T Nation

What Training Routine for this Back?

Hey everyone,

I’d like to start by saying I would like peoples opinion that KNOW what they’re talking about. Not beginners please. Now onto the question.

I have been wondering this for a while. What kind of training routine would get this back? and I mean everyting from exercises, sets, reps, ect. This is a back which doesn’t have very wide or thick Lats but is very thick in the entire Traps. I have tried a few ways to get this back but with no luck due to my Lats growing too much in the process. I’m looking for just extreme Trap development. So…any suggestions?

Same guy

your lats grow too much in the process, you poor thing. let me take you out for icecream to make you feel better. you cant lock yourself up in the house all day feeling depressed, you are making all of us feel bad.

all i see is a guy with love handles and tats, just train your back man, with rows shrugs and deads.

firstly this is the bodybuilding section, where you are supposed to train everything.

your question is just as bad as someone who only trains bench and curls.

HOWEVER - if your lats grow too much and all you want is traps, then why don’t you just use shrugs and nothing else for back? Don’t train anything else other than shrugs, and some deadlifts.

hopefully you read this post and it comes across as ridiculous, as what you are asking for is ridiculous.

as far as rep schemes etc, try them all out and see what works best.

you are not going to end up looking exactly like tom hardy, as people respond to things differently.

[quote]hanban wrote:
your lats grow too much in the process, you poor thing. let me take you out for icecream to make you feel better. you cant lock yourself up in the house all day feeling depressed, you are making all of us feel bad.

all i see is a guy with love handles and tats, just train your back man, with rows shrugs and deads.[/quote]

Well it is a problem when my Traps arn’t growing fast enough. I don’t want really wide Lats. And the man in the pic had to put on alot of weight to play a role in a film, in a film called Warrior he was very lean and still had the same look. At the moment my back exercises are like this -
Deadlifts - 3x5
Seated Rows - 10x10
Weighted Chin Ups - 4x10
Barbell Shrugs - 20/40x1

Retrac your scap on the top of deads if your not already doing so like when you row
Add in more volume/work on your mind muscle connect
Look at the meadows article on the back in the trap section
Add in another row (I’d add in another vertical pull for Lats too but that’s up to you obviously)
Dumbbell rows
Tbar rows
Barbell rows
Kroc rows
Devil rows
Rack deads
All will make it grow man if yea eat

[quote]texas man wrote:
Retrac your scap on the top of deads if your not already doing so like when you row
Add in another row (I’d add in another vertical pull for Lats too but that’s up to you obviously)
Dumbbell rows
Tbar rows
Barbell rows
Kroc rows
Devil rows
Rack deads
[/quote]

What do you mean by devil rows?

Hardy did not do conventional bodybuilding routines. In the special features on the Bronson DVD, his trainer ‘P-Nut’ describes a method similar Waterbury’s HFT and Pavel’s ‘grease the groove’: basically using mostly bodyweight exercises at a high frequency, spread throughout the day and avoiding failure .

P-Nut called it “sending signals to your body” : send enough signals to your body at a high enough frequency + volume and your body will adapt.

Since Hardy’s training was mainly bodyweight focused in Warrior as well (with some kettlebell work), the main trap exercise he used were neck bridges/ neck rolls and other variations.

Herschel Walker used a similar approach and his traps were always his dominant bodypart.

Be aware that there are no guarantees that you’ll respond to the same method and exercises in the same way as Hardy did.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:
firstly this is the bodybuilding section, where you are supposed to train everything.

your question is just as bad as someone who only trains bench and curls.

