What To Watch Out For...

Well, I’m finally back in the gym – been so for about 3 weeks now, after a 2-year layoff, and I’m feeling great. Some things I’ve noticed that people who are new to the gym should watch out for are…

1. Keep your eyes to yourself in the locker room. Sometimes there may be old guys standing at the sink, body half-lathered with shaving cream shaving their face, neck, and chest completely buck naked. Just keep your eyes to yourself and you will not be scarred for life.

2. Keep a close lookout for the guy who does all of his training in one place…and when you see him on a machine you want to use, it might be best to go home and come back in an hour. Just yesterday at the gym, this one guy somehow turned an ordinary hammer strength shoulder press machine into his whole body workout machine. First, he did his shoulders, then he converted it into a shoulder shrug machine while standing on seat, ripping it, then he somehow managed to sit inverted atop the seat-back and do some 45-degree curls.

3. Be weary of accepting and using unsolicited advice. If you have a question, ask about it here or ask someone for it that you know – or sometimes, common sense is enough. Some guy mentioned to me the other day while I was finishing out my back/biceps workout that I might want to try doing curls with a 30 in one hand and a 35 in the other hand (yeah I know I’m weak, I was using 35’s) because I was struggling with rep # 10, set # 3 … I watched him for a while…and I realized he was a moron. You know the seated curl machine – he would litterally lift his ass off the seat about 15 inches when the weight went down and use his whole body’s momentum to lift it back up – but he felt really big I mean come on, he was curling the whole stack!

Anyway…be weary and get your information from a good source – like here at T-Nation…and use common sense heh.

[quote]deapee wrote:

1. Keep your eyes to yourself in the locker room. Sometimes there may be old guys standing at the sink, body half-lathered with shaving cream shaving their face, neck, and chest completely buck naked. Just keep your eyes to yourself and you will not be scarred for life.
    [/quote]

I worked at a pool one summer and you wouldn’t believe the number of old guys that would be standing around completely naked in the locker room having conversations with eachother and whoever was brave enough to join in. Just keep your eyes forward and your good to go.

Amen to the advice part.

The other day, during my Bicep/Tricep workout, I was pounding out some Skull Crushers, when. . .

This scrawny, pimple-faced 16 year old came over and said I should focus more on cable tricep pulldowns.

Now, this is not a bad movement, but, I looked over and this kid was flapping his arms around like a duck avoiding a bullet.

I’m guessing he read it in Flex and wanted to show off.

But, instead provided a hearty laugh for my drive home.

You mean you don’t like it when I do my personal grooming naked in the locker room? Oh well, you guys must be gay or something!

If someone in the gym is giving you unsolicited advice that means you are not big/mean looking enough! Unless that person happens to be Louie(or Richard for that matter) Simmons!

[quote]apayne wrote:

If someone in the gym is giving you unsolicited advice that means you are not big/mean looking enough! Unless that person happens to be Louie(or Richard for that matter) Simmons![/quote]

Good one.

What the fuck is it with old naked guys???

I don’t know, but I happened to glance today and I didn’t see much…just a HUGE unshaven bush…cavemen I think these guys are. I mean, isn’t it common practice these days to trim things up down there?

[quote]StevenF wrote:
What the fuck is it with old naked guys??? [/quote]

Maybe it’s that they’re more comfortable with themselves? I don’t think they even think that somebody else might be offended.

I don’t see the problem here, if you don’t like it, DON’T LOOK!

I think nationality also makes a difference, in the gyms back in Sweden (when I used to live there) people used to walk around, talk and laugh in the locker rooms. Nobody thought that that was “strange” in any way but then our look on nudity might be different from other nationalities? Me and my friends spent many summerdays on nudistbeaches, sweet memories;-) Tall, tanned blond girls frolicing in the water, firm bouncy breasts…sorry, my thought wondered off a bit…

(Just to clarify, I’m not talking about the odd “locker room pervert” just average gym-goers minding their own business after the w/o.)

BEWARE THE SAUNA!!!

Man I use the sauna at school, I feel the heat helps my muscles relax. I usually stand because of the men, young and old, that go in there take off there towel and SIT BARE ASSED on the wooden benches, and then cover themselves with the towel. A friend went in there and actually saw a young guy laying down with his face on the wood. He was like dude dont…just dont. dont touch the sinks the same naked fucks brush there teeth or shave in front of the sink butt ass naked and sit their package on the end of the sink. again gentlemen use the towel thats what its there for!