T Nation

What to Put in my 'Mass Gainer' Shake

I’m trying to add some calories to my bulk, and since I’m already eating a lot I thought I would most easily be able to add them in by drinking them. I don’t want to buy any of those mass gainer shakes because of the high sugar content, so I’d much rather make my own. Its also cheaper for me this way.

Right now what I use is

1 cup skim or 1% milk
1 serving all natural PB
2 scoops whey protein (23 grams of pro, 1 gram fat, 2 gram carb)
1 serving of non-fat cottage cheese

Anyone got any ideas for what else to add that won’t make this taste like shit? I’d rather not blend some tuna into this.

Skim milk in a GAINER shake?

I would use whole milk, 2 Tablespoons peanut butter, 3 scoops whey and add 2 Bananas.

You’d ditch the cottage cheese? Any reason for this?

[quote]Mutu wrote:
You’d ditch the cottage cheese? Any reason for this?

[/quote]

Not what I meant, I just meant adding the suggested, and upping quantities.

Use full fat milk rather than skimmed, add some cream and a banana or 2. A small tub of single cream is about 500 calories.

Coconut butter/oil and heavy cream.

1 shot of olive oil = 250 cal (can’t taste it)

oats

[quote]Kensei wrote:
Coconut butter/oil and heavy cream.[/quote]

Just what I was thinking.

Nothing adds calories and improves taste like some heavy cream.

I used to make

1.5cups milk
1 banana
2 scoops whey
1 cup oats
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp honey (not anymore, too much sugar)
2 tbsp peanut butter
8oz vanilla yogurt (ended up taking it out, weird taste)

If you’re brave could try adding some flavoured fish oil

[quote]Cprimero wrote:
If you’re brave could try adding some flavoured fish oil[/quote]

Man, I’ve tried fish oil out of a spoon. I just can’t do it. Tabs for life.

Quoting a post I made a few days ago…

[quote]BimmerCzech wrote:
10 oz water
2 scoops (60g) Grow powder
2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons of extra-virgin coconut oil
2 tablespoons of macadamia nut oil

I have no idea how this tastes good, but it does… it must be due to some sort of weird synergistic effect, since I really don’t like olive oil at all (although the other two oils taste quite good by themselves, especially the macadamia oil).

Calories: 960
Fat: 86g

  • Saturated: 35g
  • Monounsaturated: 46g
  • Polyunsaturated: 5g (7:1 n6:n3)
    Protein: 44g
    Carbohydrates: 4g (2g sugar)[/quote]

If you can get greek yogurt, that is my pick. That stuff is awesome. Hits plain yogurt with it’s own pimp!

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
If you can get greek yogurt, that is my pick. That stuff is awesome. Hits plain yogurt with it’s own pimp!
[/quote]

oh wow… I havent heard THAT in a while. I hit you with your own pimp!

Peanut butter is the shit.

I drink 2% milk like a baby cow when Im bulking, sure it puts on a little fat, but it makes you grow like a mofo.

mine is very similar to most responses:
3 scoops Biotest Grow! Whey
5 grams micronized creatine
1 cup yogurt (any flavor)
2 tablespoon all natural peanut butter
1.5 cups WHOLE MILK

Could always go with half n’ half as an option

I add cream of wheat to my shakes to get some moderately complex carbs in, and its cheap.

[quote]Rattler wrote:
Cprimero wrote:
If you’re brave could try adding some flavoured fish oil

Man, I’ve tried fish oil out of a spoon. I just can’t do it. Tabs for life.[/quote]

I didn’t know they had the flavored kind. I took it raw for years and then discovered tabs.

I admit, I am gaining but I still use 1% or 2% milk because its what my family likes. I just add 1 tbsp of flax oil to compensate the 150 extra calories … plus its mostly omega-3.

[quote]Mutu wrote:
I’m trying to add some calories to my bulk, and since I’m already eating a lot I thought I would most easily be able to add them in by drinking them. I don’t want to buy any of those mass gainer shakes because of the high sugar content, so I’d much rather make my own. Its also cheaper for me this way.

Right now what I use is

1 cup skim or 1% milk
1 serving all natural PB
2 scoops whey protein (23 grams of pro, 1 gram fat, 2 gram carb)
1 serving of non-fat cottage cheese

Anyone got any ideas for what else to add that won’t make this taste like shit? I’d rather not blend some tuna into this. [/quote]

That’s pretty much what I put in my gainer shakes…except I use 2% milk at least and I sometimes put in a banana (makes it even more tasty and thick). After seeing how many calories it has the other day, I’m going to start adding heavy cream.