HOWEVER - if your lats grow too much and all you want is traps, then why don’t you just use shrugs and nothing else for back? Don’t train anything else other than shrugs, and some deadlifts.

hopefully you read this post and it comes across as ridiculous, as what you are asking for is ridiculous.

as far as rep schemes etc, try them all out and see what works best.

you are not going to end up looking exactly like tom hardy, as people respond to things differently. [/quote]

It’s not like I go to the gym and only train back so I dont know what you’re talking about. My legs are a good point of mine and I train them 1 or 2 times a week. EVERYTHING gets hit. And saying just doing shrugs isn’t exactly good advice seeing as though they ONLY hit the upper traps. What about the mid traps/rhomboids?? They are a bit hard to forget when im asking advice on how to develop a back similar to the guy in the pic.

[quote]Iron_Made wrote:

[quote]texas man wrote:
Dumbbell rows
Tbar rows
Barbell rows
Kroc rows
Devil rows
Rack deads
[/quote]

What do you mean by devil rows?
[/quote]
There like rowing at a bit of an extreme up right angle
Like imagine how some guys Tbar row and fatigue and straighten up higher and higher? Well row at the extreme angle but use as much body English as possible to get it up
Some guys even reset the weight on the ground and dead lift it up and row with the momentum
It’s heavy weight and a killer on your whole upper back in a good way

Oh and I saw this on a H4M video so he might be the inventor too
It kills

[quote]Bailey H wrote:
It’s not like I go to the gym and only train back so I dont know what you’re talking about.[/quote]

OP says you are only interested in traps, not lats etc. No one interested in bodybuilding does this. This is a bodybuilding forum.

Post some pictures of your back.

as Roybot said, Hardy has seemingly not trained like a BB at any point in order to look like this
so this is unlikely to be the correct forum for your question.

Do shrugs twice a week. Have a volume day with behind the back shrugs, dumbell shrugs, kroc rows, incline db shrugs, and then a strength day with deadlifts and power shrugs. Don’t neglect your shoulders either. As for sets and reps- for volume go with 4x6, 3x10, 2x12 or 4x8 and throw in some 20+ reps with the kroc rows. For strength- 5x5, 8x3, 10x3, 30x1, you get the point. Also, on your back day, only to 1 or 2 vertical lifts for lats and focus on more on horizontal pulling.

Db chest supported row on a bench. Hits my lower traps like no other.

[quote]Bailey H wrote:

[quote]hanban wrote:

all i see is a guy with love handles and tats, just train your back man, with rows shrugs and deads.[/quote]

Well it is a problem when my Traps arn’t growing fast enough. I don’t want really wide Lats. And the man in the pic had to put on alot of weight to play a role in a film, in a film called Warrior he was very lean and still had the same look. At the moment my back exercises are like this -
Deadlifts - 3x5
Seated Rows - 10x10
Weighted Chin Ups - 4x10
Barbell Shrugs - 20/40x1[/quote]

Just do more sets for shrugs something like 10x10

Look up “Power Look” by CT–Great program from traps. You could have a back day with your rows/deads/pull-ups…etc and then on a day that you do say, shoulders or arms, do the power look program. It works well I use some of the exericses n rep schemes from it and my traps have grown well

When you row - if you didn’t know - you can row higher.

On seated cable rows if you row toward your solar plexus, it will stress your lower traps more and put less on lats

On DB rows I can row higher and still go “heavy”. You can row toward your chest instead of your stomach. More lower traps + rhomboids

On pullups, if you take a wide enough grip - it’s not your lats that lockout the movement. I’m not sure that it’s specifically lower traps either tho. You could also do it with pulldowns I believe, but then don’t use the curved bar - it would help to use a straight one. Actually if you wanted to, on pulldowns you could take a ridiculously wide grip and just focus on the bottom 1/2 or 1/3 of the movement

Pull your shoulder blades back real hard through the entire set for barbell shrugs. Or maybe pull shoulder blades back in each rep as you shrug - I haven’t really experimented much with these ones. This is not the same as rolling your shoulders

Cool thing is that you can keep your same exercises and just tweak your form a bit to emphasize certain parts. My post spoke in your terms of traps vs. lats instead of listing a bunch of extra exercises in an attempt to get them both. Obvious point being to not implement them all and neglect your lats