T Nation

What to Major In?

Okay everyone, I have a lot on my mind right now, and I decided to post this to see what some of you think:

I am a student at Ohio State University majoring in Psychology but am unsure of whether i should change my major or not. After transferring to OSU, i didnt work out for 2 months because I was so busy and had no money to buy food etc. But i recently worked out and remembered how much i loved it. for a while there i had actually thought about becoming a personal trainer (prior to transferring to OSU). But when i worked out i realized that working out is what i want to do, so it would make sense to major in something like exercise science.

But the thing is, no matter what i decide to major in, im going to have to put bodybuilding on the backburner. its not like, if i major in exercise science, i will be able to put bodybuilding first. If i like both psychology and bodybuilding, i wont be able to bodybuild hardcore even if i major in exercise science. i think it would be cool to one day own my own gym somewhere, though. Exercise science makes sense based on the fact that i want to keep bodybuilding and want to own my own gym, but at the same time, i would have to put bodybuilding on the backburner no matter what i decide to do.

Im sure someone has been in this situation, so what are your thoughts on this?

Many a trainer have zero formal education, you could definately persue a Psychology degree and still if you wanted become a trainer or own a gym.

Go to school online if you’re able and then you’ll have time to pursue whatever you want.

A psych degree will make you qualified for very little unless you continue your education.

Exercise science will make you an overqualified personal trainer.

99% of the time I don’t buy the “too busy to lift” line. Especially when RPAC is free and open from like 5am to midnight every day.

well, do what you like, AND what you can parlay into a career. perhaps pick up a minor in business or something, if you want to start up a gym someday. the one thing is i hear you MUST have a graduate degree to make any money in the psychology field.

another question: When you say exercise science, is that what Ohio State calls the “personal trainer” degree?

why do you say you have to put bodybuilding on the backburner? if there’s a will, there’s a way.

A degree in Exercise Science will NOT make you overqualified to be a personal trainer. Last I remember, you need a degree in the fitness/human performance field to obtain some worthwhile certs, ie. NSCA-CSCS. Psychology wouldn’t get you there.

I workout six days a week and Im majoring in accounting with a minor in communications. Then Im off to law school.

The primary purpose of a classical education is to teach you how to think, read and write. The subject matter isn’t really that important. Pick a major that forces you to read long and complicated material, analyze it, and write about it. If you can analyze complicated material and communicate your thoughts about the material in a clear and direct way, you will have a significant advantage over most of your peers in just about any profession that you choose to pursue.

Obviously, however, if you want to pursue a technical profession like engineering, then you need to major in engineering.

I am going to be bruttaly honest with you… If you can’t find the time to live your life like you want know (like working out) it is because your rationalizing it and its not that important to you.

If a Dentist, accountant, PhD student, professor, consutruction worker, highschool student (insert X job here) can find the time but a physcology major cant do you see something wrong with this picture??

As for the food… eat less quality and get in the quantity (oh noz, what will i do without abz)!!!

Seriously though, if it was really improtant to you, you would find the time… I do, even when I travel for work.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
The primary purpose of a classical education is to teach you how to think, read and write. The subject matter isn’t really that important. Pick a major that forces you to read long and complicated material, analyze it, and write about it. If you can analyze complicated material and communicate your thoughts about the material in a clear and direct way, you will a significant advantage over most of your peers in just about any profession that you choose to pursue. Obviously, however, if you want to pursue a technical profession like engineering, then you need to major in engineering. [/quote]

Even engineering just teaches you how to think… Someone good in math or physics could pick up an engineering book and learn on the job just as well if not better then most “engineering” students who cant do the math…

Then again, lets be real. Almost everything you need to know you will learn on the job or on your own time reading / researching. College just teaches you basic building blocks and where to go to find the answer.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
The primary purpose of a classical education is to teach you how to think, read and write. The subject matter isn’t really that important. Pick a major that forces you to read long and complicated material, analyze it, and write about it. If you can analyze complicated material and communicate your thoughts about the material in a clear and direct way, you will a significant advantage over most of your peers in just about any profession that you choose to pursue. Obviously, however, if you want to pursue a technical profession like engineering, then you need to major in engineering. [/quote]

This is a good post.

