T Nation

What To Eat When Sick?

My old man has been under the weather all weekend and since my mom is out of town, I decided to help him out. He’s been vomiting all day today and felt nautious and a little dizzy. I’m not sure what’s wrong with him, but he’s going to see the doctor tomorrow if he’s not feeling any better.

Anyway, replenishing his electrolytes and keeping him hydrated seemed like the most important thing right now, so I whipped up a little broth with some organic chicken broth that I steeped with jalepenos, fresh lime juice, garlic and ginger and then strained, mixed with a little white honey and poured over fresh baby spinach with a little salt and pepper.

Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Anything he can hold down ANYTHING. bland is usually the best bet and yes lots of fluid with some sodium, potassium etc gatorade would be great in this situation.

Best of luck

Nope, sounds like you did well, Wolfgang Puck. I hope he feels better.

Avoid too much sugar as during a period of gastro-intestinal distress, the presence of sugar in the gut can itrritate the lining, which during illness such as your father’s is in a fairly delicate state. That’s what I’ve been told anyway. Seems to work for me.

I’ve personally found dry toast (and yes, it can be white and no you can’t have four fried chickens and a coke too) and boiled plain spuds and things like plain crackers work okay. At the end of the day as long as you’re ingesting sufficient water to maintain hydration you’ll be alright for a few days. Once you go a week without holding down solids, then you’re ready for the drip and other assorted goodies.

Jewish penicillin (plain old home-made chicken soup) can also be pretty effective as long as it’s not too salty or spicy. Good quality (ie low in trans fat) potato chips can help with carbs and salt if your dad is feeling a little better.

Hope my meandering reply helps.

I followed up with him earlier and he can’t hold anything down except water. Fortunately, he’ll be seeing the doctor tomorrow morning. Hopefully it’s nothing too serious (I’m thinking it’s just a bug). Thanks for the replies/advice.

Best of luck keep us informed. Im sure it’ll be all good

Phill