T Nation

What to Expect Mega Dosing BCAAs

Here is what my doctor gave to me. And then he said “20 gms? I would not worry about it.”

essentially, large dosages can theoretically cause lowered serotonin and dopamine levels.

SUMMARY �?? BCAAs are a primary component of muscle, accounting for over one-third of all amino acids in muscle protein. Muscle tissue demonstrates an increased need for these amino acids during times of physical stress and intense exercise. In addition, these amino acids may help preserve and/or restore muscle mass in individuals following surgery or trauma.

PHARMACOLOGY �?? As with any amino acid, the primary function of the BCAAs is to allow synthesis of proteins. In addition, they may be catabolized to serve as an energy source. In particular, they may be used directly by skeletal muscle, as opposed to other amino acids which require hepatic gluconeogenesis to generate useful metabolic currency. Since branched-chain amino acids may be metabolized by peripheral muscle tissues, supplementation may decrease the rate of protein catabolism under stress (such as in infection and trauma). This will assist in maintaining a balance between serum concentrations of these agents and aromatic amino acids.

TOXICITIES, WARNINGS, AND INTERACTIONS �?? No known toxicity or serious side effects reported. BCAAs compete with the aromatic amino acids for entry into the brain. Since aromatic amino acids are used in the synthesis of neurotransmitters, ingesting large doses of BCAAs may result in a decline of brain levels of serotonin and dopamine. Increased mortality has been documented in individuals with ALS.

SYMPTOMS OF DEFICIENCY �?? Use with caution in individuals with renal or hepatic failure. Human deficiencies are rare. Severe valine deficiency is reported to cause neurological defects. Isoleucine deficiency may cause muscle tremors. There are no reports of leucine deficiencies.

REPORTED INTERACTIONS
Drug/Nutrient Interactions: Antidiabetic drugs

Nutrient/Nutrient Interactions: The branched-chain amino acids (leucine, isoleucine, valine) compete with the aromatic amino acids (phenylalanine, tyrosine, tryptophan) for transport into the brain.

[quote]koffea wrote:
TOXICITIES, WARNINGS, AND INTERACTIONS �?? No known toxicity or serious side effects reported. BCAAs compete with the aromatic amino acids for entry into the brain. Since aromatic amino acids are used in the synthesis of neurotransmitters, ingesting large doses of BCAAs may result in a decline of brain levels of serotonin and dopamine. Increased mortality has been documented in individuals with ALS.
[/quote]

So is it saying that mega-dosing BCAA’s is a risk for those already with ALS or does this increase your chances of getting ALS?

i used to get a gallon of water and put some sort of flavoring in it with 20-30 grams of BCAAs and drink it while i was at work. i would only drink it btween the meals that i ate. i had some really good gains doing it that way too. what do you all think about doing that? ive been wanting to start that back up again.

[quote]Reef wrote:
koffea wrote:

So is it saying that mega-dosing BCAA’s is a risk for those already with ALS or does this increase your chances of getting ALS?

[/quote]
i think it means peopleALREADY WITH ALS

[quote]Reef wrote:
[/quote]

he told me that it is highly unlikely to cause ALS, but also said that nobody really knows what causes ALS. Im going with his “I would not worry about it” quote.

[quote]duddy wrote:
i used to get a gallon of water and put some sort of flavoring in it with 20-30 grams of BCAAs and drink it while i was at work. i would only drink it btween the meals that i ate. i had some really good gains doing it that way too. what do you all think about doing that? ive been wanting to start that back up again.[/quote]

How did you get the BCAAs to mix?

20 grams of BCAAs for me was nice I had alot more energy the next day after lifting. Which means i recovered better.

[quote]gi2eg wrote:
How did you get the BCAAs to mix?
[/quote]
the stuff i have right now seems to fully mix in after about 2-3 hours if i let it sit. the water tastes afwul afterwords which I am taking as a sign that it did mix in and did not otherwise breakdown. But I could be wrong.

powder bcaa’s taste nasty period. but i still drink them. lol.

[quote]bwbski wrote:
powder bcaa’s taste nasty period. but i still drink them. lol.[/quote]

i just threw mine down. YUCK! i even add citric acid for some sort of decent taste but still it’s like liquid styrofoam. mmmmm.

[quote]sumgai wrote:
bwbski wrote:
powder bcaa’s taste nasty period. but i still drink them. lol.

i just threw mine down. YUCK! i even add citric acid for some sort of decent taste but still it’s like liquid styrofoam. mmmmm.[/quote]

Mix it with Crystal Light or Crystal light knock-off. Lemonade and pink lemonade are good flavors to use.

My current mix for a 100g PWO shake is:

33g Hydro Whey
23g Dextrose
24g Maltodextrin
20g BCAA’s

I add 6g of cholocate flavouring and I’ll be damned if it doesn’t taste similar to chocolate Surge - no problem with the taste of BCAA’s - you can also try berry type flavourings which seem to mask the taste of BCAA’s better.

BCAAs seem to dissolve in water if you shake it up a little bit, usually i make my peri workout bottle about 10 minutes before and just shake it (10-20 grams in a liter bottle)

The taste isnt great but slamming them down without letting them dissolve is far worse. The Styrofoam description is quite accurate. But when it is all dissolved i wouldn’t ever say the taste is great, but basically it is a slight alkaline taste to it

I usually use the bottle on weekends for when I am out and about. You get used to the taste after a while but it never becomes “great”

What is the consensus on mixing it with whey though? typically I have a breakfast shake of 10g bcaa and 25-50g of whey. The study that was posted led me to believe it wouldn’t matter. Because free form would just be absorbed and not really digested like the protein.