slow down the nervous system. I dont think they do the samething collagen and glycine are different.

Collagen are for the tendon, bones, before i have some tendonitis and i recover really faster with that, before ago ur alimentation was different, we eat all of the parts of the meat so we get collagen like that the problem it is that actually we dont eat completely a animals, but only some parts, so all of us dont have enough collagen

1 Like

ok fine but why you compare collagen and glycine ? they both do different things

Vitamins are only beneficial in so far as you are deficient. If you aren’t deficient in anything, no vitamin will provide any benefit. Generally speaking they are well tolerated and easily gotten rid of by the body, so the risk of going over your bodies needs is minimal. Some people take Vit D to cover themselves because there is evidence to suggest large percentages are deficient.

If you suspect you are deficient you should get tested. Otherwise it’s just guess work.

1 Like

Oddly enough, despite being a supplement fetishist, I believe that the only vitamins the average man should take because he is very likely to be deficient are D + K. Vitamin D because nowadays it is difficult to have the right sun exposure, although very little is enough, while vitamin K must be taken when using vitamin D, which can deplete it. Even with two vitamins that are so harmless and beneficial, you can experience side effects, let alone the others. For example, synthetic vitamin B6 can cause neuropathy (also beware of energy drinks), vitamin A is accumulated and you easily risk overdosing in a short time.
The only advice I would like to give in friendship, apart from vitamins D and K which are actually difficult (in my opinion) to obtain with food, are to: eat a handful of dried fruit every day for vitamin E; eat one or two kiwifruit a day for vitamin C; but above all you must (I stress that you should not, but must) eat a portion (100-150mg) of liver or other offal once a week (and no more to avoid poisoning) to satisfy the need for vitamin A (forget all the nonsense vegan-style about pro-vitamin A, beta-carotene and other similar nonsense, because true vitamin A is found only in animal entrails and to reach the vitamin A requirement by eating carrots via beta-carotene, you should consume 500-1000g per day!).
Another thing is when vitamins are used for specific problems, not to treat a vitamin deficiency, but as a real drug. Here the discourse changes.

There are cases in which vitamins can be used with benefits without a deficiency, but I consider this a medication and not a supplement. As for vitamin D, yes and no. Every substance you want to supplement should be tested, but in this case it could be superfluous: if I left home before sun rises and spend all my day in the office, going back to home in the evening, it is not a guess work to hypothesize that I need a vitamin D supplement, is a sure bet! :smiley:

Sure, but by how much are you deficient? What dose taken for what length of time is sufficient to get you back to normal? From there, how much to maintain? WHY are you deficient in the first place? Any side effects? Can the same be Achieved from other methods (diet?)

These are all perfectly routine questions when “medicine” is being taken but literally almost no one considers these when taking “supplements “ (two different words for the same thing really - a chemical you put in your body for a physiological effect) - although it sounds like you have considered many of these things.

1 Like

Yes I agree with all your points. Even if the best and safest approach is to do blood test for every supplement taken, in the years I’ve created some rule of thumbs that works for me. Generally my approach is to consider what is the RDA, what is the safe upper limit, how easy is to cover the RDA with food and how easy it could be to go from the RDA to overdose. For D vitamin for example (that actually is the only vitamin I take, even if I take other supplements), I know that I do never expose to sun (even in summer), so my approach is to just use the minimum required dose that I know being far from toxicity, just for the sake of feel covered, and also use K vitamin to be sure having a good proportion (since they work in synchrony). This obviously is not a good approach if I want to optimize vitamins level to healthiest range. If I want to be sure having the right amount, to avoid deficiencies or to have an optimal level (and not even doctors agrees on what optimal is), I can only test it. For some vitamins (like C and E) I feel generally safe using every day the amount of food right to cover their RDA, so even if I eat other foods that contains them, I don’t care, because toxic amounts are very high, and the ingestion is limited by my hunger :slight_smile: . Other vitamins like “vitamin A” can be complicated and I am afraid of taking it as a supplement without tests, but since I know that its content is limited to very few foods, I make sure to consume these foods in the minimum quantity necessary for covering the RDA, being sure of not ingesting it with other foods. But in that case I am never sure enough of having the right amount and, as you say it is a guess work.

Boron is pretty critical to a host of functions.

This article was first introduced by the lying POS @physioLojik but just because he was a scam artist doesn’t mean the article is any less valid as a reference.

Lol what did I miss?

Omg, you are in for such a great read. John Meadows even came back to post on the boards during that time. Physio wasn’t an endo, and he was selling MD programs and passing them off as his own work.

He had everybody fooled, including me. He would probably still be on here if @dbossa hadn’t done some research on him and discovered he was a huge fake.

Any particular thread?

Can’t seem to find the thread where everything was laid out, best I found was this