My undergrad was Applied Math and my graduate program is Stochastic Systems, both of which are fairly rigorous. I had time to play a varsity sport, which takes more time than hitting 4-5 workouts a week. There’s no need to put bodybuilding on the backburner just because you are in college… in fact, you will have a lot more free time in college, even with the hardest majors, then you do working a 9-5.

Also, in my opinion, an exercise science degree is totally unnecessary for being a personal trainer. My primary job right now is as a personal trainer and I don’t have any formal education or even any certifications in the field.

Double major, or major in one and minor in the other. Maybe get a business-related major, and see if you can minor in exercise science or psychology or something; a gym is a business, after all. It sounds like you’re having trouble balancing school work with the rest of your life (or life with your school work).

Think about what you want, what you have to do, and what you don’t have to do. Eliminate the unnecessary. Try to think of all the ways you can, not all the reasons you can’t. Negative thinking will keep you out of more than just the gym. If you aren’t afraid to work hard, you’ll figure things out.

[quote]Ratchet wrote:
jjackkrash wrote:
The primary purpose of a classical education is to teach you how to think, read and write. The subject matter isn’t really that important. Pick a major that forces you to read long and complicated material, analyze it, and write about it. If you can analyze complicated material and communicate your thoughts about the material in a clear and direct way, you will a significant advantage over most of your peers in just about any profession that you choose to pursue. Obviously, however, if you want to pursue a technical profession like engineering, then you need to major in engineering.

Even engineering just teaches you how to think… Someone good in math or physics could pick up an engineering book and learn on the job just as well if not better then most “engineering” students who cant do the math…

Then again, lets be real. Almost everything you need to know you will learn on the job or on your own time reading / researching. College just teaches you basic building blocks and where to go to find the answer.[/quote]

As an engineering student I will completely agree with this. Also, I dont buy the “i dont have time to work out” bullshit. My football coach would write on the whiteboard before every week of practice, “If you want something bad enough, you will find a way. Otherwise, you will find an excuse.” If I can take 20 Junior and Senior level Mechanical Engineering courses, balance responsibilities with my Fraternity, meetings with on campus clubs, etc and still workout 4 days a week and play intramural sports, you can hit the gym a few days a week. Learn to budget your time, quit spending so much time on Facebook and watching tv/playing video games and you will be amazed how much time you actually have at your disposal. Best of luck

Yeah man. I am triple majoring in nuclear microbiology, thermodynamic physics, and advanced econometrics PLUS getting my PHD as a neurosurgeon. I also have 8 kids at home, two full time jobs - one working as a lab technician, and another as a consultant for a management firm - and an overbearing wife. I also volunteer at the local shelter 20 hours a week, AND coach a little league team. Given all of this I still have time to workout 7 days a week for 3 hours at a time and get my full 8 hours of sleep a night.

It’s all about time management man, even though it looks as if I have no time for anything else, I still ahve plenty of time to log onto T-Nation for 7 hours a day.

You’re a freshman psych major and don’t have time to lift?

Sounds like your time management skills fucking suck. Seriously. If you can’t swing 3-5 hours of training into your busy schedule of boozing, Halo, chasing girls, ultimate frisbee, and 3 hours of actually doing something (class) per day, then you’re going to get really sick of training other people really fast.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
You’re a freshman psych major and don’t have time to lift?

Sounds like your time management skills fucking suck. Seriously. If you can’t swing 3-5 hours of training into your busy schedule of boozing, Halo, chasing girls, ultimate frisbee, and 3 hours of actually doing something (class) per day, then you’re going to get really sick of training other people really fast.[/quote]

x2

Why are you a dick?

[quote]drewh wrote:
Why are you a dick?[/quote]

Toughen up, Nancy.

Drop out, I hear unemployed homeless people have a relatively light schedule. Haven’t you noticed they’re all jaaaaaaaaacked?

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
drewh wrote:
Why are you a dick?

Toughen up, Nancy.[/quote]

Looks like somebody has a new bff.