T Nation

What to Manipulate in My Diet?

Whats up guys I recently heard about FitDay.com from this website actually. Its a quick and easy diet calculator that breaks down everything into percentages and easy numbers so you can figure out your days calorie,carb,protein etc numbers in about 5 to 10 minutes.

Anyways on to the question. After I put all my info in for an average day I got 4.5k calories,
145.4 g fats, 233.9g carbs, and 312.8g protein. Which percentage wise is 32% fat 32% protein and 23% carbs. I’m on what I thought was a bulk diet, any suggestions as to what i should pump and what I should dump?

P.S. Almost every one of those fats are either poly or monounsaturated. Also, I’m a hardgainer.

I’ve been making decent gains but I feel like I’m doing something wrong. Gaining a bit of unwanted fat and not gaining as fast as I think I should.

Apparently anyone who isn’t black or on steroids is a hardgainer these days.

Ok Mr. Science tell me what I am then? I’ve been skinnier than everyone I’ve met my whole life until I started lifting. I started lifting on and off since I was 16. At 16 I was 6’1 150lbs Low low bodyfat %. Now I’m 18. Been lifting seriously for about 4-6 months and I’m 6’2 195 and about 14% bodyfat.

its not mr science… its mr popular…

And if by “gaining a bit of unwanted fat” you mean you expected to gain ONLY muscle and nothing else… well then your expectations are severely skewed. How fast did you think you were supposed to be making gains…?

Starting out skinny doesn’t make you a hardgainer. I was 130lbs when I started lifting.

Here, I’ll make this simple. What are your exact goals? Let’s say 6 months from now… what are your goals 6 months from now in terms of (a) bodyweight, (b) basic bodybuilding exercise poundage, and © measurements (arms, thighs, chest, waist)

Answer those questions and I’ll tell you how you should be feeling, and what you need to do to get there (hint: it doesn’t involve any percentages or equations regardless of your answer)

[quote]Tysdon wrote:
Gaining a bit of unwanted fat and not gaining as fast as I think I should.[/quote]

That’s a bit of a contradiction of ideas. You will gain fat if you’re eating enough for optimal muscle growth. Don’t sweat it, though. Picture your target physique, then add 20-30lbs of fat to it. Now eat and lift and don’t stop until you get there. Then cut.

If you’re worried about the ladies this summer, don’t sweat that either. I guarantee they dig a beast with a bit of fat more than they dig a skinny bitch boy trying to keep his abs.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Tysdon wrote:
Gaining a bit of unwanted fat and not gaining as fast as I think I should.

That’s a bit of a contradiction of ideas. You will gain fat if you’re eating enough for optimal muscle growth. Don’t sweat it, though. Picture your target physique, then add 20-30lbs of fat to it. Now eat and lift and don’t stop until you get there. Then cut.

If you’re worried about the ladies this summer, don’t sweat that either. I guarantee they dig a beast with a bit of fat more than they dig a skinny bitch boy trying to keep his abs.
[/quote]

I know I’ll be gaining some fat. My issue was that I was gaining too much in relation to the muscle I’m gaining. My real question though is my diet. Do I need to change anything?

I’m a pretty tall kid too; and it took me upping my carbs over 400g/day to gain some size. I couldn’t get over 190lbs before then.

Calling yourself a “hardgainer” right off the bat is a weak way out man.

This isn’t rocket science; though many on here think it is, it’s really easy.

Not gaining? eat more. It really is THAT simple.

listen to B rock and what others have said. Eat more and lift heavy. What kind of gains have you made so far?
I’m not the greatest at math, but how do you get 32% fat and 32% protein when its 145.4g and 312.8g respectively?

Also, you’ve gained 45lbs in 2years. How is this bad? Unless its all fat, I can’t see whats wrong with it. What are your starting and current lift stats?

[quote]Rico Suave wrote:
listen to B rock and what others have said. Eat more and lift heavy. What kind of gains have you made so far?
I’m not the greatest at math, but how do you get 32% fat and 32% protein when its 145.4g and 312.8g respectively?

Also, you’ve gained 45lbs in 2years. How is this bad? Unless its all fat, I can’t see whats wrong with it. What are your starting and current lift stats?[/quote]

150 g fat = 300g protein aprox. by calories.

Define lifting seriously for 6 months. I think intensity is more of a culprit for some of the younger people on this site.

4500 cals a day is nothing to sneeze at.

[quote]Tysdon wrote:

145.4 g fats, 233.9g carbs, and 312.8g protein… I’m on what I thought was a bulk diet, any suggestions as to what i should pump and what I should dump?

P.S. I’m a hardgainer.

I’ve been making decent gains but I feel like I’m doing something wrong. Gaining a bit of unwanted fat and not gaining as fast as I think I should.[/quote]

that’s a lot of protein. i am not saying it will kill you but it’s quite a bit beyond the 1g/lb; to get that you must be downing a lot of shakes? (except for the post workout of course) i would do more food and less shakes.

assuming you are lifting hard and smart – i assume most are guilty until proven innocent but let’s just assume – Waterbury writes about fast acting protein (30g whey) and carbs (eg 1 banana) 20-30 minutes before lifting to trigger an insulin release (i guess us regular guys can end up fat this way but if you are truly a hardgainer) to push nutrients into the muscles while training.

and “supercharging” with BCAA’s is worth considering. at your size it would be very expensive since you need >10g (Poliquin would say at least 20g at your weight, or don’t bother) but if your wallet is fat you could trial these for 4+ weeks.

as others have said, let the ego go when it comes to fat gain concerns if you want to pack on the meat.

[quote]thruxton wrote:
Tysdon wrote:

145.4 g fats, 233.9g carbs, and 312.8g protein… I’m on what I thought was a bulk diet, any suggestions as to what i should pump and what I should dump?

P.S. I’m a hardgainer.

I’ve been making decent gains but I feel like I’m doing something wrong. Gaining a bit of unwanted fat and not gaining as fast as I think I should.

that’s a lot of protein. i am not saying it will kill you but it’s quite a bit beyond the 1g/lb; to get that you must be downing a lot of shakes? (except for the post workout of course) i would do more food and less shakes.

assuming you are lifting hard and smart – i assume most are guilty until proven innocent but let’s just assume – Waterbury writes about fast acting protein (30g whey) and carbs (eg 1 banana) 20-30 minutes before lifting to trigger an insulin release (i guess us regular guys can end up fat this way but if you are truly a hardgainer) to push nutrients into the muscles while training.

and “supercharging” with BCAA’s is worth considering. at your size it would be very expensive since you need >10g (Poliquin would say at least 20g at your weight, or don’t bother) but if your wallet is fat you could trial these for 4+ weeks.

as others have said, let the ego go when it comes to fat gain concerns if you want to pack on the meat.

[/quote]

I take about 14g of BCAAs on most workout days. ~7g before and ~7g after. I use Animal Nitro (yes flame me for using non-Biotest products)

and it seems like people are taking this thread all wrong. I’m just wondering about making adjustments towards my diet. The side notes were just to help yall evaluate my position. I’m not trying to cry about how im too fat and losing my six pack and bla bla bla. What I’m doing is working, to a degree. I’m just looking for a more intelligent opinion towards my diet plan, seeing as I’m mostly ignorant when it comes to the whole diet science thing.

and I’m not looking for someone to tell me EAT BIG 2 GET BIG. If I wanted to know that I would go read muscle and fitness or something.

Go with more carbs, especially if you have a hard time gaining weight. Drop some of the fat and jack the carbs up to 40-60%.