What to Eat When Sick?

When you have the stomach flu and are naseus as hell what do you eat? My parents recommend simple carbs like white rice, but I haven’t eaten that food in years and I figure it would freak my body out. BUT I have no fat reserves to run off of, so my body needs SOME energy…

I’m just guessing, but when people recommend simple carbs to sick people it’s because that’s what most people fuel their body with, so it’s easy for them to digest.

It’s been a while since I was sick, but the following always helped my stomach: Bananas, Chicken Broth, Milk (maybe low carb milk would be better). I’d try plain Chicken Broth first, if that stays down, add a little chicken to it a few hours later, maybe some olive oil. If it’s just one of those 24 hour things, let it run it’s course for a while.

Thanks. I have been doing broths, some meats like salmon, really well cooked veggies, and then fruit - more carbs than I am used to, but not a TON…what protein is the best? Should I even have protein? Can my body digest fat in this state?

[quote]sarah1 wrote:
Thanks. I have been doing broths, some meats like salmon, really well cooked veggies, and then fruit - more carbs than I am used to, but not a TON…what protein is the best? Should I even have protein? Can my body digest fat in this state?[/quote]

Yes, you should have protein, the kind really doesn’t matter.

Yes, you can digest fat.

Whatever you can eat without getting queasy and plenty of fluids.

Cool. Thanks. I’m feeling slightly better right now, so I’m being cautiously optimisitic. How long does the stomach flu usually last?

Stomach flu usually last 1-3 days, depending on the person. I usually take 3-4g of Vitamin C as well when I’m sick.

Hope you feel better soon.

I don’t think taking Vitamin C helps…just rest & drink lots of fluids.

nothing… the body is sick and it needs it’s time off. Keep fluids up that’s all but basically fast.

Don’t get all paranoid about losing a pound or two, you’ll put more back on later.

I think health is neglected way too often in bb circles and we get caught up in the idea of losing 200 grams of muscle at the expense of promoting true health.

If you’re sick, let your body be and just stay hydrated. The feeling of not wanting to eat is an instinctual response and we ignore it and assume we have to force food in there. Unless you have a serious ailment that requires food, then best not to eat and waste energy on digestion.

My two cents.

Yeah, don’t worry about the weight. I had jaw surgery and lost a few pounds, because I couldn’t eat solid food for ages…now that’s something worth worrying about. A cold is nothing.

[quote]Digity wrote:
Yeah, don’t worry about the weight. I had jaw surgery and lost a few pounds, because I couldn’t eat solid food for ages…now that’s something worth worrying about. A cold is nothing.[/quote]

Oh, I know - what scares me is that less than a year ago I felt very similar to this and it ended up being a 4 month long illness that left my body ravaged at barely 100 lbs (down from 120) and had me in the hospital. Then I was nauseus once before that about 3 years ago and that illness also had me in bed for almost 4 weeks and had me drop 10 lbs. SO…that being said getting nasueaus freaks me out…it almost never happens but boy, when it does I am usually in for it…

well then you need to find the cause of that nausea and whether or not you can avoid it or heal from it from some foods and not others.

When flu or colds put us down we were always given chicken soup, saltines crackers and Vernor’s Ginger ale. It sure made us feel better. Now when ever a lady tell me she is down with the flu or a cold I show up with Chicken soup, Saltines & Vernor’s Ginger ale. It still works.

When you get better, go back to the correct diet and exercise. For now take a much needed break and get better. Everybody needs a rest break now and then, nature just sent you a message to take a break.

[quote]sarah1 wrote:
Thanks. I have been doing broths, some meats like salmon, really well cooked veggies, and then fruit - more carbs than I am used to, but not a TON…what protein is the best? Should I even have protein? Can my body digest fat in this state?[/quote]

If you can keep it down yes. If this thing doesn’t go away in a week go see a doctor.